Live from the Prinsendam - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer - May 5th, 2018

kazu

The area where the legalized privateers were harboured (aka pirates). They were legalized by Elizabeth 1 to help protect England. Sir Francis Drake is one of the more famous ones who was here.

5f914e2d3a5e8f0ca47bc9016de99780.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is this ugly thing? It's used to collect and process the Cornish clay. You know those magazines with the glossy, shiny papers? Guaranteed those pages are made with Cornish clay.

1cb087ce6f9de3c7b4c17031c57d5ae6.jpg

You have so many postcard-perfect photos! Thanks a bunch for taking us on your photo journey.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

Thanks Gerry. Kazu broke the bank today shopping along with sight seeing and now, is resting at the Quay with a glass of wine and a small bite to come.

Free wifi - so hope you don't mind more pics ;)

This is the block house on the other side. And the remains from the French war. There is one on each side. During the war they had a chain that reached from one side to the other and if an invading ship came in, they pulled the chain so that the ship was thrown off course and would crash and sink.

70ba4fbf17018c025509049875f3b1a6.jpg

No swimming is allowed in Fowey because it is such a busy commercial port and the currents are very tricky. Our guide told us that over 600 million gallons of water pour into this harbour every day. Our ship can't leave until later as we were at low tide when we did this boat tour and the ship needs high tide so not to hit the sand bar. It's tricky getting in and out.

49d2921ae270013e33e1f00637e186d8.jpg

4a8dc57311c26a5a1c4e2ed783e45b28.jpg

This is Dawn Frend's house (sp?). I hadn't heard of her but apparently she is a famous actress and quite well off. I have to agree from the looks of the house.

There was a red bulb shaped thing I saw on one side and I asked our guide about it. Our guide said there was one on each side.. If you are too close to Fowey, it's red. If your are to close to the other side, it's green. And, if you are in the right spot for safe trasversing, it's white. Amazing.

6c5fc7c5e8638d156b0cfedb0093035c.jpg

And we were at the end of our boat tour.

A final pic. If you are in Fowey, I highly recommend it. Cost was 8 pounds and the 6 of us that were on thought it was worth every shilling.

It was beautiful scenery, very informative and very enjoyable.

da67b1ae32b3b6d007eeee6005eecd79.jpg

We did a bit more exploring, had a nice local bite (gotta savour the flavour) and headed back to the ship. I took these from the ship on the top deck. I think you can see how hilly it is. The lovely shops and houses at the sea level are worth over 1,000,000 pounds.

The houses at the top of the hill are within the people's price range to buy. Let's just say if you are going to walk that every day, you have to be in good shape ;)

d96c18b8c2285a8fd9794447dc4972e5.jpg

This shows you the entrance to the harbour.

A beautiful harbour. If you get an itinerary with this port and you don't mind walking, it's an easy diy. We had lovely weather (unbelievable) and great day. I was teasing the locals that we brought the good weather with us and they agreed.

9914b9ccf7e60006a2ed725fbe46c587.jpg

4a8dc57311c26a5a1c4e2ed783e45b28.jpg

This is Dawn Frend's house (sp?). I hadn't heard of her but apparently she is a famous actress and quite well off. I have to agree from the looks of the house.

Not sure, but I think that is Dawn French's home. She is an actress and comic. Anyway, it looks fabulous!

Not sure, but I think that is Dawn French's home. She is an actress and comic. Anyway, it looks fabulous!

Yes, that is the name that the guide gave me. I'm sorry that I wasn't familiar with her. Thanks for the help.