Cancelling P&O auto tips - does this hit P&O in the pocket or the staff?

Harry Peterson

After reading the controversial post, we removed the ag's for the first time in over 35 cruises. We calculated the weekly gratuities and gave one third to the cabin steward, then a third each to the waiter and assistant waiter. The latter two we had to pay daily as we were on freedom dining. Both were surprised to get the cash which leads me to believe not many people tip daily. I must admit it was a pain having to get the correct cash then remember to take it to the dining room, but at least we know our tips went to the staff we wanted to reward. We don't want our tips to subsidise those who opt out and neither do we want them to be used as a weapon to keep staff in line

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forums mobile app

Very good points especially about tipping nightly in the Freedom dining which makes a lot of sense so each waiter that serves you doesn't lose out.

After reading the controversial post, we removed the ag's for the first time in over 35 cruises. We calculated the weekly gratuities and gave one third to the cabin steward, then a third each to the waiter and assistant waiter. The latter two we had to pay daily as we were on freedom dining.

Do you give it to them separately or both amounts to one of them. If to both does it matter which one.

Do you give it to them separately or both amounts to one of them. If to both does it matter which one.
We gave each one separately so as to be sure they divided it equally. I know in the past before ag's that the recommended amount for the assistant waiter was less than the waiter, but they work equally hard so we gave the same amount (€5 each )

Does anyone tip buffett staff, they hardly get a mention on here.

We have breakfast in the buffet and get to know the regular guys and girls. Usually they are the same staff who serve in the restaurants at night. We still tip them for service in the buffet. So they sometimes get ‘double bubble’.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are off on Ventura next January. P&O will attempt to increase our total fare by £392 with their stealth tax called a "Service charge". I do not believe for one minute that any of this goes to the crew and therefore we will be cancelling it as we simply cannot afford this. We do not believe in tipping. We do not tip anybody back home and as we avoid going to the USA we do not tip anybody on holiday either. I do understand that tipping is a way of life in the USA but the last time I looked P&O was still a British cruise line. If they want to paint the Stars and stripes on the bows of their ships instead of the Union Flag then that's what they should do. We would no longer sail with them!!

We are off on Ventura next January. P&O will attempt to increase our total fare by £392 with their stealth tax called a "Service charge". I do not believe for one minute that any of this goes to the crew and therefore we will be cancelling it as we simply cannot afford this. We do not believe in tipping. We do not tip anybody back home and as we avoid going to the USA we do not tip anybody on holiday either. I do understand that tipping is a way of life in the USA but the last time I looked P&O was still a British cruise line. If they want to paint the Stars and stripes on the bows of their ships instead of the Union Flag then that's what they should do. We would no longer sail with them!!
Do you not tip your hairdresser or wait staff in a restaurant in Cornwall?.

Tipping is not solely an American concept

Certain job sectors in the UK have an expectation of tipping. Personally I tip my hairdresser, in restaurants and in taxis.

It’s my personal opinion and I know some will find it offensive but on board I think it is tight not to tip staff something whether it is by leaving ag on or tipping in person or a bit of both. If you don’t have much IMHO you should still be tipping something. I would ask the question - if your children or grandchildren were waiting tables would you not like them to get even a modest tip?

I do think that those of us who tip are subsidising those who don’t so the sooner tips are included in the fare the better

Certain job sectors in the UK have an expectation of tipping. Personally I tip my hairdresser, in restaurants and in taxis.

It’s my personal opinion and I know some will find it offensive but on board I think it is tight not to tip staff something whether it is by leaving ag on or tipping in person or a bit of both. If you don’t have much IMHO you should still be tipping something. I would ask the question - if your children or grandchildren were waiting tables would you not like them to get even a modest tip?

I do think that those of us who tip are subsidising those who don’t so the sooner tips are included in the fare the better

Agree 100% with every point made and question asked.

If, as you say, ‘we simply cannot afford this’ why make the other inflammatory remarks to justify why you are not going to pay auto gratuities or tips?

Completely agree. Tipping is an accepted practice in the UK for taxis hairdressers, restaurants etc. We will continue to tip on P&O but live in hope that they will see the light and include the tips in the price of the cruise or at the very least make the autograts compulsory for everyone. Saying that they can't afford the tips just makes me wonder how they can afford the cost of the cruise and any on-board expenses such as drinks or select dining venues.

