Any recent Silhouette cruisers?

Mr Sea Gull

We will be boarding the Silhouette in July and just wondered if anyone that has been on a recent cruise can update us about the ship eg. Bar tenders in Martini bar and World class bar. Is Qsine still onboard? Current Captain and general ship info.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, We've just come back from the 26th May Baltics 14 night cruise, I'll post a review in a few days but had a fantastic time. The ship is in great shape, can't say we saw any areas that we thought looked tired or jaded. We didn't visit Qsine but it is still on board, we did the Lawn Club Grill and the steak was superb. The Captain was Captain Georgios Iatrou but he called himself Captain George. Previously we've felt 'so so' about the World Bar, but this cruise we spent most nights there. It was one of the quieter bars (but still had atmosphere) so always got a warm welcome from the bar tenders and we loved the cocktails. The Martini bar was great, but did get busy so you struggled to get a seat unless you got your timing right as people were still in the 8pm show or heading to the 8.30 dining. Will get a proper review completed, but any specific questions, let me know and I'll try and answer them.

Hi Rascal 1

Thank you for that info and I look forward to your review. It's good to know Qsine is still available so fingers crossed it's still there next month!

I am sure it will be. I can't see them removing it at short notice.

We have also just returned from the May 26th cruise and it was really good. We enjoyed the food in the OVC particularly, did not use any speciality restaurants. Captain George was at the end of his three month stint so there will be another captain for you. I am sure you will love the Silhouette, we had an excellent cruise on her.

Good to hear such positive views, How was the food in the main dining room?

Bearing in mind it is produced for so many people, we thought it was very acceptable. If anything is not to your taste they will bring you something else and the waiters try hard to please. We were on the cruise before the Baltic cruise and we noticed that the menu was the same from the first night onwards on both cruises. There was a reasonable choice (although this had decreased from previous years) and the vast majority of times the food arrived promptly, and hot. Usually the meat was tender and you can choose your preferred degree of done-ness. I noticed that on this ship the food was not so salty as it had been on previous cruises (on the Eclipse). In fact, we thought the food overall was an improvement on the Eclipse, which is saying something as we loved the Eclipse.

On the last chic night one of the appetisers was a scallop in a shell which the people on the next table thought was small as they asked for more and were given it. They also ordered extra lobster. You can order more than one of each dish or more than one dish if you find the portions to be small. We thought they were on the small side but because we had eaten so well during the day we didn't mind. My husband likes being waited on in the dining room but I prefer to see the food before I choose. Also they don't serve a lot of veg in the MDR unless you ask for more veg to be brought. However because they serve a good variety of fruit and salad for breakfast and lunch in the OV, we don't find this to be an issue. Hope this helps and that you have a lovely cruise! Missing it already.

Rascal1,

Do you need to upgrade to premium to

Take advantage of the World Bar ?

The cheapest cocktails I can remember seeing were $14 so I do think you need premium package. But you can pay the difference if you just have the classic. We brought a cocktail in Martini Bar and was charged $1 even with the premium package. I think it was a Celebrity Celebration one, at least that's the only thing I can think was a $1 charge at the Martini bar.

Like you we loved the Eclipse but things change and we go with the flow. Now we have the Silhouette and I hope we will enjoy cruising on her too from the UK. Food is always subjective but we usually find something we like but we were a little concerned when we heard previously that New York steak had been taken off the daily menu and swapped for Irish stew. I'm sure whatever goes we will have a good time and I'm really pleased that the recent cruise was so good as its a similar itinerary.

We have the premium package so Martini Bar and World class bar see you in a few weeks! Any ideas of the names of the bar tenders?

Look for Carlos at the Martini Bar (and he does Al Bacio during the day). He's fantastic and has an amazing memory! We were on and saw him nightly on the Silhouette in March and he said he's on through the summer.

Like you we loved the Eclipse but things change and we go with the flow. Now we have the Silhouette and I hope we will enjoy cruising on her too from the UK. Food is always subjective but we usually find something we like but we were a little concerned when we heard previously that New York steak had been taken off the daily menu and swapped for Irish stew. I'm sure whatever goes we will have a good time and I'm really pleased that the recent cruise was so good as its a similar itinerary.

Yes it is a shame that the steak had been taken off the daily menu, however, other steak dishes were on the other menu some nights. I had a chateaubriand one evening which was good, and we both had sirloin steak another evening, and one night there was beef wellington. Also in the OV you can usually get a very good minute steak, either as part of the buffet or cooked for you. I am sure you will have a good time regardless of the menu changes - there's always something to enjoy and Silhouette is every bit as good as the Eclipse in our opinion.

Thank you I will look out for both Johnny and Carlos.

It seems that only the Silhouette has lost New York steak from the menu, can't understand why but in their wisdom Celebrity think Irish Stew, a sausage concoction and liver are now acceptable for cruisers departing the UK. Imaginative ways of using leftovers and cheap cuts are modern luxury it seems.

We are booked on the Aug 18th Ireland/Iceland trip out of Southampton, I was just in our planner and there is no listing for either Quisine or the Porch. Any recent Silhouette people to let us know what is happening as far as those two restaurants on this ship?

Thanks

Has Michael’s reverted to being a Craft Beer bar, as it used to be?

Michael's is still a suite/Zenith lounge. But, I believe they will stock any of the craft beers if requested by guests to Michael's.

• 1 month later...
Any one can drink at the World Class Bar. If the price of the drink you order exceeds your package, you'll pay the difference in cost (plus gratuity). If you have no package, you pay the whole cost of the drink (plus gratuity).

When Celebrity sails from the UK all prices on menus include gratuity, they are higher as a result

I was on the Silhouette Baltic cruise during July 2018. I saw steak on the menu every night and never once saw Irish stew.

June 23 - 7 th July.

I complained that steak was no longer on the everyday menu and was told by Maitre ‘D Anthony that the menu had been changed for the large number of British cruisers.

You can find my member review here:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=627930

Edited by upwarduk