Explorer v Mariner

flossie009

Thank you also your generosity and detailed comparison. Unless I missed it, the fitness area / gym on the Explorer is so much better than all other Regent ships put together. We love sea days and being able to easily get a good workout is important to us, since the drinks/food/desserts are just too tempting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the great summary, photos and comparisons of the two ships! Sorry to have missed meeting you on the crossing.

I think we’ll probably try Explorer at some point, if all the itinerary, timing and value stars align. And perhaps the other ships as well. And we will definitely sail again on Mariner.

Thank you also your generosity and detailed comparison. Unless I missed it, the fitness area / gym on the Explorer is so much better than all other Regent ships put together. We love sea days and being able to easily get a good workout is important to us, since the drinks/food/desserts are just too tempting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great point! Nothing compare to the fitness/gym area of Explorer.

Great point! Nothing compare to the fitness/gym area of Explorer.

Unless you are in a wheel chair (or even use a walker); impossible to get to gym without steps. I hope they at least put in a ramp on Deck 6 (of course, that assumes you can make it through the myriad of doors (Cabin 684 ;)) to make it to gym on Deck 6.

Many folks confined to wheel chair still work out in the gym; at least to maintain upper body strength.

Marc

flossie: Another thank you for this terrific thread— and the many others as well.

Your post #4 — the photos of the balconies — really caught my attention: something I don't think anyone has mentioned previously (or maybe I just missed it). We've never felt at all cramped in the "basic" veranda suites on Mariner (and love those showers). The large sliding glass doors enabled us to feel somewhat a part of the outside; they definitely expanded our sense of space and comfort. The photo of the F2 suite on Explorer makes things look very claustrophobic to me; and, yes, a good deal darker than one could wish. Not to have the nice view of the passing landscape from one's cabin seems just about as bad to me as not having the great outside views forward and aft on Mariner. (I very much agree with what Wes said abut that no forward deck decision.) Do you happen to know if all F2 suites are closed in like that? Does anyone else know?

Again, thanks much for all the good detail here and from your various other posts. Glad you enjoyed your cruises and may there be many, many more such pleasures.

poss: You get views from the bed on Explorer (F1/F2/Concierge suites). The balconies are considerably larger than on Mariner (and the bathroom and closets are definitely larger). In my opinion, photos do not do justice to the suites on Explorer.

Thanks, Ron & Rick

We are following your blog and Zqueeze with great interest as our next Regent cruise is on Mariner from SF to Miami through the Panama Canal in September.

Keep up the great information and glad you are enjoying your cruise on Mariner :cool:

Thanks, but your post are just to good. We are having a bunch of fun, but it doesn't take much for us to have fun.

My impression was that while the bathrooms (in comparable cabins) are larger on Explorer, the showers, in fact, are larger on Mariner. Is that correct? In any case, we were fine with the size of the bathroom on Mariner, and I'm sure we'd be fine with the shower on Explorer, even if it's a tad smaller.

My impression was that while the bathrooms (in comparable cabins) are larger on Explorer, the showers, in fact, are larger on Mariner. Is that correct? In any case, we were fine with the size of the bathroom on Mariner, and I'm sure we'd be fine with the shower on Explorer, even if it's a tad smaller.

I almost forgot that many of the bathrooms changed to shower-only due to how dangerous the bathtubs were so, yes - Mariner showers are larger than Explorer but the bathrooms themselves are quite a bit smaller.

ronrick - not that I haven't confused names myself - but. you are on the Mariner - not the Marina. Sometimes I wonder why Oceania named a ship that was so close to the name of their sister ship. :)

I almost forgot that many of the bathrooms changed to shower-only due to how dangerous the bathtubs were so, yes - Mariner showers are larger than Explorer but the bathrooms themselves are quite a bit smaller.

ronrick - not that I haven't confused names myself - but. you are on the Mariner - not the Marina. Sometimes I wonder why Oceania named a ship that was so close to the name of their sister ship. :)

I’m sure that was a spellcheck issue in Rick’s post. Many times in his thread he’s spoken about Mariner.

As to the bathrooms, maybe larger is important to some, but we found the Mariner bathrooms to be more than sufficient and the shower was great! I’d much rather have more room in my suite than a larger bathroom.

Point of clarification, no matter if a new Contractor or the Contractor from Explorer is building the Theater, the actual designs/drawings are what specifies what the final results will look like and how they will function. Hope the designs have been modified to fix all of or at least some of the issues that have been identified on the original build.

Point of clarification, no matter if a new Contractor or the Contractor from Explorer is building the Theater, the actual designs/drawings are what specifies what the final results will look like and how they will function. Hope the designs have been modified to fix all of or at least some of the issues that have been identified on the original build.

Neither you nor I know the details -- I just know what was suppose to happen did not happen. Whether it was the designer, the drawings, the contractor not following the plans, it did not come out correctly (and they were still trying to fix some issues when we boarded the ship for the christening cruise). This is in the past - and Regent has it under control. My point was simply to highlight changes that for Splendor.

