Interested in getting info on trip and medical evacuation insurance. We cruise often

Hi all , Joe and I have been on 3 translantic cruises and am a bit concerned about needing travel health insurance if we are sick..or have to go to a Dr. Or hospital or even be medivated or taken by ambulance...we have heard many here have annual ins.to cover this. Not thru the cruise line any information to point us in the right direction is appreciated. We head out in Dec to Barcelona and the canary islands and then next april to austrai,ia and new zealand and french polinesia .

Thanks in advance for the help

There is an Insurance forum you could check there

or contact an insurance broker in your area that deals with trip insurance from various companies

there is not one size fits all when it comes to insurance

For concerns about possible need for evacuation back to your home city, I suggest you look into MedJetAssist. It's not insurance, as such, but rather an annual membership. If you become ill or are injured anywhere over 150 miles from home, and are hospitalized, once your condition has been deemed stabilized enough to be med-evac-ed to the hospital of your choice, they will come get you and either transport you by medical jet, if needed, or a commercial flight with a medical staff member accompaniment at no additional cost. There might be a few places in the world where they would not be able to come get you, but I don't know where they might be.

If you are a member of AARP, the is a discount available on the annual cost.

I have maintained a membership for several years, in addition to trip insurance thru my chosen cruise line., but thankfully have not needed their services.

If you travel a lot, I would strongly recommend the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card. You will get great rewards back on all of your travel purchases, on top of some other great travel perks. It also comes with medical insurance, medical evacuation, trip cancellation, primary rental car insurance, lost baggage reimbursements, etc. Basically, all of the same things you would buy with a plan. The only difference is the fine prints.

If you travel a lot, I would strongly recommend the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card. You will get great rewards back on all of your travel purchases, on top of some other great travel perks. It also comes with medical insurance, medical evacuation, trip cancellation, primary rental car insurance, lost baggage reimbursements, etc. Basically, all of the same things you would buy with a plan. The only difference is the fine prints.

Have you ever actually made a claim to them and if, so, were you satisfied with the outcome?

Edited by sail7seas

The medical is light... I think it is only $5K. Cancellation and medical does not have a pre-existing waiver, but look back is 60 days.

That said, we don’t buy cancellation insurance and rely on this card...even though we could get burned by a pre-existing. We do buy a separate out of the country health policy. And, when we traveled to SE Asia on a land trip we did buy a MedJet policy.

We did make a small claim a few years ago for delayed luggage with my Sapphire preferred card (DH has the Reserve). Claim was paid, promptly.

Be sure to get enough coverage. I just got off a TransAtlantic. Last night of the cruise, a fellow passenger fell while packing to go home breaking a leg. Needed surgery. Anticipated 4 to 6 weeks before they could return home. Hope their insurance will cover their expenses.

The medical is light... I think it is only $5K. Cancellation and medical does not have a pre-existing waiver, but look back is 60 days.

That said, we don’t buy cancellation insurance and rely on this card...even though we could get burned by a pre-existing. We do buy a separate out of the country health policy. And, when we traveled to SE Asia on a land trip we did buy a MedJet policy.

We did make a small claim a few years ago for delayed luggage with my Sapphire preferred card (DH has the Reserve). Claim was paid, promptly.

Right you are! I use Chase Saphire Reserve, but I also buy medical/evacuation insurance from GeoBlue. They offer a one year - multi-trip policy that is reasonably priced. OP should take a look at https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/product_overview.cfm

Have you ever actually made a claim to them and if, so, were you satisfied with the outcome?

This is what I posted as part of what I said in my original post: "I have maintained a membership for several years, in addition to trip insurance thru my chosen cruise line., but thankfully have not needed their services." I hope to never need them (MedJetAssist)`! But it definitely gives me peace of mind knowing I have the coverage available.

I have had to visit the medical center onboard 2 times, once for an injury related to a fall on a private tour in Rome (expenses were over $600) and once on another cruise for "flu symptoms" acquired during a cruise (almost $300 in expenses). Both times I filed claims for reimbursement from the insurance thru Princess cruises, and both times I was fully reimbursed, right down to the penny.