Diabetic help on Carnival cruise ships

derslatz

My wife and I are not new to cruising. We have 11 cruises under our belts, mostly with Carnival, with 12 and 13 coming up for 2018 and 2019. I have had a bone to pick with Carnival that has not really been resolved. My wife is diabetic and I am pre-diabetic. We watch our sugar and carb intake very closely. So, after a good meal, we usually like to have a good dessert. Who doesn't? The problem is, that when I look for anything that was made without sugar, or with a sugar substitute (like Splenda), I find little - and sometimes NONE - to be had. I have send Emails to Carnival about this, but see that nothing has changed for the better. It is estimated that 10+% of the population is diabetic. So, it could be safe to assume that maybe 10+% of the passengers on any Carnival ship would be diabetic. On a ship of 3,600 passengers, we're talking 360 passengers. 360 passengers who go without dessert. The funny thing is that the sugar free or sugar substitute desserts taste just as good as desserts made with sugar, so why not make more of them? Sure wish that they'd consider everybody on board. To top that off, my wife is the one in 1,500 who is allergic to garlic. But - that's another story.

I'm sorry, your point is?

Every cruise I've been on (admittedly not the 11 that you have), there has been at least 1 no-sugar-added dessert in the MDR. There are always sugar-free desserts on the Lido.

It seems that everyone has some sort of dietary issue. Personally, I can't use artificial sweeteners, so for them to add more to their menu would restrict my choices. I am lactose intolerant and don't have a fit because they don't provide lactose-free ice cream. I'm sure I could make up some sort of statistic to support why I think they should.

Splenda, Stevia, Truvia, and those type things cost a lot more than plain sugar. And there will be diabetics on board, perhaps even 10% of the passengers as you say. I guarantee not all 10% go without dessert. They will take more insulin with their meal, increase their basal insulin dose at night, or just not worry about it.

Splenda, Stevia, Truvia, and those type things cost a lot more than plain sugar. And there will be diabetics on board, perhaps even 10% of the passengers as you say. I guarantee not all 10% go without dessert. They will take more insulin with their meal, increase their basal insulin dose at night, or just not worry about it.

For me this is the answer. I am a type one with a pump and a CGM and I can eat whatever I want and compensate with insulin bolus dose, timing, extended bolus or adjustments to basal rates.

However Type II diabetics can't be as flexible, as they control BG levels by other medications and diet. Typically they don't have a CGM and only do one or two fingersticks a day. Very few take any insulin. They can't be as flexible with their diets as a Type I with up to date technology.

All of that being said, I have never experienced a lack of sugar free dessert items on board. I can't see how you couldn't pick an acceptable options at every meal if you are a dessert person.

The dessert problem is not unique to Carnival. Fortunately I don't care for the types of desserts offered on most lines. The best I ever had was on Celebrity, the no sugar added cheesecake. Much smaller portion and much tastier than the regular cheesecake. I am type 2 diabetic, and my nursing background plus understanding MD allow me to adjust my medication to my diet. Plus being on a cruise forces me to more exercise than usual which really helps. EM

My wife and I are not new to cruising. We have 11 cruises under our belts, mostly with Carnival, with 12 and 13 coming up for 2018 and 2019. I have had a bone to pick with Carnival that has not really been resolved. My wife is diabetic and I am pre-diabetic. We watch our sugar and carb intake very closely. So, after a good meal, we usually like to have a good dessert. Who doesn't? The problem is, that when I look for anything that was made without sugar, or with a sugar substitute (like Splenda), I find little - and sometimes NONE - to be had. I have send Emails to Carnival about this, but see that nothing has changed for the better. It is estimated that 10+% of the population is diabetic. So, it could be safe to assume that maybe 10+% of the passengers on any Carnival ship would be diabetic. On a ship of 3,600 passengers, we're talking 360 passengers. 360 passengers who go without dessert. The funny thing is that the sugar free or sugar substitute desserts taste just as good as desserts made with sugar, so why not make more of them? Sure wish that they'd consider everybody on board. To top that off, my wife is the one in 1,500 who is allergic to garlic. But - that's another story.

I feel for you. Diabetes is a tough disease that affects every aspect of one's life.

I must say that it is incorrect to state that desserts made with artificial sweeteners taste just as good. I would rather skip dessert than have one artificially sweetened.

