Almost "Live" Ms Zaandam 14-Day to Alaska (May 21 - Jun 4, 2018)

Crew News

Thank you for answering my question on the USB plugs.

You mentioned the bed is too low to accept closed suitcases. We've always been able to fit our luggage under the bed on previous HAL ships and that's going to be an issue if we can't do that any longer. Can you give us an estimate on the height under the bed?

I also though of another question. Can you find out how much the photo packages are? Do they offer an "all inclusive digital photo package"?

Enjoying your review and thanks again for answering questions.

Utahtea

Agree, that is crazy, where are you supposed to put your suitcase(s)? Assume you are not traveling with a steamer trunk...

Ask your Room Steward and he/she will be able to store them for you. I believe they are taken to Housekeeping where there is space for such things.

Joanie

Day 02 of our Alaskan 14-day cruise began with heavy overcast skies and bumpy sea swells. With many passengers sleeping late on a sea day, the Lido Market had no lines and lots of open tables. After a healthy breakfast, I obtained my muesli and cheese snacks for later snacks.

After struggling for several hours to make just a few posts over the internet, I headed to the Explorer’s Bar for our pre-coordinated with HAL Seattle Meet & Greet. Seeing no “private part” area, I went to the Front Desk only to find they had no record of Seattle’s Meet & Greet setup message. Those roll call members gathered in the Explorer’s Bar circled lots of chairs and we had our Meet & Greet. We even invited several guests just walking by to stop in and visit with us. Lots of Alaska experience was in our circle. Lunch followed in the MDR for about 20 of us. The MDR recorded everyone’s stateroom number for some reason and I will have ask about that later.

I provided the Front Desk a copy of my Meet & Greet coordination agreement for the Cruise Director. I don’t expect a response.

The count of kids on board increased to six that have been seen during the day.

Received my first laundry load back at 2:00 PM today and noted the absence of the sticky laundry labels. Paper tags attached with staples or safety pins seems to be the new marking method.

While checking in for my PG meal, I finally fixed my Sol de Mer reservations thanks to the PG Manager. Drydock changes to the PG included new chairs, carpeting, and wallpaper. Appetizer portions seemed smaller than what I have experienced in previous PG meals. There was no delay in any course being available as soon as I finished its predecessor. My meal was one of the quickest in all of my PG experience. The Head PG Chef spent a lot of time talking with the seated guests. No changes to the menu currently posted on my website. Water pressure was not strong enough in the shower to turn the handle over and spray up. Sinks had god water pressure and quick hot water.

The Front Desk told me that the positions of Culinary and Beverage Managers were being combined by HAL which need to verify.

No America's Test Kitchen events while in port tomorrow.

As I try to post this on CC, the fog is very thick and the fog horn is sounding periodically.

Tomorrow is Ketchikan and the chance to use my cellphone as a hot spot with truly fast internet speeds.

More tomorrow.

We are sailing on June 18th. I'd love to see programs and menus if you can. Bon voyage!

First three programs are now posted now that I can use my cell phone for internet access. Will try to update each day.

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/on-locations-specific-cruises/alaska-ms-zaandam-14-day-when-where-daily-activities-2018/

First three programs are now posted now that I can use my cell phone for internet access. Will try to update each day.

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/on-locations-specific-cruises/alaska-ms-zaandam-14-day-when-where-daily-activities-2018/

Thanks Roger! We went to the service desk to see about our data usage, since they only say the time you log in and the time you log out. They said it really doesn't matter with the premium plan. Now downloading pictures, it probably does matter. Nice to have cell coverage again. Our coverage at home isn't this good. :)

Thank you so much. We’ll be on her June 18. First (of many) questions: The DR times don’t indicate times for first and late seating. Does that mean we are all “anytime”? Need to plan ahead med and related meal schedules. Old age isn’t for the meek or disorganized. Thanks in advance for everything!

