How Old is Too Old

In my opinion there is no age that is "too old" to cruise. I think what it boils down to is asking your grandmother's doctor whether she is healthy enough to cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree - her doctor will be the one to best say if she is healthy enough. You can get motorized chairs (I think anyway) if she all the walking would be an issue.

Base it on HEALTH, not age. There are some 50 year olds who shouldn't be more than a mile from their nearest hospital!

If she gets around ok, and has no pressing medical issues, and she WANTS to go..take her! Otherwise, do something else with her for a long weekend or so.

I cruise with my 93 year old mom all the time. She only has high blood pressure, but so healthy and energetic. She has to help me lift suitcases. She's in way better shape than I.

Hi All,

This may be a loaded question but how old is too old to cruise? We are considering taking a family cruise for my grandmother's 90th Birthday. She will actually be 90.5 by the time we go. Would you feel comfortable bringing a 90 year old on a cruise if they are in fairly good health but did have a double bypass a few years earlier? My main concern is that she has reactive blood pressure so that would be our biggest concern. We so badly want her to be able to do this but is it unrealistic? Please, be gentle with your replies. Not looking to start a major debate. Thank you!

It depends on the health of the person. I know someone who cruises often with her father. They cruised with him again last year when he turned 100.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'd absolutely speak with her doctors and get clearance before we went and I do think travel insurance is necessary, especially in this situation. She loves to cruise but is a bit apprehensive about going. It would be Christmas time and she is worried that the ship will be crazy. I've explained to her that the ship is only so big and wont get bigger just because it's xmas. It can only hold a max amount of people. There have been some really good tips given to me here so I will talk to her further. I will admit, it is scary taking her on something like this because there would be a fair amount of travel that has to be done (flying in to FL from AZ) and I do worry about the ship's medical facilities. I'd hate to need medical intervention while on the ship. Those things do go through your mind. Anyway, thanks for the feedback and we will continue to explore.

Can you get a non-stop flight? I know Royal doesn't do California but have you looked into a cruise out of California?

In my opinion there is no age that is "too old" to cruise. I think what it boils down to is asking your grandmother's doctor whether she is healthy enough to cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On a Jewel cruise we met a lady who was 100 and had an upcoming TA booked for that summer. We had a 91 year old in our party who was more agile than we in our 70's were. If ok with her and her doctor, go for it.

...She loves to cruise but is a bit apprehensive about going. It would be Christmas time and she is worried that the ship will be crazy.... there would be a fair amount of travel that has to be done (flying in to FL from AZ) and I do worry about the ship's medical facilities. I'd hate to need medical intervention while on the ship.....

Having said this, if I were you I would proceed with caution. It sounds like she is making her views known and pushing her boundaries could send her into the blood pressure range you are worried about. If she was in excellent health, that would be one thing but that doesn't sound like it's the case here. IMO, age isn't the issue; it's the health and well-being of the passenger - your grandmother. <3

You've asked for advice and comments - mine would be not to cruise with grandma at Christmas time but to choose another way to celebrate your family that will not make her uncomfortable and apprehensive.