Plan ahead for Dublin Cruise port embarkation/disembarkation

luv2cruisecats

From now on we will no longer fly international. We will either take the QM2 as we did earlier this year or not go. The QM2 is the way to go. Nice 7 night cruise to UK and 7 nights back to US.

That was an unfortunate series of bad luck coming back.

I think you are very fair in your criticism of the port but a little unfair on Dublin airport (with the exception of Singapore I have experienced problems of some sort or another in most airports I travel through). The pre-clearance in Dublin for US immigration is unusual but other than that it is pretty much the same as most airports (hassle and uncomfortable). Saying that much improvements can be made and it is above capacity at the moment and being a home port for cruises will not help that.

I completely agree with you on QM2 - a great way to travel. I just wish I had the time to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We took the Celebrity transfer and traveled through the tunnel to the airport. We left the port at approx 10:30 am. At that time the tunnel was open. It took 20 mins from port to airport using the ship transfer. The best way to go. Celebrity needs to apply any influence they may have to get this ground transport problem the Dublin port resolved if possible. It could be bad ending to a very wonderful vacation. If they are unable to do, then I would pull out of Dublin. I have been to many an airport and yes they all can be uncomfortable, but the terminal were Delta departed from was far worse than any I have been in. The boarding at the gate had far less physical space than any airport I have been in. The other gates and/or terminal may be very different.

Per Cruisestitch on a different Dublin thread:

"Leaving the ship on disembarkation day, the luggage is all placed in a large tent adjacent to the ship. Taxis are allowed to drive right up to the ship, the problem is that there are so few of them that the queues have been very long."

I left the ship that day as well .

problem was not too few taxis.. city is swarming with them..

Problem was this was the first cruise to disembark in Dublin. The port is not open to taxis and taxis had no idea where to go in the beginning. At one point the agent at the port gate refused to let any in so the line backed up. Once they were let in the taxi line was continuous and quick.. but this took a while. Every cruiser had to take a taxi or the ship shuttle unlike other ports .

I think this mess will correct itself

As for airport terminals etc, Miami makes calls and relied on locals for the info and organization as they have no employees there.

Usually cruisers get info on these boards prior and know how to make plans

Celebrity also had shuttle busses with 3 drop off locations in the city plus the airport

I am sure it will get better

You're a man, right? :)

No, I'm a woman. What can't be purchased on a ship? They sell clothing, toiletries, cosmetics. As I would have underwear on and shoes on my feet - why couldn't I get what I need to make it through one or two weeks? Besides, I always bring a carry on with 2 days worth of clothes and any meds that can't be replaced. I wear a size 10-12, so I'm not hard to fit. I always buy insurance, so most of my purchases would be covered. Not saying I would be thrilled to do it, but I wouldn't hesitate boarding a ship w/o my bags.

Edited by mek

Perhaps this was the first Cruise to disembark at this particular location, however, there was another cruise ship in port, and we have been to Dublin before and docked on the River. No taxi problems there. This did look a new docking area, so there very well could have been confusion on the part of the taxi service to know where to go. You would think that the tax companies would be aware of the dates and locations for the purpose of increasing their business. They lost of lot business by not being prepared for the number of passengers leaving the ship. Celebrity was aware of this problem, thus the warning issued in the daily regarding availability of taxis at the port. Makes we curious how Celebrity was aware of the problem in advance.

In 20+ cruises over 25 years, I've never once taken cruise line transfers. But this time, I would prefer it.

However, I've read multiple reports on CC that Celebrity will not book a transfer for anyone who has a flight departing Dublin prior to twelve noon. Our flight leaves at 11:30am.

1. Can anybody confirm or deny Celebrity's transfer policy at Dublin?

2. How does Celebrity KNOW what time your flight departs? I mean, what stops us from lying just to buy the transfer?

We were also on the 4/30 sailing. Getting to the ship was confusing for the taxi drivers as previously mentioned. I am sure attendants or signage will be added to direct to luggage drop. The processi was as good as it could be. I use a mobility scooter, and the celebrity folks could not have been more accommodating. The shuttle buses are accessible so no issue there, and was able to roll onto the ship via the lower deck 2 gangway. Disembarking, we set up a private transfer with Butler Tours due to scooter and a bit of luggage. Driver was able to pull right to the end of the gangway. Very efficient, no lines, and a comfortable ride to the airport. As mentioned earlier, there were two accidents in the port area that caused a bit of chaos. I feel that celebrity did the best with what they had at this he port.

Celebrity needs to apply any influence they may have to get this ground transport problem the Dublin port resolved if possible. It could be bad ending to a very wonderful vacation. If they are unable to do, then I would pull out of Dublin.

Agree completely. To be fair this was the first cruise and teething problems are natural.

I would expect that things will be better for the future cruises - taxi drivers will be ready and the port will do their best to ensure that as much capacity is there as possible.

