Lunch/food on excursions question

So if your excursion does not specifically say lunch or food will be served where/when do you eat?! If the excursion is like 4 hours I know my husband will want to eat, lol! I guess I should research where restaurants are near where our excursions may be? Also, our TA said we can take food from the ship in a lunch tote...is that true? We haven't booked any excursions yet, just wondering. Our cruise is RCI Puerto Rico/Southern Caribbean June 2nd-9th

Unless an excursion specifically states lunch is provided you're on your own. I always bring along baggies and will try to take some stuff off the breakfast buffet. Hard boiled eggs or I've even made a sandwich (they usually have deli meats and cheese) to take along. Never been confiscated. I also travel with pre-packed things - nuts, beef jerky, etc.

Unless an excursion specifically states lunch is provided you're on your own. I always bring along baggies and will try to take some stuff off the breakfast buffet. Hard boiled eggs or I've even made a sandwich (they usually have deli meats and cheese) to take along. Never been confiscated. I also travel with pre-packed things - nuts, beef jerky, etc.

Taking food that isn't prepackaged off the ship is against the agricultural laws of many countries and can result in a fine. It is usually clearly printed in the cruise compass and posted as you exit the ship.

Obviously you haven't been to Cozumel. They ALWAYS have dogs there.

Generally you are not permitted to take food off, but if you need a snack or lunch you can visit a restaurant. There are many local places but you may also see a few fast food chains (McDonalds, KFC, etc. ).

Search trip advisor for places to eat in various cities.

Enjoy

M

Tours almost always stop at a souvenir shop, and souvenir shops almost always have some sort of food for sale. I just wing it. I won't starve if I can't find food and I eat too freaking much on cruises anyway. ;)

I just take peanut butter crackers or protein bars and we eat them. It takes the edge off until we return to the ship. Then we can get something more substantial.

This is what we do. You might be lucky and just have your smuggled food confiscated or you might be subject to a hefty fine. Why chance it? It’s just wrong and a TA who makes such a suggestion is an idiot.

This is what we do. You might be lucky and just have your smuggled food confiscated or you might be subject to a hefty fine. Why chance it? It’s just wrong and a TA who makes such a suggestion is an idiot.[/quote

+1. Also, the tour is 4 hours, but if you read the details it probably will say that you have certain amount of time "on your own." This will allow you to find a fast food or a nicer restaurant.

So if your excursion does not specifically say lunch or food will be served where/when do you eat?! If the excursion is like 4 hours I know my husband will want to eat, lol! I guess I should research where restaurants are near where our excursions may be? Also, our TA said we can take food from the ship in a lunch tote...is that true? We haven't booked any excursions yet, just wondering. Our cruise is RCI Puerto Rico/Southern Caribbean June 2nd-9th

This varies dramatically from one excursion to another and is a another good reason to use private excursions over Royal ones. Royal ones tend to me a lot more bottom dollar oriented vs quality. (Yea, yea, i've heard your getting left behind concerns, but in 17 cruises averaging 2 or 3 excursions, I've used private most times and I haven't been left behind yet.) On the worst over excursion, A Taste of Antigua They promised us food, drink, and beach time. What it ended up being was being held hostage for 4 hours with no food, water or bathroom facilities. There was no swimming, the only bathroom facilities were at the very end and the actual taste of Antigua turned out to be a card table with individual plates of supposed local grown stuff that didn't add up to 100 calories per person. The only drink was about 1.5 ounces of some ginger based drink. With private excursions you can write and ask, and expect a timely accurate reply. With royal excursions you only have Crown and Anchor and this is one category they know less than most of us.

Thank you all! So, taking packages of protein bars and chips and the like is "okay". and what about a reusable/refillable water bottle...please tell me you can take those off the ship...I am NOT buying bottled water!

Yes, you can take a refillable water bottle off the ship, but you might be asked to dump it out when you reboard the ship. Some people try to smuggle on alcohol in water bottles, so they sometimes make people dump out open bottles.

Yes, you can take a refillable water bottle off the ship, but you might be asked to dump it out when you reboard the ship. Some people try to smuggle on alcohol in water bottles, so they sometimes make people dump out open bottles.

Okay, that's fine, that makes sense!

Yeah, she said, just have them wrap up some sandwiches or whatever in the morning and pack it in a lunch tote.

VERY wrong and incredibly irresponsible for her to tell you that! I'm so glad you asked here before doing so. :D Several members here suggested pre-packaged bars and such. We bring them from home - I get the kind I like, I don't have to search for them, and they travel well, and cost minimal money. The individual packages of nuts are great, too.

Have fun!

Tours almost always stop at a souvenir shop, and souvenir shops almost always have some sort of food for sale. I just wing it. I won't starve if I can't find food and I eat too freaking much on cruises anyway. ;)

file.php?id=37954

Thank you all! So, taking packages of protein bars and chips and the like is "okay". and what about a reusable/refillable water bottle...please tell me you can take those off the ship...I am NOT buying bottled water!

But where are you going to refill your bottle when you are off the ship?

You may want to rethink your position of NOT buying bottled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But where are you going to refill your bottle when you are off the ship? You may want to rethink your position of NOT buying bottled water.

Good point. Bottled water is not always expensive - have come across $1 bottles in many ports all over the world. :)

But where are you going to refill your bottle when you are off the ship?

You may want to rethink your position of NOT buying bottled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps he is assuming that he will only drink one bottle that day.

Good point. Bottled water is not always expensive - have come across $1 bottles in many ports all over the world. :)

True. Just be careful to check the cap of any bottle wherever you see it. We were at a very nice hotel in Singapore and the in-room bottles of water had broken caps and the water looked slightly cloudy - probably a refill. We did not drink it or brush our teeth with it.:o