Coastal Kitchen vs. Specialty Restaurants?

We are heading out on Anthem on Saturday. Parents got upgraded to a Sky Suite Class, and the concierge has said we can all eat together in Coastal Kitchen for dinner , a few questions:

1.) Is Coastal that much better than MDR as far as food?

2.) We're thinking about booking a dinner at Chops for the first night, but then you have the BOGO option, so that would mean Chops and something else. Do they allow you to change the 2nd option to a lunch? For example: Dinner at Chops, and lunch at Jamie's?

Just trying to figure out if we should spend the $40 for each person, or is Coastal Kitchen on par to the specialty restaurants? We've only got 5 nights, so trying to figure out the best option.

Thanks all

Edited by billb1981

We enjoyed Coastal Kitchen for dinner. Much more relaxed and peaceful environment than the MDR. Food made to order, hot, and enough variety for us.

As usual....thanks Bob. That was kind of our thinking, we might as well take advantage of it, as the Wife and I aren't typically lucky enough to get into suite life, we prefer less of a room so we can cruise more often.

Do you think Chops is worth the extra $?

Food and worth are both subjective, best to try for yourself.

As usual....thanks Bob. That was kind of our thinking.

Do you think Chops is worth the extra $?

The way the concierge on Harmony recommended to us, “you can get a steak anywhere”. We were torn between Chops and 150 Central Park on HOS (we went with 150). That said, we ate at Chops the last time we cruised on Navigator. We thought it was really good.

The coastal kitchen will probably have a really good filet one night if you want steak. We thoroughly enjoyed every dinner we had in the CK. As bob said, the atmosphere is better, and you really get more of a “small ship” feel. We made friends with the other regulars, and all the waitstaff recognize you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way the concierge on Harmony recommended to us, “you can get a steak anywhere”. We were torn between Chops and 150 Central Park on HOS (we went with 150). That said, we ate at Chops the last time we cruised on Navigator. We thought it was really good.

The coastal kitchen will probably have a really good filet one night if you want steak. We thoroughly enjoyed every dinner we had in the CK. As bob said, the atmosphere is better, and you really get more of a “small ship” feel. We made friends with the other regulars, and all the waitstaff recognize you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! Very helpful.

IMO it's boring to eat in the same place every night when there are other places to try out. We checked the menu and found the CK one we liked best and ate there that night only (on a 5 nighter). Had lots of great experiences at other venues for dinner.

CK is more relaxed. It doesnt feel rushed. Our waiter had time to "chat" with us a lot more. Since it is a smaller area, you get to chat with otherr people. I dont think we set foot in the MDR for dinner on our last one.

We were in a Crown Loft Suite (Sky Class) on Allure in December. We were totally unimpressed with the food in the Coastal Kitchen. Quality was highly variable. We learned to depart from our servers recommendation at our own risk. Also, getting a reservation was problematic. Pinnacles are afforded the privilege of dining in Coastal Kitchen. There were so many Pinnacles on our sailing that we were constantly working our schedule around to fit available dining. As we booked all our shows in advance but dining was not bookable in advance it created a problem. Also the suites lounge serves the same offerings as the daily Diamond drinks. No upgraded alcohol for suites. We were very disappointing. For us Celebrity suites amenities are far superior with walk-in dining at Luminae, consistently excellent food choices, premium alcohol package provided for suites passengers. We have done Ultimate Dining on cruises which was a very good value if you tend to eat lunch on board. The discounts on wine plus the a la carte allowance for Izumi were generous. After about ten days it gets a bit repetitive but the matre'd and the servers get to know you and are very willing to mix things up a bit for example finding different vegetables to go with the entrees. All in all we thought the Crown Loft Suite was amazing but the rest of the suite experience was below par. For us the better value on Royal is a balcony plus Ultimate Dining. On Celebrity the suite is our preference. Just one opinion on what we value. YMMV.

Nice atmosphere and more relaxed in CK as others have said. I would also point that food is better presented and there is more sophistication to how it is served. So overall an experience not to be missed.

I would still go to speciality restaurants for two reasons : for a different dinning experience and alternative menu choices.

We were in a Crown Loft Suite (Sky Class) on Allure in December. We were totally unimpressed with the food in the Coastal Kitchen. Quality was highly variable. We learned to depart from our servers recommendation at our own risk. Also, getting a reservation was problematic. Pinnacles are afforded the privilege of dining in Coastal Kitchen. There were so many Pinnacles on our sailing that we were constantly working our schedule around to fit available dining. As we booked all our shows in advance but dining was not bookable in advance it created a problem. Also the suites lounge serves the same offerings as the daily Diamond drinks. No upgraded alcohol for suites. We were very disappointing. For us Celebrity suites amenities are far superior with walk-in dining at Luminae, consistently excellent food choices, premium alcohol package provided for suites passengers. We have done Ultimate Dining on cruises which was a very good value if you tend to eat lunch on board. The discounts on wine plus the a la carte allowance for Izumi were generous. After about ten days it gets a bit repetitive but the matre'd and the servers get to know you and are very willing to mix things up a bit for example finding different vegetables to go with the entrees. All in all we thought the Crown Loft Suite was amazing but the rest of the suite experience was below par. For us the better value on Royal is a balcony plus Ultimate Dining. On Celebrity the suite is our preference. Just one opinion on what we value. YMMV.