Maybe the taste difference prevents the cruise line from eliminating some of it's sugar sweetened offerings to provide more options for 10% of the guests.

My husband is a Type 2 diabetic and for us, it is all about the choices we make. Neither of us cares for the aftertaste of Splenda or saccharin, so we prefer to make different choices. If the desserts look good, we skip the carbs at dinner and add more veggies. An extra couple of laps around the promenade, a longer after dinner stroll, or skipping those couple of beers might offset the extra at dinner.

Eat the dessert but only a spoon or two. Most of them look much better than they taste.

Skip the pies as they are incredibly dry

Exactly.

I ignore "diabetic friendly" desserts because I believe artificial sweeteners are unhealthy. If one feels like a sweet, order what appeals. Just don't consume all of it. Sometimes there are "taster" portions which are perfect. Fruit is also a good option. Again, in moderation.

Balance is the real key to maintaining good blood sugar levels. Not completely avoiding sugar and carbs.

Good advice here.

1) There is a non-sugar dessert at lunch and dinner on the buffet and in the dining room (vanilla and sometimes butter pecan ice cream). If you don't see one, ask.

2) Eat smaller amounts of regular desserts.

3) Fruit, fruit, everywhere in moderation of course.

The funny thing is that the sugar free or sugar substitute desserts taste just as good as desserts made with sugar

No, no they don't. And yes, I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic, so spare me the "you don't know what I'm going through" part.

I enjoy the sugar free desserts. But I do wish they would offer a reduced sugar fruity drink or two. I used to buy a lot of them, but now have to keep it to about 2 for the week. Rum & diet soda gets boring and I can do that at home, so on cruises it’s mostly water and iced tea.

You will only have 1 choice and it says diet yet when you ask if it's made sugar free they can't answer that.:evilsmile:

I am diabetic and on the first night of the ship I go talk to the Maitre d’ and let them know. They will allow me to put in a request for a sugar free chocolate or carrot cake and they will have it ready the next night and store it so I can have a piece each night if I wish. Or they ask if I want something different the next time so they can make it in advance. The options are always there for you just make sure you go ask.

If everybody who is diabetic, has this or that allergy, this or that illness has a bone to pick with Carnival because they do/did not accommodate their request for a special diet, can you imagine the chaos that would create in the day to day running of the ship, and we are not talking one ship here, we are talking what? 25-26 ships!

smh

And just so you know, I am diabetic (dependent on N & R Humulin insulin shots) as well but I learnt a long time ago to adjust myself to the situation I am in and NOT expect others adjust/accommodate to my situation. If you have not learnt to adjust your food intake so that you can have dessert, perhaps

a diabetes management class would be in order for you.

Just sayin.

PS: Your thread title is extremely misleading, you do NOT need any help, you need to learn to help yourself.

Edited by 1AL

If everybody who is diabetic, has this or that allergy, this or that illness has a bone to pick with Carnival because they do/did not accommodate their request for a special diet, can you imagine the chaos that would create in the day to day running of the ship, and we are not talking one ship here, we are talking what? 25-26 ships!

smh....

Do you think the non diabetic population is any less prone to allergies and other food intolerances? If a large foodservice operation cannot cope with with the multitude of differing dietary requirements in a general population, it should not be in business. Happily Carnival ships like many other foodservice operations know how to cater to the vast array of dietary needs found in any heterogeneous group of 3000 - 5000 people.

As you rightly point out, it is still up to each individual to take care of their own selections and intake.

My husband is a Type 2 diabetic and for us, it is all about the choices we make. Neither of us cares for the aftertaste of Splenda or saccharin, so we prefer to make different choices. If the desserts look good, we skip the carbs at dinner and add more veggies. An extra couple of laps around the promenade, a longer after dinner stroll, or skipping those couple of beers might offset the extra at dinner.
My husband is type 2 as well. He likes dessert, so he skips potatoes, pasta and rice. And he exercises more so he can eat that dessert!

mbet, I carry sugar-free drink enhancers to add to my ice water. You find them at the grocery store near the powdered drinks. There's a lot of flavors!

I have a suggestion along these lines too. For your soda allowance, bring carbonated water, add the water enhancers and a shot of rum or vodka. No carbs, more variety.

As for the OP, I am still confused about the complaint. There are sugar free desserts every night and several at the buffet. I don't get what the bone to pick is.