Just Back from Saint Martin

I do not. When we told the cab driver we wanted to go to Rainbow he knew right where to take us. The beach is gorgeous. Soft sand and calm, turquoise water perfect for floating. If you eat at the restaurant (highly recommend!), you can use the beach chairs and umbrellas for no extra fee. There were no more than 10 people on the beach!

The worst traffic was leaving the cruise ship in the morning. We left Rainbow around 4:20 pm and were back on the ship before 5. Best day ever!

Thank you so much!

I've never been to Grand Case, but you can't go wrong with Mullet Bay with kids your ages. Great beach, waves are not rough, some snorkeling - not fantastic, but they will see fish, a fun area to the left of the beach to explore, beach chairs and umbrellas, low flying planes a short walk away.

It is not fancy - one BBQ restaurant and a port-a-pottie for restroom facilities, but it does make for an ideal beach day. It is also very easy to get to and from there from Philipsburg via either taxi or the bus.

We are visiting the island on June 30th. I had originally wanted to do a tour of both sides, but have pretty much ruled that out at this point. I think we'll likely visit a beach in the morning, and in the afternoon I would like to give my daughter time to explore the shops in Phillipsburg. Also, I'd love to surprise my Star Wars loving son with a trip to the Yoda Guy exhibit. Should we have time to get to Mullet Bay for a few hours, and then spend time in Phillipsburg in the afternoon? I know that the larger planes (the few that are arriving there now) come later, but I thought we would be better off traffic-wise if we take the water taxi back to ship. We will be docked 7-5.

We are visiting the island on June 30th. I had originally wanted to do a tour of both sides, but have pretty much ruled that out at this point. I think we'll likely visit a beach in the morning, and in the afternoon I would like to give my daughter time to explore the shops in Phillipsburg. Also, I'd love to surprise my Star Wars loving son with a trip to the Yoda Guy exhibit. Should we have time to get to Mullet Bay for a few hours, and then spend time in Phillipsburg in the afternoon? I know that the larger planes (the few that are arriving there now) come later, but I thought we would be better off traffic-wise if we take the water taxi back to ship. We will be docked 7-5.

According to the Port of St Maarten there is only one ship in, Carnival Fascination, which is a smaller ship by today's cruiseship standards. Very few timeshares are up and running just yet so there will be few larger planes as well.

Your post is confusing to me. You talk about Mullet but mention the planes and water taxi as well.

Mullet is the beach past the airplane beach which is Maho.

The water taxi does not go to either of those beaches but does go to Phillipsburg. You can take a water taxi back to the ship from Phillipsburg or walk or take a land taxi. Traffic around the port should not be busy on a Saturday with only the Fascination in.

To answer your question I think that you will have plenty of time to go to a beach and back to Phillipsburg for some shopping.

According to the Port of St Maarten there is only one ship in, Carnival Fascination, which is a smaller ship by today's cruiseship standards. Very few timeshares are up and running just yet so there will be few larger planes as well.

Your post is confusing to me. You talk about Mullet but mention the planes and water taxi as well.

Mullet is the beach past the airplane beach which is Maho.

The water taxi does not go to either of those beaches but does go to Phillipsburg. You can take a water taxi back to the ship from Phillipsburg or walk or take a land taxi. Traffic around the port should not be busy on a Saturday with only the Fascination in.

To answer your question I think that you will have plenty of time to go to a beach and back to Phillipsburg for some shopping.

We will be on Fascination, docked from 7-5. I am wondering if we will have time to go to Mullet for the first half of the day, take a taxi to Phillipsburg, spend a couple of hours there and then take the water taxi back to the ship. Given the traffic problems with construction going on I am thinking it is likely a better option to do the beach in the morning and avoid traffic going back to the ship by returning by water taxi.

Thats great just telling you what the cab drivers in Philipsburg told us.