If you have the Drink Package, you may order drinks beyond the stuff on the Diamond menu.

We found Allure CK outstanding.

We made our Dinning reservations to the Suite Concierge in reply to their advance letter to us. Have never had an issue getting our preferred dining time, 630.

Early December are off months for Royal and when a lot of Pinnacles prefer to cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sailed in Star Class on the Harmony in February. We ate dinner in CK one night and didn’t feel the need to go back. The food was definitely better than the MDR, but not nearly as good as some of the specialty restaurants on board.

We loved Central Park 150 (ate there twice) and Wonderland. We had dinner from Jamie’s Italian brought to our stateroom one night, which was decent (though we missed out on the service that comes from dining in the restaurant). We also had dinner at Chops and Izumi, which were good but not great. Chops was really busy when we went. Even as Star Class guests, we felt like our waiter didn’t have time for us and the kitchen was having a hard time keeping up with the demand, so dinner was really slow.

If you have the Drink Package, you may order drinks beyond the stuff on the Diamond menu.

We found Allure CK outstanding.

We made our Dinning reservations to the Suite Concierge in reply to their advance letter to us. Have never had an issue getting our preferred dining time, 630.

Early December are off months for Royal and when a lot of Pinnacles prefer to cruise.

We emailed the Suite Concierge as well. We received a reply confirming. It wasn't done. We showed the Concierge and the Maitre's the email. Shrug response.

We emailed the Suite Concierge as well. We received a reply confirming. It wasn't done. We showed the Concierge and the Maitre's the email. Shrug response.

If that happened to us, I would be ripped. As Suite Guests, we are aware we share the SL/CK with Pinnacle members. For this reason alone, we try to avoid cruise dates on Oasis Class that are more likely to have higher numbers of P’s.

I personally have never had a issue with a P member. The question has been asked but never really followed through with, who has priority on pre cruise CK reservations? I don’t know the answer and not willing to be the test case.

In casual settings, several times Suite Guests have asked the Suite Concierge, who has preference or Priority. Similar questions have come up in the CL. On all occasions, the Suite or CL Concierge said they were there primarily for Suite Guests. That the Diamond Concierge was there for the others. I don’t know the answer.

The business card does say Suite Concierge.

5b50038ad23d195bd96d0bfe9a67513f.jpg

I asked Millie while on Freedom Presidents Cruise, as a Suite Guest, would getting reservations in the CK on Harmony Presidents Cruise be an issue? Her reply to me was, if the CK means that much to you, I would suggest another cruise. Well, the CK does mean that much so we choose not to participate this year.

On our Harmony Cruise, April 7, I think there was 7 P’s onboard, 3 couples and a single. LA said week previous was like 4, and then 0.

The Suites I guess average similar numbers each cruise. Seldom do we notice Star Guests for dinner in CK. My experience has been with family that they tend to eat in their room or in Speciality Dining.

I’m curious to see how the SL/CK is handles on the upcoming Harmony Presidents Cruise. I’m sure that if P’s or Suite Guests are not permitted, Royal will attempt to make up for it in some way like Free Speciality Dining or something.

Also, are P’s sent email from Concierge and allowed to make dinner reservations in advance or in advance of Suite Guests? I witnessed B2B P’s making the following cruise reservations with the Maitre De, not the Suite Concierge.

• Thanks 1

In no way did I intend to say the Pinnacle members were a problem. Royal affords them certain perks for their past business and good for them. During my working life I was afforded certain perks by my preferred airline for flying a lot. I do think that Royal needs a process when the CK is overloaded. The size seems to be built to match up with suites capacity. When a significant number of Pinnacles are on board the capacity is inadequate. Not an issue for a suites guest or a Pinnacle. Only Royal can resolve that issue. So we vote with our wallet. Suites are a good value to us on Celebrity so we book them. Suites are not a good value for us on Royal so we book balconies. We take the itinerary we want to sail when we want to go and then have a great time, suite or balcony. We will not choose to travel at a different time to avoid Pinnacles, children, spring breakers (well, maybe spring breakers):confused:. We learn, we adjust, we have fun. And we hope to have learned, well adjusted, fun people to meet on our travels.

