Questions regarding Haines, Alaska excursions from Skagway

MsSoCalCruiser

Leaving on a Princess cruise in a few days :)

We are looking at the excursions from Skagway to Haines, Alaska on a catamaran. Have you ever taken one of these excursions? There are a few different excursions and they are a bit pricey so I was hoping for your opinions.

Is the trip to Haines from Skagway as beautiful as it sounds? Which excursion did you take? How would you rate your excursion? Did you feel the excursions were worth the price? Please tell me everything you can because I literally have only a few days to make a decision.

Thank you so much!!!

We did an excursion to Haynes two years ago. The ferry ride is only 45 minutes or so and you go down the same channel the trip transits. It is beautiful. We did the evening wildlife excursion where we boarded a bus that traveled down a road along the Chilkoot river. We stopped to see eagles and a momma bear and her two cubs. It was a smaller group excursion in a very uncrowded area unlike the ports. Well worth it IMO.

Edited to add: Last year we went with Dyea Dave into the Yukon. It was under $100 per person and it was an amazing trip. Not sure if he still has availability but this is something that we will likely do again on our next trip to Alaska.

When we were in Haines we rented a car and drove alongside the river, spotting bears and eagles, and then explored more of the countryside. It was lovely; I wish Princess stopped in Haines more often.

On our first cruise to Alaska, I booked us an independent kayaking excursion in Chilkhoot Lake. The company arranged for our ferry tickets from Skagway to Haines. We saw a whale surface next to the ferry on the way. It was great. The ferry captain had to cut the engines until the whale left.

Kayaking on the lake was also great. We had a guide and each of us got to paddle our own kayaks--just the two of us and the guide in our group. We saw the cruise line excursions later on the lake. They were in groups of seven or eight triple kayaks per guide. I'm glad we weren't with them. They did get lunch. We ate at the Bamboo Room before heading back on the ferry.

If you are going to Skagway you will sail past Haines to get there. The catamaran trip will be the same exact route you will sail twice on your cruise ship. Save you money and book a tour in Skagway.

Best bang for your buck is rent a car from Avis and drive up into the Yukon. The train/bus combo is a very good tour, the Lake Bennett option is my favorite. The farther you go into the Yukon the better the scenery gets. I would avoid the train that just goes to the summit and back. You want a longer one

Best bang for your buck is rent a car from Avis and drive up into the Yukon. The train/bus combo is a very good tour, the Lake Bennett option is my favorite. The farther you go into the Yukon the better the scenery gets. I would avoid the train that just goes to the summit and back. You want a longer one

Second that. We did the drive to Carcross, once early in the season when everything was covered in snow, once late when the leaves were turning. Magnificent both times and we had the freedom to stop when and where we wanted. The road does parallel the train tracks but only part way.

Looks like the semi-reliable cheapie Sourdough Car Rentals is no more, though. Pity.

Thank you all! I didn't realize that the ship passes through the same area so I think we will find something else to do in Skagway.

Any suggestions for Ketchikan?

Yes the Misty Fjords flight is very good. I also like the Deadliest Catch tour. The flight or cruise to the All you can eat Crab feast at George Inlet is also popular. With kids the Lumberjack show. For cheap eats try Burger Queen just past the tunnel or Alavas for Fish and Chips just outside the tunnel. Both are hole in the wall type but have fantastic food.

And you can't visit Ketchikan without a walk up to Creek Street. Tongass Trading on the dock or several stores downtown is a great choice for souveniers

We are going on our 17th Alaskan cruise all stopping in Skagway or a few in Haines. Depending what your dates are Skagway has a good chance of being cold. Many times very nice. I would not do a catamaran. As others have said you go right by it. Great idea to rent a car. I think it depends on time of year. If the salmon are running Haines has the largest amount of bald eagles at one time I believe anywhere and with salmon you have bears. I have not seen many whales out of Skagway. Just a thought stay in Skagway. The views from the train or van are soectacular.

We've done a variety of excursions in Haines via the ferry. My wife says it best: the ferry is great going over, and boring as heck on the way back (been there, done that).

Thanks for linking to your great photos. We are crusing Alaska for the first time (to Alaska and on a cruise). Great photos!

The Eagle Preserve float excursion is excellent. We've done it twice. High speed ferry to Haines, bus to the put-in point and then maybe 1 1/2 hours on the river. Lots of eagles. While we didn't see a bear on the last trip there were lots of tracks where we took the rafts out. Good lunch with sandwiches, drinks, chips.