2 Night Cruise

Bonnie Girl

Hello and thank you for the add. We are hoping to take our first cruise next year but we are contemplating doing a 2 night mini cruise this year just as a “trial run”, mainly to see if we like it enough to do more.

Is this something you would recommend as a good insight into cruising?

Many thanks.

Hi....definitely not....you won't get the true feel of what a cruise is all about. On a 2 night cruise you will not find your way around the ship...it could all feel a bit frantic.....searching for this and searching for that....no time for finding your own routine and relaxing into it. A 2 night cruise can attract " the party people" in all their various forms.

You need at least 7 nights to fully appreciate what it is all about and get the true benefit

We have done a few cruises and even now I wouldn't do a 2 night cruise....couldn't stand the pace and perhaps may have even put us off cruising.

In my opinion the only reason to do a two nighter is if you have two ships in mind but want to see them first. Other than that they are rushed and you may be put off cruising as you will think a real cruise would be the same, it isn't believe me.

However if you treat it as just a weekend away and don't relate it to a cruise then go for it. I live in Southampton so it would be easy for me but one was enough and that was sometime ago.

Agree with those above, short cruises are never a great introduction to what a standard cruise is really like.

They attract a different demographic, have the feel of a noisy house party and are all together too frenetic when compared to a longer cruise.

If you want to do a trial run without spending too much, in case it’s really not your cup of tea, then look out for a last minute deal of some sort on a 7 night cruise (but be aware that late bookings get less choice of dining etc and the cabins that are left).

The folks on here can help you with all the finer points of cruising if you decide to take the plunge.

These are generally called 'booze cruise' for very good reasons. That said I've done a couple of these with P&O and another with Royal Caribbean. They are what they are. A quick introduction to cruising. Generally you get on have lunch and dinner spend the next day in port then get off very early the next morning.

Our first cruise was a two week Mediterranean cruise it was fantastic!

I agree that 2 night cruises are not a true reflection of a longer cruise. You do not get a chance to explore the ship fully and try out all venues. They are limited as to what they can offer e.g. no Captain's Welcome on board party, themed nights, chance to relax on a full day at sea etc. But if you take them at purely face value, understand that they will go at a fast pace and be full of people celebrating then they can be good fun. We book them occasionally to fill long gaps between holidays and to help satisfy the cruise craving. We have also done 3 and 4 night cruises. Depending on the itinerary, these might include a sea day. We felt that the 4 nighter actually felt more like a regular cruise. Whatever you choose to do, I hope that you have a great time. :)

Like yourself, not sure if we would enjoy cruising

Decided to give it a go so in May 2016 booked a 17 day P&0 Mediterranean cruise on the basis that we would love or hate it.

Had 6 cruises since, total 85 days, have a further 4 booked which when completed will total 158 nights.

Love it

We have done a 2 nighter. It wasn’t our first cruise but I really needed a weekend away, and a break from work, so despite living a few hundred miles away we booked very last minute, drove down and had 2 nights on Azura (we normally holiday on Aurora). We knew what to expect from forums, knew we’d see lots of hen parties, etc (and yes they looked funny and were having fun). But I have to say apart from boarding and the sailaway, when I had slight reservations, we wouldn’t have known they were onboard. Yes the atmosphere was slightly different, but never bad, and service was normal. If you don’t know if you’d like being on a ship, then go for it, but go expecting a far bigger party atmosphere. Expect more drunk people. And maybe you’ll be pleasantly surprised and book a longer cruise next time :) P.s. edit... we’d do another one if the itinerary and timing was right. But I’d only ever book last minute and pay less (with a balcony still!)

I always advise a 7 night Fjords Cruise as the best first cruise. One sea day at the start to get to know the ship, beautiful scenery, relaxed locations, full entertainment programme and ending up with a final sea day to unwind.

I have done five P&O two nighters and they are a little different from a typical cruise but you can get a good idea of what a general cruise might be like. Hen and stag parties might well frequent this type of cruise but as the number of nights increase the number of party groups diminish as people cannot all get the days off work. P&O do 2, 3, and 4 night mini cruises and the cost per night on the cheapest available per person per night is 2 nights £110, 3 nights £100 and 4 nights £90. So it is more cost effective to go longer and the cruise will be more typical.

The cost to and from the terminal is also the same how ever long a cruise you go on. Annual Travel Insurance is another cost saving idea even if you never cruise again as it protects you on all holidays including UK hotel breaks etc.

CPS parking is different on two nighters, it is self-parking not valet parking as per normal cruises. The guys do not take your cases from the car and park it, you stop and hand them over then park or you park up where instructed and drag your case back to the terminal.

You could try Hotel with cruise parking if you wanted to assess the hotel as well, and a new ship if you have sailed previously, I have tried a number of hotels and this also bigs up a short cruise.

Regards John

Hello and thank you for the add. We are hoping to take our first cruise next year but we are contemplating doing a 2 night mini cruise this year just as a “trial run”, mainly to see if we like it enough to do more.

Is this something you would recommend as a good insight into cruising?

Many thanks.

It is a good idea to see if you have sea legs.

We have done 46 cruises but have 2x 2 night P&O cruises booked for this year.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I have only been on a 2 nighter, but will go on a 7 early next month.

It will be interesting to compare the different atmospheres on board.

For the 2 nighter we managed to get a very good price as we went for a late deal off season so it was worth it for us.

I am glad I went it but like others said the biggest frustration is that you get very little time onboard and it is quite a rush. For this reason I don't think I would go on another one.

Hi Bonnie girl , I also echo the Same as janny444, I would not do a two nighter as a taster our first cruise was 10 nights , you need at least 7 days to get the real feel of cruising to relax and find your way round the ship , I've done a few 2/3 nights and they are party / booze / loud Cruise's not the true experience to cruising but if you want a weekend brake then go for it

Our first ever cruise was a 2-nighter back in 2005 - just to see if we liked it or not. Yes, they are totally different, but we thoroughly enjoyed it and were hooked!

Michele