Balcony locks

Ameena02

My husband, son and I are taking our first cruise next month on the Eurodam. My son is 14 and sleep walks. Tonight he went outside for the first time. Now my husband is worried that he will open the balcony door and jump overboard. Is there a way we can make it difficult to open the doors? Thanks for your help.

You have to go through a lot of effort to unlock the balcony door. It involves turning the lock several times until it stops. Kind of like it’s threaded inside to make it watertight. Having said that, I have no idea whatsoever if that will thwart a sleep-walker. Best to speak with a professional.

The bacony doors are quite heavy and one knows when they are pushing it open.

Keep in mind, HAL balcony doors are not sliders

Edited by sail7seas

We just got off Eurodam on Saturday with a VB balcony. Loved it! We all had difficulty opening the balcony of we had locked it because the "key" has to be in the sweet spot in order to push the door open. If you are concerned, you could tie a noise maker to the "key." Although we ended up sleeping with our door open a couple of nights as it was so freaking hot in our cabin. We reported it to our steward and our control was turned down to the coolest setting the moment we walked in to our cabin. We had packed a battery powered fan fortunately to help.

Make sure to start your meclizine st least a night before you leave if you are predisposed to motion sickness. Outside of the inside passage can be pretty rough.

Happy , safe cruising!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

We just got off Eurodam on Saturday with a VB balcony. Loved it! We all had difficulty opening the balcony of we had locked it because the "key" has to be in the sweet spot in order to push the door open. If you are concerned, you could tie a noise maker to the "key." Although we ended up sleeping with our door open a couple of nights as it was so freaking hot in our cabin. We reported it to our steward and our control was turned down to the coolest setting the moment we walked in to our cabin. We had packed a battery powered fan fortunately to help.

Make sure to start your meclizine st least a night before you leave if you are predisposed to motion sickness. Outside of the inside passage can be pretty rough.

Happy , safe cruising!

The main reason your cabin was "freaking hot" is because someone else was also leaving their verandah door open, regardless of posted warning on the verandah door to keep the door closed at all times.. It is an integrated ventilation system between many other cabins. I hope you brought this to the attention of staff who could track down the cabin who started the open-door problem that most likely ended up impacting yours as well. NEVER FORCE YOUR VERANDAH CABIN DOOR OPEN.

The main reason your cabin was "freaking hot" is because someone else was also leaving their verandah door open, regardless of posted warning not to. It is an integrated ventilation system. I hope you brought this to the attention of staff who could track down the cabin who started the open-door problem.
As I stated in my post, we reported it. But I'm not going to spend my time chasing down someone to do their job while I'm sweating and about to have an anxiety attack from smothering. Not my first rodeo. I waited on the phone for 50 minutes with guest services one night to have them get our cabin steward and ask again about the temperature. I finally hung up. Our family are rule followers and dont open the door, close the curtains to keep out the sun, stay in line, etc. But at some point, I'm done. Although closing the curtains on an Alaskan cruise is just sad but when on trying to sleep, I dont expect to have sweat running down my face and my cold natured daughter. When she says it's hot, you know it is just not me. Btw! Great job hijacking someone else's thread on a comment I made to a new cruiser.

As I stated in my post, we reported it. But I'm not going to spend my time chasing down someone to do their job while I'm sweating and about to have an anxiety attack from smothering. Not my first rodeo. I waited on the phone for 50 minutes with guest services one night to have them get our cabin steward and ask again about the temperature. I finally hung up. Our family are rule followers and dont open the door, close the curtains to keep out the sun, stay in line, etc. But at some point, I'm done. Although closing the curtains on an Alaskan cruise is just sad but when on trying to sleep, I dont expect to have sweat running down my face and my cold natured daughter. When she says it's hot, you know it is just not me. Btw! Great job hijacking someone else's thread on a comment I made to a new cruiser.

Count on this important warning to always get inserted when passengers demand open verandah doors.

BTW. air rushes out of your cabin and not in the cabin when you open the door. Please pay more attention to the dynamics of the cabin fire suppression ventilation needs as well. As you describe your situation, I am surprised you did not make a trip to the front desk for immediate attention.....instead of "waiting 50 minutes on the phone".

Whata bout the people on your a/c line that are not in a verandah cabin? When all those ca bins left the verandah door open, can you ima gine how hot that made the 'no verandah ' cabins? You could sit on the verndah......... to get air ,,,, they could not. That is a rule that should be obeyed.

Why wait a ll that time for a steward ?

Did no one mention engineering ?

Edited by sail7seas

The person can still walk out of an ocean view cabin and find his way to an open area. The balcony door is just one of the worries.

V ery much less conveniently and poss ibly awokened while walking around the ship.

Once it is locked there is a position that the key comes out- I tried it. In very bad weather stewards can lock the balconies and take the key for safety.

Great suggestion.

There is also a cube that can be used to place in front of the cabin door that can make it a little more challenging to open the cabin door.

FWIW: I also suffer from sleep walking and other issues and my DW and I have agreed that when it happens on a ship (and it has) for her to wake me ASAP. Turning on a light has worked so far for me.

The cabins are small so locking the door and removing the key and placing it somewhere safe (like locked in the cabin safe) should suffice. Even if your son is sleeping next to the door, he would have to walk to the other end of the cabin, open the closet door, key in the safe code, open the safe, retrieve the key, walk back to the balcony door, pull back the drapes, and then insert the key in the correct position in order to open the door. You will hopefully be awake before any of this transpires.

I wonder how Disney cruise lines works with young sleep-walkers onboard their ships - much more child oriented setting.

I can't speak for Disney, but RCI has safety locks on the balcony doors placed where children can't get to them. While a 14 year old might be able to reach them, perhaps a sleepwalker wouldn't be sufficiently aware to be able to undo two locks.

I think the door alarms are a good idea. On the cabin door, there should be a couple locks - dead bolt and door knob. At our school (preschool kids w/autism), we hang bells on the door knobs to alert us if one of them is trying to go out. We also put up screens so they don't see the door and use furniture to make it difficult to go straight out. Maybe if you hung an extra sheet over the door it wouldn't look like an exit. You could also get a door stop that would make it difficult to open the door, but I think the balcony doors open out, so it might not work for that.

I think the door alarms are a good idea. On the cabin door, there should be a couple locks - dead bolt and door knob. At our school (preschool kids w/autism), we hang bells on the door knobs to alert us if one of them is trying to go out. We also put up screens so they don't see the door and use furniture to make it difficult to go straight out. Maybe if you hung an extra sheet over the door it wouldn't look like an exit. You could also get a door stop that would make it difficult to open the door, but I think the balcony doors open out, so it might not work for that.

There is a curtain to draw between the cabin door and the closet area turning it into a private dressing area, that could be closed at night. And there is moveable door stop close by used to keep the door open when the stewards are working, that could be reversed and placed to keep the door closed. Thanks for your practical suggestions. Certainly taking the key out of the locked balcony door would be protection #1.

My husband, son and I are taking our first cruise next month on the Eurodam. My son is 14 and sleep walks. Tonight he went outside for the first time. Now my husband is worried that he will open the balcony door and jump overboard. Is there a way we can make it difficult to open the doors? Thanks for your help.

I just saw a video of the New Mein Schiff 1 and they have a child safety lock on their balcony doors. That doesn't help you right now. I am sorry. Having the door locked over night is probably the best option.