Do you not tip your hairdresser or wait staff in a restaurant in Cornwall?.

My hairdresser runs her own business and so charges what she needs to charge to maintain a her profit margins. Never use taxis so I don't need to tip them and rarely eat out in expensive restaurants so tips are not expected. It is interesting the great number of Michelin starred restaurants add a 15% service charge which sometime ago it was revealed in the media that the owners keep the tips themselves. Sort of proves my point I think. Of course P&O could include tips in the price of the cruise but they wont as it will make them too much like Marcella.

My hairdresser runs her own business and so charges what she needs to charge to maintain a her profit margins. Never use taxis so I don't need to tip them and rarely eat out in expensive restaurants so tips are not expected. It is interesting the great number of Michelin starred restaurants add a 15% service charge which sometime ago it was revealed in the media that the owners keep the tips themselves. Sort of proves my point I think. Of course P&O could include tips in the price of the cruise but they wont as it will make them too much like Marcella.

What about ordinary restaurants where the wait staff are on minimum wage and zero contract?

At the end of the day each to their own but to me you are tight as far as tips are concerned

Of course P&O could include tips in the price of the cruise but they wont as it will make them too much like Marcella.
Why would including gratuities make P&O too much like Marella? Different cruise lines, different ships. It would also make them a bit like NCL who now include gratuities in their “Premium All Inclusive fares”. But then again you couldn’t compare P&O to NCL with its freestyle concept and vast array of dining venues could you?

We gave each one separately so as to be sure they divided it equally. I know in the past before ag's that the recommended amount for the assistant waiter was less than the waiter, but they work equally hard so we gave the same amount (€5 each )

At a 10% tip (the fairly standard British amount) that would value the meal without drinks (as they have a built in service charge for the wine waiter) at a ridiculous €100.

That is absurd over-tipping.

Why would including gratuities make P&O too much like Marella? Different cruise lines, different ships. It would also make them a bit like NCL who now include gratuities in their “Premium All Inclusive fares”. But then again you couldn’t compare P&O to NCL with its freestyle concept and vast array of dining venues could you?
I think they are looking for excuses to cover their guilt for not tipping.

Tipping to a certain degree is accepted culture in the UK.

Not sure I grasp the concept of subsidising those who do not tip or remove the AGs. I tip in cash the way I want and it is not up to P&O to tell me what I should tip. So do those that leave the AGs on subsidise P&O? As I tick excellent on the survey, I am assuming the guys get their bonus. Simples.

Not sure I grasp the concept of subsidising those who do not tip or remove the AGs. I tip in cash the way I want and it is not up to P&O to tell me what I should tip. So do those that leave the AGs on subsidise P&O? As I tick excellent on the survey, I am assuming the guys get their bonus. Simples.

On our last cruise our cabin steward was a little quiet and looked terrified half of the time. The cabin was kept immaculate though. Did we rate him 5 out of 5 though in our minds (thinking back to other cabin stewards who were brilliant) he was not up to speed with them? To be honest he was probably a 4 as he wasn't as 'confident'.

You bet we gave him an excellent - and an additional tip. Now that we know how it works re tips we are more aware of what to put.

Personally I think the whole thing stinks. Working with the general public is never easy as everyone thinks differently. You only need to have one awkward passenger and your tips have gone ! Ridiculous.

If P&O was a good employer then they would be working with their employees to make them better and would 'read in to' some of the negative reports ...........

(Before anyone thinks we are soft, we also gave a really bad review of a very rude and inefficient member of staff who deserved to be thrown overboard!)

Rant over

At a 10% tip (the fairly standard British amount) that would value the meal without drinks (as they have a built in service charge for the wine waiter) at a ridiculous €100.

That is absurd over-tipping.

You may see it as absurd over tipping but I see it as dividing the £7 tips per person per day between the cabin steward, waiter and assistant waiter. We didn't remove the ag's in order to save money

And yet you are sailing on Queen Victoria in the Queens Grill?? I can't help feeling the butler won't be happy to not get a tip.

Why should we tip the hairdresser. Why do people,only want to tip certain trades. Why do we tip, and if we do why do certain people have to brag about it. It is nobody else’s business, if you do it fine, you don’t have to tell the world about it, if you,don’t once again that’s fine. All this rubbish about subsidising other peoples cruises is just plain daft, silly and childish.

Sent from my iPad using Forums