What not to eat/drink?

rentayenta

Calamari rings. I had some on a previous cruise and they were chewy, like chewing on rubber bands. There must be a knack to cooking them so they come out just right. Also, I've come to the conclusion that Carnival's chefs don't know how to cook flat iron steak so that it's not tough, like chewing on a shoe.

Lobster...had it a couple times on Elegant night and it wasn't really all that good.

I got a really bad one a couple of cruises ago. It smelled faintly of ammonia. I sent it back and the replacement was edible.

edit: not saying it had ammonia in it, just that the smell reminded me of ammonia.

Looks like the Beef Wellington should be avoided.

Thanks for the replies. Truth be told, the food pics don’t wow me. The photos are good but the food does not look exceptional. I can’t imagine how difficult it would be be cook for however many people for a week +.

I've had good luck so far with the flat irons. The calamari is 'generic'.

We did not care for the prime rib, and my second least favorite entree behind that was the honey glazed pork loin- too many competing flavors.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Really? I usually love beef Wellington. But if they make it nasty, I might not order that. [emoji22]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do too, but I have not seen it on a menu in quite some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was disappointed with the crab cakes in the Steakhouse on the Breeze.

A Brandy Alexander is my favorite after dinner drink but a couple of years ago they stopped stocking heavy cream at the bars and were making them with half and half. Watery and pitiful.

Coming from a meat science background, those that complain about flat iron steaks need to understand that this particular cut not only naturally has a layer of gristle which cut with the grain (how Carnival cuts it), but it comes from a high-locomotion area on the cow. More locomotion = less tender meat. Not to sound like a smart butt, but a lesson in retail cuts is always a learning experience! :)

Will agree on the calamari, like fried rubber bands. Our family loves calamari and is very picky about it in restaurants to begin with, but hey what can you expect when feeding 4,000+ people?

The flat iron steak is very good, but you need to order it one level lower than you normally would, or it will come overcooked. I usually order medium steak. In the MDR, when I order it medium-well, it comes medium. If I order it medium, you guessed it, medium-well. Otherwise, it is an enjoyable dinner