In terms of the possibility of Dublin as a home port, I have very strong doubts about the city investing in this. The city is at capacity and needs to use land for housing. Also the port will need to invest to ensure adequate sea bridges are in place for trade post BREXIT. But then again you need to invest for benefits. But do cruises bring that added value to the economy?

But there is some scoping being done right now on whether to develop a new cruise terminal which will allow cruise ship passengers to enter and exit at the city boundary rather than the industrial part of the port - this would then makes the public transport options much more feasible. Page 33 http://www.dublinport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Draft-Dublin-Port-Masterplan-2040.pdf

Celebrity transfer is true. Choice Air would not even sell me airline ticket that left Dublin prior to 12:30. And for good reason as I found out.

I do not know how Celebrity knows departure times etc, but if I were you, until this problem is corrected, take the transfer. Well worth it. Why go through the stress. We we picked up our bags and walked right to the transfer bus, boarded and left. Easy breezy. We also decided to stay a night just to slow things down. Worked well. Be aware however, that the hotel shuttle pickup point is a little difficult to find. It is a covered walkway outside that sorta zig zags its way to Zone six. Here is where you find the hotel shuttle pickup. We stayed at the Premier Inn and they have pickup schedule posted at this location. Shuttle runs every 30 mins and it is a 2 euro charge each way pp.

Agree completely. To be fair this was the first cruise and teething problems are natural.

I would expect that things will be better for the future cruises - taxi drivers will be ready and the port will do their best to ensure that as much capacity is there as possible.

In terms of the possibility of Dublin as a home port, I have very strong doubts about the city investing in this. The city is at capacity and needs to use land for housing. Also the port will need to invest to ensure adequate sea bridges are in place for trade post BREXIT. But then again you need to invest for benefits. But do cruises bring that added value to the economy?

But there is some scoping being done right now on whether to develop a new cruise terminal which will allow cruise ship passengers to enter and exit at the city boundary rather than the industrial part of the port - this would then makes the public transport options much more feasible. Page 33 http://www.dublinport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Draft-Dublin-Port-Masterplan-2040.pdf

I strongly disagree with you cruise ship like this size wont add much value to the economy of Dublin.:*

2. How does Celebrity KNOW what time your flight departs? I mean, what stops us from lying just to buy the transfer?

They don’t know unless they ask or you have provided info. They just don’t want to be liable if there are delays and you miss your flight. They are working off the recommended check in guidelines. As I said before the mandatory ones are a less comfortable 75 mins.

Can I ask whether they differentiate whether you are getting a long haul or short haul flight in deciding whether to offer the transfer service or not?

Looking today, there are flights around noon to SFO, Chicago and Washington. https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures But decide whether a risk is worth taking or not. Buying fast track security will mitigate that risk.

Edited by Pavovsky

I strongly disagree with you cruise ship like this size wont add much value to the economy of Dublin.:*

As an economist and having experience in CBA I have an open mind on whether this is the investment which will give the best return.

Taking into account that the city is at capacity in terms of hotel rooms with one of the highest occupancy rates in Europe. Further the airport is at capacity so is this new business or displacing other business? If displacing land based tourism through driving up prices then it could be negative. If it means that people come to Dublin for a cruise and come back to Ireland for future land based holidays then it could be a positive return. There are many variables.

As of now I am not convinced. The port itself is not convinced of the investment.

Yes I do understand that your unemployment rate is around 6.2% much better than the Eurozone at 8.7%:rolleyes:

When the U S was at 6% unemployment we were hoping there would be more tourists come and spend their money and lift up our economy.

Edited by verizon

Looking today, there are flights around noon to SFO, Chicago and Washington. https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures But decide whether a risk is worth taking or not. Buying fast track security will mitigate that risk.

Flying into Raleigh thru Boston. No matter what airport we could have used to enter the US, any flight later than our 11:30am flight would have required another night in Dublin or a 6+ layover in another city. Neither are attractive choices for us, but this booking was done months ago, long before the airport transportation issues were discussed.

We have purchased Fast Track. I will book a taxi in advance. I will talk to celebrity about a ship transfer (and likely 'adjust' our flight departure time. As always, we only have carry on luggage. And we will stop worrying about this.

Yes I do understand that your unemployment rate is around 6.2% much better than the Eurozone at 8.7%[emoji57]

I was not necessarily considering employment rates. Of course relevant but what investment will yield the best returns. And also whether there is the necessary capacity to deliver the right level of service.

I remember working in a restaurant in my early 20’s. I was interested that the manager turned away customers at lunch time even though it was only half full. It would be easy to accept but there was not the capacity in the kitchen or with servers to deliver the require standard. So instead of 80 people having a nice lunch, 160 people would have had a bad lunch.

I was also interested to see that there is very good value for the Baltic cruises this year while the Med cruises have increased in price . Two years ago it was the opposite. Was capacity shifted and did the cruises get it wrong? Have Northern European colder cruises reached saturation? Is an expensive cruise terminal a white elephant and will it do more damage?

