Almost "Live" Ms Zaandam 14-Day to Alaska (May 21 - Jun 4, 2018)

Crew News

Day 07 at sea began with mostly cloudy skies and calm seas after some really strong swells as I went to bed. The day closed with bright, blue skies and wispy clouds. We are near land and the scenery is typical Alaska with snow-topped peaks.

My quick Lido Market breakfast, with no crowds on this sea day, preceded my struggle with the internet to listen to the Indy 500. I finally got connected to the race, more than half completed, and enjoyed the dramatic finish.

The afternoon following the race was filled with scanning dinner menus, downloading 1200 whale pictures, and fixing my website with new information.

Something happened around 2:00 PM that brought the internet up to speed and far fewer “disconnects”. I took the opportunity to update lots of new items. During my daily trip to the Taco Bar, I noticed that the indoor pool roof was opened about six feet to take advantage of the bright sunlight.

The TV news channels have been down for the past four hours. Laundry arrived earlier keeping intact the record of “same day” service.

Tonight was Gala Night Two (blue menu) and my question of a tuxedo count to Marcus, Assistant Dining Room Manager, was answered with, “20 at most” for my early dining. I opted for the filet Mignon, greens with goat cheese, and the Alaska berry tart (yummy). I also confirmed that pagers are not used for Anytime Dining which translates to, “must be present when your name is called.”

Tomorrow is Anchorage with 48-degree temps upon arrival with a high of 60 late in the afternoon. I have chosen the 10.5-hour 26 Glaciers excursion with a salmon lunch.

I have daily menus for Days 5 – 9 now that I have a good source and hope to post them tomorrow in Anchorage. Still searching for Days 1 – 4 with a promise to have them soon.

More tomorrow.

Was always fun to pull out something I hadn't worn since a cruise and finding the label on it-always brought a smile.

Just yesterday I found a tag on one of my tops. I had been wearing it and couldn't figure out why the back of the neck was scratchy when I never had that problem before. I had to laugh.

It is my understanding that a shuttle is provided from the dock into Anchorage. Could you let me know what kind of vehicle is used, are the lines long and what is done to accommodate those in a manual foldable wheelchair.

It is my understanding that a shuttle is provided from the dock into Anchorage. Could you let me know what kind of vehicle is used, are the lines long and what is done to accommodate those in a manual foldable wheelchair.

Not Crew News but I've done this cruise a few times and my husband uses a scooter. The shuttle is your regular Grey Line type bus with luggage bays. The lines move quickly and they have several running at a time to start with. Every time we've boarded one to come back in Anchorage there's been one waiting. They don't wait for it to fill but rather run on a schedule. The luggage bay holds his scooter and there are a few reserved seats at the front of the bus for the mobility impaired. My DH can walk up the steps with no problem so it's easy for him to do. The only thing we had last year was that we were told that there were certain times that those in wheelchairs and scooters would have problems boarding and that was because of tide fluctuations. We got back and the promenade deck was below the pier level and we had to duck under the lifeboat getting back on!

Karen

Not Crew News but I've done this cruise a few times and my husband uses a scooter. The shuttle is your regular Grey Line type bus with luggage bays. The lines move quickly and they have several running at a time to start with. Every time we've boarded one to come back in Anchorage there's been one waiting. They don't wait for it to fill but rather run on a schedule. The luggage bay holds his scooter and there are a few reserved seats at the front of the bus for the mobility impaired. My DH can walk up the steps with no problem so it's easy for him to do. The only thing we had last year was that we were told that there were certain times that those in wheelchairs and scooters would have problems boarding and that was because of tide fluctuations. We got back and the promenade deck was below the pier level and we had to duck under the lifeboat getting back on!

Karen

Thank you for posting this, as DW is using a wheel chair and we had been wondering about the transportation. Last year in Ketchican I got a tide table (NOAA web site) to ensure we came back during low tide so there wasn't much of ramp angle to get back on.

The Front Desk staff looked shocked when I requested 15 more Comment Cards. since the Front Desk does not have any, I was referred to my Room Steward.

15 Comment Cards ??? I would be researching the possibility of maybe finding another line to cruise on :rolleyes:

They must have changed their laundry policy at the end of our May 7-21 cruise. We had laundry service and they used the old "stickers" on everything. I also agree, finding the stickers months later bring back wonderful memories.

Did you notice a bus or other transportation to take into Hoonah? I saw that there was and there was a charge but didn't give details.

