Large Group

NedRyerson57

Getting ready to book a large group on an Alaskan cruise. Was curious as if I'm better off going directly with the cruise line or using a online travel agent. Seems like dealing with a large group might be easier going directly through the cruise line, but I guess I really don't know. Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.

I would use a TA

I would not want to be responsible to answer A ll questions, arrange for everyon'e choice of dining time t.

Remind everyone to make their final payment, and a TA might give nice benefits or gift s' for booking allt he cabins for a large group.

I would use a TA.

I love my family and friends but trying to get them to ALL agree or someone NOT complaining because someone else seems to be getting a better deal/room/seat/meal,,,, etc is like herding cats.

I can guarantee a few things

Someone else could have gotten a better deal

Someone will complain about which cruise line was chosen

Someone else will complain about the dates chosen

None of these complainers will offer to step up and take the lead on anything.

Nope, lesson learned. Find the TA, turn it over to them, tell everyone who the TA is and who to contact and let the TA deal with Aunt Sallie.

^^ That Y ES

It is highly likely you would hear how you did not get the best pricing or the best cabins, or, or or............... What ever displeasse someone is sure to be your fault. That does not sound like you will have a very good time yourself. on that cruise.

All of you, as a grou,p c hoose a TA.

IMO

Getting ready to book a large group on an Alaskan cruise. Was curious as if I'm better off going directly with the cruise line or using a online travel agent. Seems like dealing with a large group might be easier going directly through the cruise line, but I guess I really don't know. Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.

We normally cruise with large groups and always use a TA.

Definitely let everyone make their own bookings and arrangements. It's enough that you'll all be traveling together....have "meet up" times (usually dinner) and whoever wants to do stuff together, can. Not everyone is going to want to do the same thing, or stay in the same area/deck/cabin type of the ship. Not everyone will want to have breakfast at 8am. Not everyone will want to do the same thing ashore.

In other words, pick the ship and the date, and let everyone make their own arrangements!

My understanding is that some cruise lines will provide a free cabin for a group booking of a certain size. A TA knowledgeable about cruising should be able to help you find the right line, if that appeals to you.

The more accurate answer is that the value of 1 complimentary berth (bed) is earned for every 16 full fare paying passengers. That's 8 cabins based on double occupancy. This is called the Tour Conductor Credit (TC). The value of the complimentary berth does not include NCFs (non commisionable fees) nor the Government fees and taxes. So if the Group Organizer decides to use the TC for the complimentary berth they still pay the NCFs + the government fees and taxes.

Some lines from time to time have Group Guidelines offering Group perks with less cabins like 5-7.

The more accurate answer is that the value of 1 complimentary berth (bed) is earned for every 16 full fare paying passengers. That's 8 cabins based on double occupancy. This is called the Tour Conductor Credit (TC). The value of the complimentary berth does not include NCFs (non commisionable fees) nor the Government fees and taxes. So if the Group Organizer decides to use the TC for the complimentary berth they still pay the NCFs + the government fees and taxes.

Some lines from time to time have Group Guidelines offering Group perks with less cabins like 5-7.

Just want to support AsGuyMG in that this information is correct.

I would also advise using a "live" TA that offers a person that you can talk with v an online TA via email, etc., with no person to be dealing with.

This coming winter will be the 30th anniversary of the "Friends and Family Annual Winter Caribbean Cruise". We've had as may as 42 and as few as 16. I orchestrate it and ALWAYS us a trusted TA. I give everyone the contact info and she handles everything. We round robin a few tables for dinner and we've never had a problem having 3-4-5- tables all near each other and all pre arranged flawlessly. Better perks offered through the TA when booking a large-ish group, and always seems to be more accommodating staff when they know it's a large group. The benefits of everyone booking through the same agent are considerable.

Use to work as a travel agent many years ago and my experience with groups, especially weddings and families is that everyone wants to go until it's time to put up money. I remember I had this one wedding group and the family swore they would need a hundred cabins. In the end it was less then ten.

I don't know what you consider a large group, but I used a TA to book our group (lucky 13 people) to Alaska this July. It has worked out great to go through her. She emails the group and says, so and so are planning this excursion if you want to join them. If not, she books what they want to do. Also, in groups depending on the size they can get you more "benefits or discounts" and works to give good advice. My TA is a friend and has done Alaska twice and cruised several times so they made sure we were on the "correct" side of ship.