Live from the Sapphire Princess

ohhbother

Sabayon is was free meal promotion son won premiere photo draw today getting formal pics done all night. I would have won $250 art but did not know I entered and was not present to get my prize. Veg pizza excellent thin crust. All restaurants are celebrating my birthday. Word got out.

5:45 dinner in V I d a l d I s. Other 6 pm. Not so busy at 5:45. Soda Plus pkg. not pleased diet coke is flat, some tastes salty. Staff say not filtered?.. Not sure why I am finding this quite often. But my last time with this. Pre bought small bottle water for room. Better to bring own soft drinks on. La Rochelle replaces le verdin due to port strike. Smooth sailing , sunny, days in port. Pub lunch was offered but I did not have it. Shops carry a bit nicer line of handbags, clothing. $10 junk sale today.

My last time on princess was the dawn in 2012 so menus have changed from then less selections. Have not checked desserts but had hazelnut soufflé. Cheese plate had almond slivers 3 pieces cheese and 2 apprict

Have they moved the 6pm traditional dining to 5.30pm yet? Don't like them doing that. I pick 6pm, then that is what I want.:evilsmile:

We always ask for the 6pm TD time and for the past two years on all our Princess cruises we get the 5:30 dinner time. We switched from ATD to TD two years ago. From what I have read on CC, the 6 pm TD dinner time just does not exist. We would certainly be happier with the later time but ....

It involves a bus, two boats and a train, and when an on-time return to the ship is contingent on three different transportation modes, I am more comfortable being on a ship’s tour. Often doing ship’s tour mean you lose time doing or seeing things you might not be interested in, but this tour was perfect. It’s a long day; there was a lot of napping on the return bus ride.

I strongly agree that if there is even a small danger of not getting back to the ship on time, I prefer a ship excursion. When three different transportation modes are part of the private excursion, like you I would defer to the ship excursion. I have seen a single mode of transportation (bus) break down and anxious minutes pass by as we waited for a replacement. I have been a quite a number of ship excursions where we returned to the ship late and of course they waited.

I have worked with commercial kitchen appliances for the past several years. In a commercial kitchen and particularly a ship galley, open flames are a very serious hazard as many a fire has started fed by grease. It can be mostly from the grill cooking beef/pork or from the deep fat fryers. Grease will ignite as many commercial kitchens have found out (most because they did not keep the flue clean). The only way I know to put the crust on creme brulee is with a flame to scorch the sugar. I certainly can see a head chef not allowing any open flame in his galley. It well could be from prior experiences.

Also on the Sapphire at the moment having just had a wonderful morning wandering around beautiful La Rochelle. Princess (or the port) provided a free shuttle into town. So now we’re in Alfredo’s with a window table looking across to the Ile de Re - let’s hope the pizza is as good as the setting!

We had a great day in St Peter Port, Guernsey where we rented a car. The weather was glorious and we saw the whole island stopping for walks on cliff tops and beautiful beaches. There was even time for a walk around the town before getting the tender back to the ship.

Tomorrow is Bilbao where we are told there is another free shuttle into the city - and the weather looks good as well, what more could we ask?

Just to update, the Tarantina pizza with additional anchovies was delicious!

Omega1...thanks for taking the time to continue this Live thread.

We board the Sapphire in June & appreciate anything you could share.

Would you know if Sabatini’s has the original menu or the new Sabatini’s Trattoria menu?

Just back on board after a lovely visit to Bilbao. Princess (or the port) once again provided a very convenient and efficient free shuttle.

The Sapphire Princess is in great shape with lots of new carpets and upholstery. New tables and chairs in the buffet. I haven’t seen any worn furnishings whatsoever. Our cabin has the new super comfy bed and large screen tv with on demand functions. Internet is reasonably quick (by cruise ship standards). The exterior of the ship looks good with its new paint job.

Crew are, as usual, very obliging. Only on one evening was dinner service very slow - but what does it matter in the grand scheme of things?

So, 10 out 10 from me!

Just off to check the Sabatini’s menu.

Just had a look at the Sabatini’s menu but I’m not sure what you mean by trattoria style. The menu is headed ‘Sapori D’Italia’ - tastes of Italy and appears to be a standard Antipasti/ Pasta/Secondi Piatti type menu. Does this help or do you want anything more specific? I tried to take a photo of the menu but it is under glass and there was too much glare/reflection.

Is anyone able to confirm which restaurants normal passengers can eat at and which are speciality ones costing extra? Also is everyone saying that the fountain soda is nasty as if so wont be buying that package. Thanks.

Omega1, has an Alfredo's been added to the Sapphire Princess?

I think there has always been an Alfredos on Sapphire it is by International Cafe/Vines wine bar.

It was added in 2012.

It was not built with one.

Is anyone able to confirm which restaurants normal passengers can eat at and which are speciality ones costing extra? Also is everyone saying that the fountain soda is nasty as if so wont be buying that package. Thanks.

Normal passengers can dine in the buffet, MDR and Alfredo’s. Abnormal passengers can dine in Sabatinis, Sterling Steakhouse, Crab Shack at additional cost.:D

why not, Coral?...how does that effect your dining, not dinning , experience?

now I do understand it adding those takes away from the "normal" menu items...

and semi-thread hijack...your postings of upcoming itineraries not 'released' by Princess yet is OUTSTANDING, and very much appreciated..

now back to our regular programing , I can't see us buying an 'upgraded' entrée in the mdr...but, I do understand if someone wants to do a surf and turf and SHARE...;p

why not, Coral?...how does that effect your dining, not dinning , experience?

I have to say I am not impressed with the new menus that were recently posted. The easiest way to ask what menus Sapphire is using was in reference to this.

To each their own. Personally - I am tired of the upsell environment.

Do they have the new menus which has extra cost items (upsells) such as Rib Eye (from Sterlings) in the dining room? I sure hope not.

No additional cost items on MDR menus.

Just had a look at the Sabatini’s menu but I’m not sure what you mean by trattoria style. The menu is headed ‘Sapori D’Italia’ - tastes of Italy and appears to be a standard Antipasti/ Pasta/Secondi Piatti type menu. Does this help or do you want anything more specific? I tried to take a photo of the menu but it is under glass and there was too much glare/reflection.

Thanks & that appears to be the original menu.

Appreciate attempting to take a photo but can view both versions on the Princess website. Some ships Sabatini’s have been remodeled to a more contemporary Italian design & use the new Italian Trattoria menu. As I recall even some non-renovated Sabatini’s use the new menu which you already answered is not on the Sapphire...thanks. :)