We were just at ISP/Hoonah. The shuttle bus we used ($3 per person, one way) was about the size of a hotel shuttle bus, maybe 20 pax? The stop at ISP is at the far end of ISP, past the small boat dock. The only stop we saw in Hoonah to return to the ship was the one we used, which was across the road from the Fisherman's Daughter restaurant. I do NOT know if that is the only stop IN Hoonah.

edited to add: the walking path from ISP to Hoonah is nicely paved, easy to walk, no major or minor uphills or downhills

15 Comment Cards ??? I would be researching the possibility of maybe finding another line to cruise on :rolleyes:

They can also be used to praise staff who go beyond what you would expect of them. They are greatly appreciated and in the past we have received a happy “thank you” from those crew members we have given “kudos”to.

I’m glad that Crew News is addressing issues that are showing up on this itinerary. Hopefully the next sailing will have fewer “glitches”.

They can also be used to praise staff who go beyond what you would expect of them. They are greatly appreciated and in the past we have received a happy “thank you” from those crew members we have given “kudos”to.

I’m glad

I am well aware of the purpose of Comment Cards. If you read the preceding posts, you will know that this was not their intended use in this case. ;)

I am sure that the majority of the comment cards he will be filling in/writing comments on will be praising of those folks on board who deserve the praise and recognition of their beyond and above services.

Crew News is not a complainer unless someone says or does something really stupid or insulting to his intelligence (sounds like the Front Desk Staff fits that bill....)

IRL_Joanie

I am well aware of the purpose of Comment Cards. If you read the preceding posts, you will know that this was not their intended use in this case. ;)

He did state that he'd given the Front Desk "their" comment card, so he would not need 15 more to give them.

Normally, when we have had a problem that did not rise to the level of getting upset and ruining our cruise(s) we'd wait and tell our story on the Ship Survey with an additional comment card (if needed.)

But in the case of the Front Desk staff on his present cruise, it sounds as if this matter he felt needed to be addressed A.S.A.P.

I can see him each evening before bed, sitting at the desk after posting reply's to questions we ask of him, checking his numerous photos of the day and writing his posts for this thread, Writing a commendation for at least one crew member who has deserved the recommendation. That's his way:)

IRL_Joanie

I am well aware of the purpose of Comment Cards. If you read the preceding posts, you will know that this was not their intended use in this case. ;)[/

My response got cut off. I also included that I am glad Crew News is bringing issues to the attention of the staff and front desk so that some of these issues will be resolved before we sail on the June 4 sailing!

quote]

We (DH and I, and Kazu and her DH) had a lot of difficulty on Prinsendam with the Sel de Mer dinners. The manager insisted she had been told by Seattle that the 5* discount would not apply. Friends just off the Rotterdam informed us they got the discount each time they had the pop-up dinner, so we were annoyed. I mentioned the inconsistency on the survey, as we also got the discount on the Koningsdam. Yesterday we (DH and I) got checks in the mail from HAL which I imagine are the discount... :cool:

Why is Sel de Mer referred to as a pop-up menu? And where is it served?

On Koningsdam, it is a separate restaurant, with an a la carte menu. On the other ships, it can be a once-a-week limited menu in the Pinnacle Grill. It is kind of like Le Cirque or De Librije were, just a specialty menu once in a while. On Prinsendam, it was once a week, but it could be less often, I imagine.

I am sure that the majority of the comment cards he will be filling in/writing comments on will be praising of those folks on board who deserve the praise and recognition of their beyond and above services.

Crew News is not a complainer unless someone says or does something really stupid or insulting to his intelligence (sounds like the Front Desk Staff fits that bill....)

IRL_Joanie

That is how he comes across to me, which is why I appreciate his posts. Fair and honest.

It is my understanding that a shuttle is provided from the dock into Anchorage........

Could I ask where the shuttle bus drops you off at? Is it the Holland Welcome Center downtown? I've rented a car from Avis downtown so that would work perfect for walking to Avis to pick-up the car, if that's where they drop us off.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Tonight was Gala Night Two (blue menu) and my question of a tuxedo count to Marcus, Assistant Dining Room Manager, was answered with, “20 at most” for my early dining. I opted for the filet Mignon, greens with goat cheese, and the Alaska berry tart (yummy). I also confirmed that pagers are not used for Anytime Dining which translates to, “must be present when your name is called.

They must have changed this since last cruise. We were on the May 7-21 Sailing and we were given pagers twice. The first one person was on the first formal night and they told us it would be 30-45 minutes the whole elevator areas was blocked. My dad and I went up one floor because he has a walker and I have a bad knee. We sat at the longe and I ordered a Diet Coke while we were waiting. As soon as the bartender brought coke the beeper went off. When we turned it in it still took another 10 minutes to get us seated.

After Juneau more people were eating in the lido.