Almost "Live" Ms Zaandam 14-Day to Alaska (May 21 - Jun 4, 2018)

Crew News

I am really enjoying your post and all of your scans. We will be doing this cruise in 2019 on Amsterdam. It is also our first cruise on HAL. We've cruised Alaska 4 other times, just on different lines. Your review gives me some insight on what to look forward to. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Heard that the snacks are free at the Explorations Cafe. Is this true?

Yws, snacks are free but have been reduced to just two items now instead of the array of sandwiches, cookies, and chocolate-covered strawberries before drydock this year.

Yws, snacks are free but have been reduced to just two items now instead of the array of sandwiches, cookies, and chocolate-covered strawberries before drydock this year.

Roger, what are you using for a scanner? I would really like to get one as your photos look really nice.

shucks! I was looking forward to chocolate covered strawberries!!!

Do you get fruit in your room everyday? I read that somewhere but wasn't sure if it was just for certain rooms or people.

Thanks again for all the info!!!

Roger, what are you using for a scanner? I would really like to get one as your photos look really nice.

I have used TurboScan by Piksoft on my iphone for years. It does a fantastic job scanning documents and has the option of photo, b/w, or color.

I replaced my old portable scanner with a Fujitsu iX100 Scan Snap that is both fast but can scan without a PC connected. Using phone scanner requires a lot of corrections to correct printed pages.

shucks! I was looking forward to chocolate covered strawberries!!!

Do you get fruit in your room everyday? I read that somewhere but wasn't sure if it was just for certain rooms or people.

Thanks again for all the info!!!

There is a small menu in the bottom of your fruit basket that must be completed and given to your Room Steward. Write-in items are also accepted.

Thanks for all your post. I went to look at the New Canaletto and the updated When and Where and they are not available. Hope it is just a quick fix for you as I am really enjoying the info. The Beverage post does work.

I replaced my old portable scanner with a Fujitsu iX100 Scan Snap that is both fast but can scan without a PC connected. Using phone scanner requires a lot of corrections to correct printed pages.

Thanks Roger. A bit out of my price range. :)

Since we left Seattle, the internet seems to be working fine. We were concerned about the data usage, but guest services says that isn't a problem with the premium package.

Thanks for all your post. I went to look at the New Canaletto and the updated When and Where and they are not available. Hope it is just a quick fix for you as I am really enjoying the info. The Beverage post does work.

Should be fixed now Thanks for letting me know.

Hi Roger. Is Sel de Mer pop up a la carte pricing now? On Oosterdam last year it was fixed price.

For ships other than Konigsdam, the price for the pop-up version of Sol de Mer is fixed at $49. I will be trying it tomorrow night.

Thanks Roger. A bit out of my price range. :)

Since we left Seattle, the internet seems to be working fine. We were concerned about the data usage, but guest services says that isn't a problem with the premium package.

Of course the Front Desk does not use the Premium Package. The issue is the internet connection disconnecting every five minutes or so. Location could also be an issue. The first two days I used the surfing plan and then upgraded to Premium with no change in internet responsiveness.

Day 05 began in fog and rain that continued throughout the day. Clouds were heavy and the temps in the mid 40’s. It must be noted that the Zaandam dropped anchor from 10:00 PM until 2:00 AM on the way to Juneau so that we could arrive with tide at 7:00 AM.

My “Discover Whales” excursion gathered on the pier at 8:30 AM. A couple from the former East Germany were lost and could not understand where they were supposed to meet their different excursion. Resurrecting my knowledge of, but not used in many years, German language skills, I was able to put them on the right path to their gathering point. 19 Zaandam passengers joined me on the airport shuttle-type bus for the ride to Auke Bay. We counted more than 50 bald eagles on the ground near the Mendenhall Glacier turn-off. When we arrived at Auke Bay, we were shown the port-a-potties near the edge of the parking lot to use instead of using the small bathroom at the harbor office.

Gastineau Guiding performs research projects in addition to whale watching and our guide, Rachael, was eager to complete the science data gathering operations with our help. The first whale was spotted five minutes outside of the harbor. Our next stop was to retrieve a crab pot experiment and evaluate the contents. Rachael was amazed to find 54 sea urchins who had checked-in during the last 24 hours. After recording required data, Rachael returned the creatures to their water home. It was also recorded that no dreaded green crabs were found.

We stopped near a buoy and observed stellar sea lions with several swimming around our small boat to display their swimming prowess. After viewing the sea lions for any “entanglements” as part of the science portion of our whale watching, we continued to watch a total of 10 whales. Our tour included a snack sack with granola bar, fruit leather, York peppermint patty, and peanuts. Water was distributed as we left the bus before boarding our small boat.

On my way back to the Zaandam, I made my annual visit to the Glacier Smoothie Soap cabin, Alaska Fudge Company, and the Juneau Popcorn Factory.

During my free afternoon on board, I heard only three float planes flying before 6:30 PM. There was a flurry of flights after that as the planes disappeared into the low-hanging clouds.

The Canaletto Friday Ossa Bucco special was both tender and flavorful with the pistachio gelato providing a sweet close to a nice meal.

Lots of updates to my website with menus and Where & Whens.

Tomorrow is Icy Strait Point with temps in the id 40’s and rain forecasted. Americas Test Kitchen will be demoing Asian dumplings at 2:00 PM.

More tomorrow.

Roger - thank you again for all the comprehensensive and detailed information you are providing. Your website is a truly valued resource!!!

I did notice some issues with how the MDR wine list seems to have uploaded. Several pages seem stretched/duplicated and it would appear the red wine by the glass page either did not scan/upload (sparkling/whites by the glass scanned/uploaded twice). As you were having issues with connectivity I thought I'd give you a heads up.