Thanks for the Test Kitchen info. Interested in the other free demos titles.

America's Test Kitchen demo events for Day 04 (Tracy Arm Cruising) include: Lunch for a Rainy Day (soup and grilled cheese) at 11:00 AM and Chocolate at 1:00 PM,

Thank you for answering my question on the USB plugs.

I also though of another question. Can you find out how much the photo packages are? Do they offer an "all inclusive digital photo package"?

Enjoying your review and thanks again for answering questions.

Utahtea

Candid Moments $139.95

5 Portraiture - $159.95

All inclusive - %319.95

Add $60 for pics on thumb drive

I don't know any details other than the photograph I took of the offers.

Day 03 began with continued heavy clouds, fog, and rain which continued throughout the day until the time we left the pier.

With an excursion leaving at 10:45 AM, I had a late breakfast in the Lido Market and encountered no lines and many open tables. After breakfast, I toured the ship and took lots of photographs for posting in my photo review of the Zaandam.

My Crab Fishing excursion started with a warm greeting from Captain Dave who remembered me from my other visits with IRL Joanie. I opted to find my special photographing spot on the top deck in spite of being in the rain. Although slightly wet, my water-resistant camera captured nearly 600 photos of swooping eagles and crab fishing demos. My ashore day ended with a visit to the Tongass Trading Company for two Alaska shirts and a six-pack of Diet Coke ($3.99).

With the Lido Market in the process of closing the lunch service, I felt the Taco Bar and big plate of nachos calling to me.

FWIW I saw only one float plane landing/taking off today instead of many every hour in better weather.

Dinner in the MDR was prime rib and an interesting pureed bean soup. I took the opportunity to quiz the Wine Steward about the staff officer’s names. Changes to the MDR during drydock were new carpets and new waiter stations. The PG will be receiving new wine tablets that allow searches by label, color, taste, recommendations for food pairing, and bottle pictures.

Staff names collected so far (Front Desk won’t give me the names but keep sending me to the Explorations Café interactive screen that does not show the names):

Captain – Anne Jan Smit

Cruise Director – Andy

Food/Beverage Manager – Andreess

Mix Piano Player – Mike

Dining Room Manager – Bagus

Hotel Director – Birarda

Tomorrow is cruising Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm, depending on ice flows and I will keep gathering changes since drydock, hope to hear the organ playing, scanning more beverage menus and more ship photographs. The weather forecast is partly cloudy and high 44 degrees. The forward deck will be open from 10:00 AM until 4:00 PM. The movie tomorrow is “Black Panther”.

The day ended with clearing skies and sunshine. Should be great sunset pictures shortly.

More tomorrow.

PS: Internet speed has gotten faster today.

Edited by Crew News

Chiming in to start receiving updates/posts. Our first HAL cruise will be 7/2 on the Zaandam with two additional this Oct/Nov on the Koningsdam. We've 30 on Princess and a few here and there on other lines (just got off NCL - never again).

It will be "sweet" to see the cake/candy demos as I worked 12 years for Wilton corporate as a teacher/designer/manager...:)...thank you!

Just a quick update to my comment on my non-working lamp USB. It was my error based on my phone telling me that it was not charging (it was already 100%). After plugging in another device, the lamp by the couch USB works fine.

Discussion with my Deck Housekeeping Supervisor, revealed that drydock changes in staterooms were lamp USBs, carpeting, and upgraded bathrooms for all staterooms.

Lots of library books still on the shelves. A sign on the wall near the bookshelves says that books are electronically monitored.

Interactive screen in the Explorations Cafe has not yet been fixed to show ship's staff officers since my Embarkation Day report to the Front Desk.

More later.

Roger

I understand the Neptune suites did not get the planned upgrade of the TV's and interactive service, is that correct?

Enjoying your reports.

That is correct according to my Deck 6 Housekeeping Supervisor. Every stateroom got new bathrooms, carpeting, and a lamp with USB connection.

