Lunch/food on excursions question

But where are you going to refill your bottle when you are off the ship?

You may want to rethink your position of NOT buying bottled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At least you have a full bottle which is all you would have if you purchased a bottle on the ship to take with you. I wouldn’t trust buying water in a foreign port.

I take non RCL excursions and always ask the locals that work on the tours where they like to eat. Sometimes you'll get a discount or they'll even take you there. Yes, i know some of these folks get kick backs but I've not been disappointed yet.

Obviously you haven't been to Cozumel. They ALWAYS have dogs there.

My thoughts exactly. Don't take food off the ship in Mexican ports of call.

I prefer to sample some local cuisine while on shore such as conch ceviche in Grand Cayman and street tacos while in Mexico, etc.

At least you have a full bottle which is all you would have if you purchased a bottle on the ship to take with you. I wouldn’t trust buying water in a foreign port.

Buying bottled water is fine especially if it's a brand you recognize which we've always been able to find

You need a NEW Travel Agent! :eek:

Wonder what else your TA told you that is also wrong!:confused::mad:

Definitely need a new one. I remember my very first cruise. We didn't know anything about cruising and went with a travel agent. It was myself, mom, 17yr old sister, 3 yr old sister, and my 1 yr old son. Had no idea about sizes of rooms, time to arrive on ship, nothing at all. Now this was 20 years ago. Travel agent said we can all fit in 1 room and a crib would be provided for my son by the ship. The ship also left from puerto rico and departure was 10pm that night. We asked her if a late flight was ok and arriving to the ship by 9 pm ok. She said no problem.

Well we artived at 9 and were the last ones on the ship. Didnt know we could arrive much earlier. We missed the whole first day. Luckily at that time we were still able to board. When checking in they were shocked that we were all booked in the same room. I asked about the crib and was told that was misinformation. Luckily they put me and my son in another room at no extra charge.

Needless to say we learned alot from that experience and did not use the same travel agent ever again.

I cannot imagine a reputable TA giving this advice. As to the bottled water, even when we have the Deluxe package, we leave the bottled water on the ship. The water gets warm quickly and I don't want a thermal cup to carry around... and I can buy an ice cold water for about $1 in almost every port we've visited. Also, I can't imagine anything more unappealing than a sandwich with meat and cheese I've been hauling around or worse a boiled egg. We consider it part of the experience to get snacks or meals in the ports we visit. I came across a big tin canister filled with bottles of various soft drinks in one of the ports. At home, I would never choose an orange soda but it was hot and these ice cold drinks were DELICIOUS and sure hit the spot. I don't want to miss out on the delicious foods in restaurants where the aroma is too much to resist. You can get a snack in any port too if four hours is too long to wait to eat and have something really nice and you don't have to eat at a 5-star restaurant. It's really inexpensive.

I think that’s a little “over-cautious” but to each his own. I feel very comfortable purchasing a sealed bottle of Ozarka, Desani, Evian or other recognized brand in port. Actually, MOST private tours I have ever booked have an ice chest full of drinks in the van.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I cannot imagine a reputable TA giving this advice. As to the bottled water, even when we have the Deluxe package, we leave the bottled water on the ship. The water gets warm quickly and I don't want a thermal cup to carry around... and I can buy an ice cold water for about $1 in almost every port we've visited. Also, I can't imagine anything more unappealing than a sandwich with meat and cheese I've been hauling around or worse a boiled egg. We consider it part of the experience to get snacks or meals in the ports we visit. I came across a big tin canister filled with bottles of various soft drinks in one of the ports. At home, I would never choose an orange soda but it was hot and these ice cold drinks were DELICIOUS and sure hit the spot. I don't want to miss out on the delicious foods in restaurants where the aroma is too much to resist. You can get a snack in any port too if four hours is too long to wait to eat and have something really nice and you don't have to eat at a 5-star restaurant. It's really inexpensive.

I guess I am assuming the bottled water would be like $8 or some crazy amount based on other vacations and sporting events we've gone to and had to buy water. I have no problem carrying around an insulated bottle! As for the food I was going ot carry, it would have been in an insulated lunch tote with ice pack...but that is a no go! I also have no problem eating at a restaurant or getting snacks at shops, just wanted to know our options!

