Live from the Prinsendam - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer - May 5th, 2018

kazu

Fowey is full of beaches and I do mean beaches.

They are beautiful.

There are 50 beaches on the island but only one dog friendly beach year round.

The views are astronomical. My pics won't do it justice.

d9dccd29042b8863705f6b9b68242bae.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

38308b57f1c96464e08638acc4e285ad.jpg

The island is all granite. That is what you will see rising up.

Tides are very fast in these waters. One of the reasons ships have difficulty tendering.

Our guide said that if you can dive here, you can dive anywhere.

It was amazing. I don't know if the sun will hold until the 11 pm sail a way or not.

We sailed away much earlier in the day and it was also amazing. Many people assembled on both sides of the Fowey River to bid us farewell.

They are called chips here.

Brits are renowned for "chips with everything" so when we cruise it is no surprise to see "Sandwich and chips" on the menu. The surprise comes when it arrives with crisps!

We opted not to pay the 40 pounds per couple.

Ouch! It is one of the main attractions in Dover, but even so, that is a bit steep. Appropriate with the approach.

We haven't been there, never enough time on boarding or disembarkation day, so we did think about making it a day trip sometime. I think I'll stick with my childhood memories, although we were not allowed in the war time tunnels then, still full of military.

So yesterday was St. Peter Port, Guernsey.

OMG what a beautiful spot.

Phew! When you arrived in Cornwall, I thought you had skipped Guernsey. My mother was born in Jersey, a different island, but probably similar (same Geology I imagine). We haven't been there yet, nor the Isles of Scilly, so still some cruising to do.

I don't know if the sun will hold until the 11 pm sail a way or not.

Even in June it will have set by then I think, though it could still be dusk, but in May my guess is it will be dark (astronomical twilight). I must read on and find out.

The roads are very narrow.

Much of Cornwall was like that, once you got off the trunk roads. It may well be like that now still, I haven't been there in 50 years. In those days we all had little cars, no SUVs, but it was still harrowing driving through the lanes.

how amazing it was that these ancient people knew that shells would last

Maybe they didn't but they just used them for adornment. At Walton on the Naze there are shells in the Red Crag cliffs, which just look like ordinary sea shells that you find on the sea shore. These however are ancient fossils. The ordinary day tripper doesn't realize this, but geologists know when the deposits were laid down. Young by the rest of UKs geology, but contemporary with early man I think.

They can't carbon date it because of the granite
They should be able to carbon date the shells, it would only need a small scrapping from one. But maybe the owner does not want the relics disturbed.

We sailed away much earlier in the day and it was also amazing. Many people assembled on both sides of the Fowey River to bid us farewell.

We sailed away earlier too. Just around 9 pm. Tides must have made the waters deep enough by then.

All aboard was 8 pm so it made sense. It was still ight and I got some pics ;)

Beautiful sail a way.

Phew! When you arrived in Cornwall, I thought you had skipped Guernsey. My mother was born in Jersey, a different island, but probably similar (same Geology I imagine). We haven't been there yet, nor the Isles of Scilly, so still some cruising to do.

I am just behind in my postings. We certainly got to Guernsey. don't tell anyone from there that they are similar to Jersey. They will vehemently deny it ;)

We are in Isles of Scilly today. That makes 3 out of 3 tenders :)

Pretty good. But, the tender ride was an adventure. I'll share that when I get there.

Jacqui - I knew you'd love Guernsey and glad things went well tender wise - nice ramp hmm?

LOL - yes, just 12 people at a time. There was no security person when we were tendering back though and I am quite sure that there were more than 12 on at one stage!

Of course we had to go to the famous Little Church.

The ceramics in it are wonderful. It was built by a very dedicated person.

f4481526f6d12e0a0ad096b5d1d36817.jpg