Day 04 began with partly cloudy skies and temperature in the low 40’s. The weather shifted to bright sun followed in the afternoon with rain and heavy overcast skies. As I prepare this post, fog is growing in density.

Another early breakfast with no waiting lines at the serving stations. My grits were thick and creamy just the way I like them. Breakfast was another opportunity to replenish my minibar snacks with muesli and three types of cheese.

The trip into Endicott Arm, replacing Tracy Arm’s ice issues, was a chance to see lots of harbor seal moms and pups floating on ice flows, water falls, rock striations, and the amazing Dawes Glacier. During the afternoon the indoor pool roof was partially opened to allow passengers to enjoy the bright sunshine. While taking photographs from the aft Deck 6, I met a fellow passenger who provided many valuable tips for my future Antarctica cruise planning.

The balance of my afternoon was committed to scanning all of the ship’s beverage menus, Shops liquor price lists, and promoting Cruise Critic to fellow passengers.

Tomorrow is Juneau and whale watching for me.

More staff officer’s names thanks to the repaired interactive screen in the Explorations Cafe:

Captain (corrected): Ane Jan Smit

Staff Captain: Andrew McDonald

Food/Beverage (corrected): Andreess Noemeyer

Chief Engineer: Wilco Otten

Guest Relations: Francis Tolentino

Cruise Director: Andy Knox

Executive Chef: Pedro Lontoc

Ocean Bar Piano Player: Alejendro

Updated Explorations Café snacks are a biscotti (pistachio or chocolate) or sweets that are rotated every four hours (croissant pan chocolate, brownie, macaroon, carrot/oatmeal muffin, chocolate truffle, and raspberry/almond pin achira) under the two glass domes.

There are no America’s Test Kitchen demos tomorrow while we are in Juneau.

More When & Where, beverage menus, liquor prices, and new Canaletto menu should be posted tomorrow when I can use my cell phone hotspot in Juneau.

More tomorrow.

Day 04 began with partly cloudy skies and temperature in the low 40’s. The weather shifted to bright sun followed in the afternoon with rain and heavy overcast skies. As I prepare this post, fog is growing in density.

Another early breakfast with no waiting lines at the serving stations. My grits were thick and creamy just the way I like them. Breakfast was another opportunity to replenish my minibar snacks with muesli and three types of cheese.

The trip into Endicott Arm, replacing Tracy Arm’s ice issues, was a chance to see lots of harbor seal moms and pups floating on ice flows, water falls, rock striations, and the amazing Dawes Glacier. During the afternoon the indoor pool roof was partially opened to allow passengers to enjoy the bright sunshine. While taking photographs from the aft Deck 6, I met a fellow passenger who provided many valuable tips for my future Antarctica cruise planning.

The balance of my afternoon was committed to scanning all of the ship’s beverage menus, Shops liquor price lists, and promoting Cruise Critic to fellow passengers.

Tomorrow is Juneau and whale watching for me.

More staff officer’s names thanks to the repaired interactive screen in the Explorations Cafe:

Captain (corrected): Ane Jan Smit

Staff Captain: Andrew McDonald

Food/Beverage (corrected): Andreess Noemeyer

Chief Engineer: Wilco Otten

Guest Relations: Francis Tolentino

Cruise Director: Andy Knox

Executive Chef: Pedro Lontoc

Ocean Bar Piano Player: Alejendro

Updated Explorations Café snacks are a biscotti (pistachio or chocolate) or sweets that are rotated every four hours (croissant pan chocolate, brownie, macaroon, carrot/oatmeal muffin, chocolate truffle, and raspberry/almond pin achira) under the two glass domes.

There are no America’s Test Kitchen demos tomorrow while we are in Juneau.

More When & Where, beverage menus, liquor prices, and new Canaletto menu should be posted tomorrow when I can use my cell phone hotspot in Juneau.

More tomorrow.