I take pre-packed dry snacks as a backup.

I am not too bothered about having a proper lunch if I am going out and about. I just look to grab something to keep me going.

When you get off the ship, you can't always tell what the restrictions are at the port so best not to take fresh food including fruit off the ship.

I don't like being stuck somewhere without something to eat if I need it. Last summer, I made a huge bag of trail mix (cashews, peanuts, craisins, and M&Ms) at took it with us to Bermuda. I've also taken granola bars and Cheez-its. I took it when we went on excursions and never had a problem. I usually take a Nalgene bottle and fill it with water in the Windjammer (I use the WJ cups to fill it).

Thank you all! So, taking packages of protein bars and chips and the like is "okay". and what about a reusable/refillable water bottle...please tell me you can take those off the ship...I am NOT buying bottled water!

Not sure how many ship excursions you have done, but read the description very carefully, and try to look for online reviews of it. Some people are surprised that they are on a bus most of the time, that their bus is 'open air', that they don't get to stop for more than a quick picture, that there is 'shopping', that there is no shopping, that there is no food, etc, so read every word.

There are also ports of call boards here where there is more information on private tours in addition to reviews on the ships tours. I suggest you find the forums for your ports and read through many pages on those forums so you have a good idea of what you can expect for your money.

The wife is diabetic and had an orange and some package snacks once getting off the ship. The security had a dog and it sniffed the orange. All the did was had it to the pile of other fruit found. They say it is mostly the fruit that they will not let in.

The Ump

John

This is what we do. You might be lucky and just have your smuggled food confiscated or you might be subject to a hefty fine. Why chance it? It’s just wrong and a TA who makes such a suggestion is an idiot.

Nonsense. Why follow rules that are immoral, unjust, or could lead to ones death?

The wife is diabetic and had an orange and some package snacks once getting off the ship. The security had a dog and it sniffed the orange. All the did was had it to the pile of other fruit found. They say it is mostly the fruit that they will not let in.

The Ump

John

Yes, don't let these rules followers get in the way of your wife enjoying her cruise.

So if your excursion does not specifically say lunch or food will be served where/when do you eat?! If the excursion is like 4 hours I know my husband will want to eat, lol! I guess I should research where restaurants are near where our excursions may be? Also, our TA said we can take food from the ship in a lunch tote...is that true? We haven't booked any excursions yet, just wondering. Our cruise is RCI Puerto Rico/Southern Caribbean June 2nd-9th

Many of the tours stop in shopping areas .If so you can get something there .

Nonsense. Why follow rules that are immoral, unjust, or could lead to ones death?

We’re not talking rules here, we’re talking LAWS of the foreign country you are visiting. Most of them take their laws quite seriously.

Yes, don't let these rules followers get in the way of your wife enjoying her cruise.

California dealt, for decades, with the Mediterranean Fruit Fly that came in from out of country fruit. Costs billions to eradicate and tons of food was destroyed. So just an orange or tomato to us but maybe an entire economy to another country. A wrapped candy bar is just as doable for a diabetic.

Check the excursions thoroughly. I went to Cozumel on a Dolphin Encounter. It included an American Grill lunch or Traditional Mexican lunch and All you could drink Bar! It was a blast and a great deal for $100. It included kayaking, paddle boarding and snorkeling. It was the Western Caribbean cruise.

A couple of things.

1) If you’re on a cruise drink package that includes bottled water, you can just go to the bar and get an unopened bottle to take off the ship. IIRC, there were actually kiosks that just served bottled water on port days. Just swipe your card for water. If you’re not on a drink package, the cost of the water will go on your account. However, bottles water in the ports are usually cheaper than on the ship. And don’t worry. The bottled water off the ship is usually sealed and name-brand.

2). I won’t do this myself. When going to Alaska, I want to eat good Alaska seafood.

But....

If you embark in Seattle and your first ports are Alaskan, can you take unwrapped food off? Technically, you never visited a foreign port.

The Ump

John

Yes, in Australia this would be taken very seriously - we have extremely strict quarantine laws. You must declare everything. Commerically packaged foods like nut bars or cookies will most likely be allowed but fruit absolutely is not allowed Andy nor are some of the other suggestions here such as sandwiches or eggs from the buffet. These are not rules - it’s the law.