In no way did I intend to say the Pinnacle members were a problem. Royal affords them certain perks for their past business and good for them. During my working life I was afforded certain perks by my preferred airline for flying a lot. I do think that Royal needs a process when the CK is overloaded. The size seems to be built to match up with suites capacity. When a significant number of Pinnacles are on board the capacity is inadequate. Not an issue for a suites guest or a Pinnacle. Only Royal can resolve that issue. So we vote with our wallet. Suites are a good value to us on Celebrity so we book them. Suites are not a good value for us on Royal so we book balconies. We take the itinerary we want to sail when we want to go and then have a great time, suite or balcony. We will not choose to travel at a different time to avoid Pinnacles, children, spring breakers (well, maybe spring breakers):confused:. We learn, we adjust, we have fun. And we hope to have learned, well adjusted, fun people to meet on our travels.

What do you contribute the reason (s) for lack of ability to make reservations?

That certainly would sour our cruise.

What do you contribute the reason (s) for lack of ability to make reservations?

That certainly would sour our cruise.

Clearly the ball got dropped by the Suite Concierge or the maitre'd. We had the email thread which confirmed receipt of our request by the concierge. When we boarded and went to verify our dining times we found the reservations weren't made. The CK was heavily booked and we could only take what was left. We were not pleased and the concierge had to adjust some of our show bookings. Not sure what else they could do. I wrote it up in the post cruise survey. Crickets. At about $1000/day this type of thing is just not acceptable to me. So we spend differently on Royal and have a great cruise on some unique ships.

Edited by flviking
typos

Clearly the ball got dropped by the Suite Concierge or the maitre'd. We had the email thread which confirmed receipt of our request by the concierge. When we boarded and went to verify our dining times we found the reservations weren't made. The CK was heavily booked and we could only take what was left. We were not pleased and the concierge had to adjust some of our show bookings. Not sure what else they could do. I wrote it up in the post cruise survey. Crickets. At about $1000/day this type of thing is just not acceptable to me. SO we spend differntly on Royal and have a great cruise on some unique ships.

Sorry you experienced this. We would not be happy either. We have been lucky as we haven’t yet had this experience regarding the CK.

We did have an issue with Maitre De in CK for outside the CK. We asked could they make reservations for us at Wonderland one evening or did I need to ask the Concierge (gut said I should ask Concierge). The Maitre De said sure, they would be happy to make them. I was standing right there when he called Wonderland to make our reservation. We did this for night 2.

Guess what, when we got to Wonderland, they had no reservation and said they were full. I told them the CK Maitre De made us the reservation. About the same time another desk person came up and said they had a cancellation and could work us in. We had to wait about 10-15 minutes.

I heard the CK Maitre De make the reservations. Just don’t know who he was talking too.

We now use the Concierge for reservations.

We thought the food in ck was excellent and an enjoyable experience. We did try 150 park and found the food and atmosphere to be enjoyable but did it on a bogo and used the other for wonderland. Which is very different. We had no problem getting reservations

We find booking the specialty restaurants on board a better deal If they are not getting enough bookings they will offer discounts like bogo so we wait.

We thought the food in ck was excellent and an enjoyable experience. We did try 150 park and found the food and atmosphere to be enjoyable but did it on a bogo and used the other for wonderland. Which is very different. We had no problem getting reservations

We find booking the specialty restaurants on board a better deal If they are not getting enough bookings they will offer discounts like bogo so we wait.

We seldom pay full price for Speciality Dining and typically hold out for BOGO.

IMO: it's mostly about the venue at CK. CK has good food and the view is to die for. It's small and feels like your own personal yacht. We love the food and if a meat eater it's Chops, never had a bad meal and I think I would rate the food overall better than CK. I agree that eating at the same place every night is boring. This last trip on Oasis we did formal night at MDR with the kids and grandkids. Then Chops twice and CK the remainder.

We are heading out on Anthem on Saturday. Parents got upgraded to a Sky Suite Class, and the concierge has said we can all eat together in Coastal Kitchen for dinner , a few questions:

1.) Is Coastal that much better than MDR as far as food?

2.) We're thinking about booking a dinner at Chops for the first night, but then you have the BOGO option, so that would mean Chops and something else. Do they allow you to change the 2nd option to a lunch? For example: Dinner at Chops, and lunch at Jamie's?

Just trying to figure out if we should spend the $40 for each person, or is Coastal Kitchen on par to the specialty restaurants? We've only got 5 nights, so trying to figure out the best option.

Thanks all

If you aren’t in the suite don’t be surprised if they only let you join your folks for one night. If it is busy they won’t allow too many guests. In my experience two suite passengers can have two guests once or twice on a week long cruise (space permitting). If you get in more than that consider yourself lucky. Just want you o be aware so you have a contingency plan.

Personally I like CK as much as the other specialty restaurants or more due to the atmosphere.

We were on Anthem in September last year in a GS. We went to CK for the first three nights and the food was better than the MDR. However, we got a bit bored with CK (food ok, service ok but nothing special) and decided to buy a specialty restaurant package so we then went to Wonderland, Jamies and Chops. They were all (in our opinion) better than CK and worth the money. The last two nights we actually went to the MDR and we were welcomed with huge excitement by the Head Waiter and our waiters. They definitely gave us excellent service for those last two nights.