Refare a cruise

mel8kri

If the better sale is "for new bookings only," then yes, you will. If you used an FCC for the original booking, you'll lose that but it's only a hundred bucks.

I cannot claim a lot of experience here, but the 'new bookings only' thing seems to appear after Final Payment date.

If I book a cruise now with a non refundable deposit, and a better sale comes up, will I lose my deposit by switching to a better deal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are supposed to lose the deposit. I don't think Princess normally re-fares. What they normally do is cancel the current booking and re-book with the new promo. I say normally because in the past my T.A. has been able to get Princess to apply the non-refundable deposit, which was an FCD, to the promo.

I cannot claim a lot of experience here, but the 'new bookings only' thing seems to appear after Final Payment date.

Actually, I think you're right, though I too am no expert. Still, it's possible to score a lower fare after final payment.

For example, if you cancel and rebook shortly after final payment date, all you lose is the deposit, which might be worth it. And the fare on our Japan cruise dropped precipitously long after final, new bookings only, and because we had Princess Platinum, we were able to cancel for any reason and receive the difference when we rebooked.

I just re-fared a cruise with a non refundable deposit. I was told as long as there is a cabin in the exact category as what you have, they will give you the current price. This was the second time re-fared, the first time the promotion perks were lost, but the savings more than compensated.

You are supposed to lose the deposit. I don't think Princess normally re-fares. What they normally do is cancel the current booking and re-book with the new promo. I say normally because in the past my T.A. has been able to get Princess to apply the non-refundable deposit, which was an FCD, to the promo.

Princess does re-fare without cancelling the original booking.

Ive never had an issue, but they do some things different down here. One cruise re-fared 7 or 8 times, saved hundreds and picked up a few hundred OBC. Next Orincess cruise prices have only gone up, and believe me I check, FREQUENTLY.

I just re-fared a cruise with a non refundable deposit. I was told as long as there is a cabin in the exact category as what you have, they will give you the current price. This was the second time re-fared, the first time the promotion perks were lost, but the savings more than compensated.

You are lucky Princess re fared for you without penalty. I had the same situation with Royal Caribbean and they would only re fare to the cheaper price if I forfeited my original $800 non refundable deposit. Wasn't worth it so I kept my original booking.

I avoid any promotions with non refundable deposit unless it is close to final payment (which was just the case with our British Isles cruise).

I think I re-fared my upcoming cruise at least four times with the following promotions: Sip and Sail, Three for Free, anniversary sale, and finally a sale right before final payment. Princess agents in all cases calculated the value of what I was giving up in terms of perks versus what I was getting under the new promo. Then right before final I changed to a promo with non refundable deposit but significantly lower fare and no perks, and turned it over to travel agent who gave us onboard credit plus discount off the fare.

I prefer to maintain control of the booking until final payment. I check fares frequently and know what I want and what perks are important to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

How do you refare? Just make a dummy booking?

You could be required to cancel and then make a new booking. Be careful you do not lose more in perks and non refundable deposits than any saving you thought you would make.

How do you refare? Just make a dummy booking?

This is the Princess forum, so, to refare a Princess booking you can call Princess (if you booked direct), tell them that you noticed that the fare has changed for your sailing and ask if they can refare it for you.

They will. No problem. (unless you are past final payment)

That's it.

Other lines under CarnivalCorp. are similar except Carnival Cruise lines....if you booked an Early Saver rate the rules are a little different.

This is the Princess forum, so, to refare a Princess booking you can call Princess (if you booked direct), tell them that you noticed that the fare has changed for your sailing and ask if they can refare it for you.

They will. No problem. (unless you are past final payment)

Unless, of course, your booking is through a TA. And since many TAs give you a 5-8% discount (or, some report, even more) that's like an instant refare right off the bat.

I have done it many times as I like to book as soon as the cruise becomes available. I then watch the sales for a cheaper fare. Once I find it I call Princess (don't use a TA) and get the cruise price changed. The deposit (FCD) is not impacted but any added perks will be lost. However many times the perks coming with the new fare will make up for it. For a cruise I have done this 3 or 4 times before final payment.