About our day—hit the shops when they opened about 10am. Found my Cuban cigars and we bought stuff for the grandkids, got lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe then took a cab to Mullet Bay about 25 minutes. Beautiful beach, almost had the place to ourselves. Umbrellas and beach chairs to rent—$15 for two and a lady cooking bbq and selling drinks right there on the beach. Other than that just two port-a-johns to change clothes.

I love this island. God speed to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where did you get some Cuban cigars at?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be on Fascination, docked from 7-5. I am wondering if we will have time to go to Mullet for the first half of the day, take a taxi to Phillipsburg, spend a couple of hours there and then take the water taxi back to the ship. Given the traffic problems with construction going on I am thinking it is likely a better option to do the beach in the morning and avoid traffic going back to the ship by returning by water taxi.

Mullet will get busy with islanders in the afternoon so the morning is better on a Saturday.

Just a suggestion. If you want to take the water taxi back then get dropped off closer to the end of Front St to the ship and then head towards the water taxi dock when shopping and visiting the Yoda shop, otherwise you will be walking a lot.

Another idea would be to get dropped off nearer to the dock and walk down Front St to towards the end nearest to the ship. You can grab a taxi for about $3 each or walk 15 minutes or so to the ship.

Just returned. Had a terrific day. Did the Rhino tour at Simpson Bay and then took a cab to Grand Case for lunch at The Rainbow! The french side is pretty beat up, but the roads were driveable. We basically had The Rainbow to ourselves. Delicious lunch and then spent the afternoon on the gorgeous beach in front of the restaurant.

A few years ago we stayed at a condo right next door to The Rainbow Cafe and spent 7 glorious days on the beach there. The water was calm and the most beautiful color. We ate lunch almost every day at The Rainbow Cafe and the folks there were oh so nice. We are happy to hear they are doing well. If you want a beautiful beach, a wonderful lunch and nice people, I recommend The Rainbow Cafe.

Mullet will get busy with islanders in the afternoon so the morning is better on a Saturday.

Just a suggestion. If you want to take the water taxi back then get dropped off closer to the end of Front St to the ship and then head towards the water taxi dock when shopping and visiting the Yoda shop, otherwise you will be walking a lot.

Another idea would be to get dropped off nearer to the dock and walk down Front St to towards the end nearest to the ship. You can grab a taxi for about $3 each or walk 15 minutes or so to the ship.

Thanks for the help!

A few years ago we stayed at a condo right next door to The Rainbow Cafe and spent 7 glorious days on the beach there. The water was calm and the most beautiful color. We ate lunch almost every day at The Rainbow Cafe and the folks there were oh so nice. We are happy to hear they are doing well. If you want a beautiful beach, a wonderful lunch and nice people, I recommend The Rainbow Cafe.

The "Condo" and "The Rainbow" were the only two buildings that have been rebuilt on the beach. The water and beach are still glorious there. I didn't want to leave!

Just returned from cruise on June 2nd. Nothing open at Orient, all buildings were destroyed and not yet rebuilt.

We were there in February and one of the few things open was Perch Lite, on the former Club O property. It seemed weird to see the beach so deserted.

They were renting chairs and umbrellas and selling cold libations.

Just returned from cruise on June 2nd. Nothing open at Orient, all buildings were destroyed and not yet rebuilt.

Perch Lite Bar and Grill has a bar and BBQ open. I think I paid cash, was a great day.

We were there in February and one of the few things open was Perch Lite, on the former Club O property. It seemed weird to see the beach so deserted.

They were renting chairs and umbrellas and selling cold libations.

May 1st there were two ships in port with about 6000 or so cruisers. I would say there were 150-200 people on Orient Beach.

There were shops right on Front Street right off the pier selling Cubans. I saw a sign on the outside of one of the stores saying Real Cubans went in and there were three very nice ladies running the place with a good sized humidor. Can’t remember the name of the place though. Sorry.