Flying into Raleigh thru Boston. No matter what airport we could have used to enter the US, any flight later than our 11:30am flight would have required another night in Dublin or a 6+ layover in another city. Neither are attractive choices for us, but this booking was done months ago, long before the airport transportation issues were discussed.

We have purchased Fast Track. I will book a taxi in advance. I will talk to celebrity about a ship transfer (and likely 'adjust' our flight departure time. As always, we only have carry on luggage. And we will stop worrying about this.

I think you will be fine. My suggestions on the flights was not about booking them but rather giving you options if you choose to tell a white lie.

Actually Cruise was very good. Ship is in great shape, service excellent, entertainment on the crossing very good, not as good on the second leg. DF and myself have been sailing Celebrity for 23 years and I did find the MDR food no where near as good as it used to be. Dining staff wonderful. Reduced portions, food cold every night. We had to start asking for our food to be brought to the table hot, if we did not, it always came out cold. Some in Buffet same. Some hot, some cold. Weather was awful. Very cold in every port on second leg. Much to our surprise we have found MDR food on HAL and Princess much better. For the first time we had to go to the buffet after dinner in the MDR to get something else to eat. Never ever had to do that before. Snow fell on the deck overnight while in Iceland. We were pelted with ice pellets while out on one excursion. We would not do Iceland again this time of the year.

I was also interested to see that there is very good value for the Baltic cruises this year while the Med cruises have increased in price . Two years ago it was the opposite. Was capacity shifted and did the cruises get it wrong? Have Northern European colder cruises reached saturation? Is an expensive cruise terminal a white elephant and will it do more damage?

Maybe the reduced prices for the Baltic cruises has something to do with the closure of the US Embassy in St Petersburg and the possible political turmoil? We know two couples who cancelled for this reason [and one other who booked BECAUSE the price went down after those cancellations. Seriously - same cruise line (Viking ocean), same dates and itinerary, similar cabin level.]

Also - there's more cruise line competition in the baltics. Supply and demand.

Actually Cruise was very good. Ship is in great shape, service excellent, entertainment on the crossing very good, not as good on the second leg. DF and myself have been sailing Celebrity for 23 years and I did find the MDR food no where near as good as it used to be. Dining staff wonderful. Reduced portions, food cold every night. We had to start asking for our food to be brought to the table hot, if we did not, it always came out cold. Some in Buffet same. Some hot, some cold. Weather was awful. Very cold in every port on second leg. Much to our surprise we have found MDR food on HAL and Princess much better. For the first time we had to go to the buffet after dinner in the MDR to get something else to eat. Never ever had to do that before. Snow fell on the deck overnight while in Iceland. We were pelted with ice pellets while out on one excursion. We would not do Iceland again this time of the year.

I was on the TA, but left the ship on the 30th. I thought the entertainment was excellent and really enjoyed the 2nd performance most entertainers had in the afternoon. Except for our morning excursion in Cobh, the weather was beautiful and we played cards on the balcony almost every day on the crossing.

Food in the MDR was OK with some hits and some misses - definitely not as good as on Equinox last August. Service was excellent and we didn't experience any issues with cold food.

The Azores were a big surprise - I enjoyed our time there much more than expected. It is a lovely place and so clean and green. The people were very friendly and we had a great time. On the first day we took a private tour that we picked up at a travel agency on the main street while walking around and drove all over the island. It was just my husband and myself and it cost 70 euros + tip.

My husband is disabled and we like shorter tours that don't leave too early in the morning, so we took ship excursions in the ports in Ireland.

I'm glad we didn't go on to Iceland - my husband hates cold weather.

I think you will be fine. My suggestions on the flights was not about booking them but rather giving you options if you choose to tell a white lie.

If my reply sounded 'off' or rude - I certainly apologize! Pavovsky, you've been a fountain of information and help on this topic, and I sincerely appreciate it.

Maybe the reduced prices for the Baltic cruises has something to do with the closure of the US Embassy in St Petersburg and the possible political turmoil? We know two couples who cancelled for this reason [and one other who booked BECAUSE the price went down after those cancellations. Seriously - same cruise line (Viking ocean), same dates and itinerary, similar cabin level.]

Also - there's more cruise line competition in the baltics. Supply and demand.

True and the Med has had the refugee crisis, Nice and Barcelona in previous years too.

If my reply sounded 'off' or rude - I certainly apologize! Pavovsky, you've been a fountain of information and help on this topic, and I sincerely appreciate it.

Not at all. Was just clarifying my motivations. I was a little too subtle.

I recall last year when this itinerary to Iceland was released and I posted to say that, in my opinion, it wasn’t really an ideal time to cruise there (knowing how unpredictable our own weather is at that time of year and what the North Sea can be like), I was slammed and told that not everyone wanted warmer climes on their sailings (even though we had previously been to Iceland and, if you check my signature, many other cold weather itineraries). I was surprised when X offered the sailing so early in the season.

The food issues are a little concerning - having to ask for ‘hot’ food :o. Glad you enjoyed yourself overall.

When was your cruise....We're getting ready for the May 28th.