Thanks to Marc, CruzStart (see you in November), islandhalls, gjkov, poss, grandmommy & Onkel Ken for your kind words.

islandhalls, Thanks for filling in on our omission in not mentioning the gym (maybe you can spot our priorities ;p). Although the gym on Explorer is extensive and well equipped, the access arrangements are bizarre as pointed out by Marc.

TC2 reported that Regent are reviewing the layout at the entrances to the Spa and Pacific Rim on Deck 5 of Splendor. One can only hope that they have done a thorough design review of decks 4 to 6 aft of the rear lifts to ensure that some of the peculiarities on Explorer are not repeated on Splendor.

TC2 reported that Regent are reviewing the layout at the entrances to the Spa and Pacific Rim on Deck 5 of Splendor. One can only hope that they have done a thorough design review of decks 4 to 6 aft of the rear lifts to ensure that some of the peculiarities on Explorer are not repeated on Splendor.

It is my understanding from an onboard source (not my normal source) that the aft elevator will still not go down to deck 4 (where CR is for those that have not been on Explorer). Perhaps moving Pacific Rim aft will have more people using aft elevators instead of so many using the front elevators. It seemed pretty clear that they don't want CR to be a walk-through dining venue.

WRT Splendor, one improvement I noticed is flipping coffee connection to port and Meridian Lounge to starboard. For such a small change, this should make a big improvement. With coffee connection, reception, and Pacific Rim all on same side of aft elevators, the only. ones that should walk across the narrow landing in front of the aft elevators are those going to spa. If one assumes that most people going to spa come from their rooms, if they take the rear elevators or rear stairs, they should be only ones on that platform heading to starboard side. There are, however, restrooms now on starboard side instead of port so they are no longer close to Pacific Rim (but still shorter walk than restrooms from Compass Rose). A somewhat ingenious way to mitigate a bad situation; I hope it works.

Marc

Perhaps moving Pacific Rim aft will have more people using aft elevators instead of so many using the front elevators.

TC2,

Sorry, but I am not understanding this comment about moving Pacific Rim aft.

Pacific Rim is already aft on Explorer. Are Regent intending to move the venue even further back on Splendor?

How will this affect the numbers using the aft elevators?

Marc,

Thanks for the logical theory on why the lounge and Cafe/Coffee Connection have been flipped ................ and there was me thinking it was just Regent applying Feng Shui ;) :D

TC2,

Sorry, but I am not understanding this comment about moving Pacific Rim aft.

Pacific Rim is already aft on Explorer. Are Regent intending to move the venue even further back on Splendor?

How will this affect the numbers using the aft elevators?

You have been on Explorer much more recently than we have - I just do not recall Pacific Rim being next to the Spa. As I recall, the Spa on Explorer has a very large, long entrance (and was next to the puzzle area). Pacific Rim was at the other end of the ship (not shown on the current deck plan). I did hear that Pacific Rim was moving but both deck plans show it in the same place (aft). I did mistake forward and aft - so, if Pacific Rim on Explorer is aft next to the spa, I am badly misremembering the ship - even after sailing on her 54 days.

There are faults on the Explorer that we all hope will be remedied on the Splendor. I could not work out when Explorer is due for a dry dock and if so which of its faults will be remedied. Overall we like it very much, even though we are reverting to the Voyager next week, mainly for timing and itinerary reasons. Back to Explorer in August and January. We miss Pacific Rim so much!

You have been on Explorer much more recently than we have - I just do not recall Pacific Rim being next to the Spa. As I recall, the Spa on Explorer has a very large, long entrance (and was next to the puzzle area). Pacific Rim was at the other end of the ship (not shown on the current deck plan). I did hear that Pacific Rim was moving but both deck plans show it in the same place (aft). I did mistake forward and aft - so, if Pacific Rim on Explorer is aft next to the spa, I am badly misremembering the ship - even after sailing on her 54 days.

I can assure you that Pacific Rim was situated at the aft of the ship last month and also last year in April 2017; on the opposite side of the ship to the Spa ................... as shown on the Deck Plans.

I may be wrong but I don't think Pacific Rim was ever in another location on the Explore; I can't imagine anyone attempting to relocate that 3 ton Tibetan Prayer Wheel :*

There are faults on the Explorer that we all hope will be remedied on the Splendor. I could not work out when Explorer is due for a dry dock and if so which of its faults will be remedied. Overall we like it very much, even though we are reverting to the Voyager next week, mainly for timing and itinerary reasons. Back to Explorer in August and January. We miss Pacific Rim so much!

There is a 2 week gap in Explorer's schedule between October 29 and November 12, 2019; which is when I understand Explorer is scheduled for her first dry-dock.

I have no idea what work will be attempted at that time apart from the normal replacement of carpets and soft furnishings.

On a separate note: Has anyone noticed the change to the deck plans for the Constellation Theater, specifically the deck 5 portion, on the Splendour. It appears that the plans call for a much shorter front balcony on deck 5. This hopefully will improve the sight lines and open the bottom bowl of the theater to everyone on deck 5.

Time will tell if they got it right this time.....