If you take the water taxi to town, go one block into town. At the old court house looking building turn left. Just a few doors down on the right side of the street is a nice tobacco shop. Go upstairs and they’ve got a very nice selection. No fake Cubans, all the major brands and decent prices. I stopped in some of the other places along the street and I didn’t trust their merchandise that much.

There seem to be mixed reports on the condition of Orient Beach. We will be there for the day end of June and would appreciate some valid information.

Orient beach is still in bad shape. I wouldn’t go there other than to see the devastation. It is a real shame

Orient beach is still in bad shape. I wouldn’t go there other than to see the devastation. It is a real shame

There is work being done, but they have got the area around Club Orient cleaned up. We spent a great day there. Enjoyed it very much.

I have seen beautiful pictures on FB of Orient Beach. The beach looked great it's the buildings that were destroyed. It's slowly coming back.

Can't bring myself to go on a destruction tour. It's too sad and in poor taste to me.

I have seen beautiful pictures on FB of Orient Beach. The beach looked great it's the buildings that were destroyed. It's slowly coming back.

Can't bring myself to go on a destruction tour. It's too sad and in poor taste to me.

Agreed. We decided to visit Marigot last Thursday. It was sad to see the destruction there, but the locals appreciated our visit and business. Went to a couple of stores and had a wonderful lunch at the Tropicana in the Marina Port La Royale. Reservations are recommended because there are few restaurants open. The French side is our favorite in St. Martin, and I know that there has always been some animosity between both sides but now is worst. Taxi drivers on the Dutch side don't want to take the tourists to the French side, we had to insist on what we wanted. We were told that everything on the Marina Royale was closed and that is not true. Our driver wanted to take us to a friend's restaurant, but at the end he left us close to the Marina. Only once I didn't feel safe, my daughter and I were walking in front of my husband and son and this local teen looked and approached us in a way that I didn't like. When he saw my husband and son he kept on walking. My only regret is that I didn't plan to go there earlier, as we always do. I couldn't find good info before our cruise about what was open or closed, and were going to stay on the Dutch side, I hope that more people decide to visit the French side and spend some money there and therefore help their economy. Please, do the same in St. Thomas, they are also struggling.

https://www.fodors.com/world/caribbean/st-martin-and-st-maarten/restaurants/reviews/tropicana-153095

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed. We decided to visit Marigot last Thursday. It was sad to see the destruction there, but the locals appreciated our visit and business. Went to a couple of stores and had a wonderful lunch at the Tropicana in the Marina Port La Royale. Reservations are recommended because there are few restaurants open. The French side is our favorite in St. Martin, and I know that there has always been some animosity between both sides but now is worst. Taxi drivers on the Dutch side don't want to take the tourists to the French side, we had to insist on what we wanted. We were told that everything on the Marina Royale was closed and that is not true. Our driver wanted to take us to a friend's restaurant, but at the end he left us close to the Marina. Only once I didn't feel safe, my daughter and I were walking in front of my husband and son and this local teen looked and approached us in a way that I didn't like. When he saw my husband and son he kept on walking. My only regret is that I didn't plan to go there earlier, as we always do. I couldn't find good info before our cruise about what was open or closed, and were going to stay on the Dutch side, I hope that more people decide to visit the French side and spend some money there and therefore help their economy. Please, do the same in St. Thomas, they are also struggling.

https://www.fodors.com/world/caribbean/st-martin-and-st-maarten/restaurants/reviews/tropicana-153095

We were in port on June 30th. We took a taxi to Mullets Bay, and had a long conversation on the way as we were sitting in traffic. I told the driver that we decided not to visit the French side as many people were saying that nothing was open. He told us that's not true, and thought it was terrible that other drivers were preventing people from visiting. Really sad that their recovery is being impeded by lies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

I am still hoping somebody goes to Orient this month and post some pictures. I thought I had read another place opened up. Our next trip is in Feb but we have friends going mid August and they love Orient.