I am worried.....

misha1

Well said!!

I ended up have a great conversation with a couple from Seattle, that started with the husband saying "I'm stressed" my reply of "if you're stressed in the Haven you are doing it wrong" made them both laugh. Another couple in the Haven who HATED every meal, and stressed out the staff so much, that I didn't want to eat in the restaurant at the same time - turns out his original "I'm stressed" was a shot at that couple.

The service and food in the Haven on the Bliss was the best I have ever had - did I love every dish, no, but it was well cooked, nicely presented & the staff WANTED to help & for every passenger to enjoy the experience.

Ditto. And what a beautiful ship.

Yes...I do try to take negative comments with a grain of salt. I am glad to hear that my worries are mostly unfounded and we will look forward to our sailings. I am still a bit confused by the MDR situation...are there like 3 separate MDR? Do they all have the same menu, just different decor?

I love the food on NCL.

I NEVER go to a specialty restaurant.

There are 3 MDRs, one large more formal one - I never go - and two smaller less formal ones. They have the same menu each day, and then each day they have about 5 new items. The large one tends to be loud and they have shows there, so it's all dependent on what you want.

Seems like the food might not be as good as it "used to" be. :(

The idiom that familiarity breeds contempt is an old one. It means that the more comfortable one becomes with something the more likely they are to see the flaws in that thing. For instance, a person's feelings about a particular thing can go from optimistic, to complacent, to spiteful without that particular thing changing at all. The day to day proximity to the thing results in a person's mind looking for ways to keep it interesting.

The idea that "familiarity breeds contempt" or "the honeymoon is over" or "the sheen is off of the apple" has been around a long time. Things often don't "seem" to be as good as they were "in the beginning". When you took your first cruise, everything was new. Now you know what to expect, you know the routine, and it isn't new and exciting as it once was.

We hear a lot of anectdotal evidence that things are worse, but no facts, no hard evidence....just opinion. Interesting that despite the fact that this is just a fact of the human condition, we have a hard time admitting that things just might not be as bad as they "seem".

I guess nothing beats the "good old days". :rolleyes:

Absolutely.

The best demonstration of this is seen through internet forums. Pick anything you want and find an online forum based on that subject. Despite the contributors to that forum being mostly people who choose to purchase that product/support that team/listen to that music/take that holiday etc, a huge proportion of those comments will be from people complaining that things aren't as good as they once were. The band has sold out, the food isn't as good as it used to be, the players just aren't trying. It is the same everywhere.

I follow online forums for a number of sports teams I support. Between them, they are having very different fortunes. One has just had an appalling season, another is in the process of a potentially record breaking successful season, another is in with a good chance of winning the league and another is mid table. Reading the forums, you would sometimes have a hard time working out which one is which. Even the very successful team's forum is full of comments about how bad things really are, how it is pretty well luck that we are not bottom of the league, stuff like that.

It's just the way things are. It can be quite entertaining at times though. :)

I, along with many other people I spoke with on my cruise, would disagree. The food sucked, no beating around the bush.

Part of the problem with this website is that there are people that cruise one line, and that’s it. Odd, blind loyalty. Variety is the spice of life. Anyways, these are the people who have no complaints about NCL food. Because thy have nothing else to compare it to.

People need to explore outside of their safety zones before forming a valid opinion.

boy are you assuming a lot when you make a comment about so many of us only sailing one line. We have been sailing since the early 1980s and have sailed 9 lines, 2 are no longer in business. We have sailed budget lines up to luxury lines I am not the only one on here that can say the same.

So you have made it very clear you hated the food. And you say you talked many others who said the same. I can say that about our several Princess cruises but it doesn't mean much. Out of thousands on cruisers those few you or I spoke with are probably less than 1/2%.

You can make a statement about variety is the spice of life. That is so true, so why did you spend a week on a cruise ship that offers more dining choices than any other line and never try anything but the MDR?

Gristly steak that is hard to chew (and I almost had to spit out because I simply could not chew it enough to swallow) is not subjective. That's what's called a crappy steak by anyone's definition. A salmon burger that is fishy tasting and smelling is a clear sign that it is not fresh. Not subjective. That's what's called bad fish.

Sorry (not really) if you don't like what I experienced literally just one week ago. Not sure what to tell ya.

Every recent review you'll find on both CC and Shipmates app has the same complaint. The food on NCL Sun sucks.

It is what it is. I'm simply sharing my first-hand experience.

absolutely not so about CC reviews showing the Sun food sucks.

We've been on 4 cruises all NCL, and have no desire to change to a different line at this point since all 4 have been amazing. But I agree with other posters, the key is keeping expectations in check. One poster talks about only paying 300, with free drinks. What kind of land vacation could you get for 300? Super 8 in the middle of nowhere, eating fast food maybe. Cruising is an extremely affordable vacation option, and I'm in awe each time I go at the value I receive for what I pay. And that includes our 3 cruises in the Haven. They were still about half of what I would drop on a typical Disney vacation. That is how we vacation though, touristy themes with lots to do. It is just what we prefer, and NCL and cruising fit the bill perfectly at this point. We've had no issues with the food, but in 4 cruises, I have not hit the MDR yet. But other complimentary offerings like O'Sheehans and the Noodle bar have been great.

Our Epic cruise was the first in a while where we ate in the MDR for some meals, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good everything tasted. Service, too, paralleled that of the Specialty Dining. You have nothing to worry about!

Did I hurt your feelings because I have an honest review of my experience?

The post you are responding to was just saying that you are incorrect in your assertion that all NCL Sun reviews on CC say that the food sucks.

Luckily, this is an easy one to check. Let's have a look at the last 10 reviews posted here, and see what they say about the food.

"The food the entire cruise was not very good and the selection was always the same."

"The food on the cruise didn't have no taste"

"Dining - ate in the main dining rooms for dinner. Mostly the Seven Seas. The food was good - no seriously, the food was good. Service was very good."

"Ate in the buffet or had pizza and sandwiches in area on other side of buffet. Also ate at buffet outside a few times and always found something tasty."

"The dining however was fabulous and everybody treated you like royalty."

"My husband, kids and I ate at the Four Seasons which was very good. We regret not eating there more often. I ordered the prime rib and it was fantastic. The service was great as well and especially friendly with our two small children."

"They food was great as was the dinning staff."

"The food was okay, in general. The staff at Le Bistro was wonderful. We didn't find the wait staff in the general dining overly personable or pleasant. One night I was handed a wrong menu. The waiter took my order, then didn't bother to tell me that what I ordered wasn't available that night until the rest of my party's food came out."

"The food was the best I have had on many cruises. The service was excellent throughout and the ship was clean."

"Seven Seas dining room was great. Terarre was a great server. My only complaint about the ship was the lack of food available on the day in Cuba."

There you go. All 10 reviews mentioned the food. Only two of those were negative. Notably, a number of those positive comments came in very negative reviews. Looking further down the list of reviews I see more positive than negative comments on the food.

It appears that newmexicoNita made a valid comment. I would also suggest that it appears that opinion on food may be subjective. :)

You obviously didn't enjoy the cruise, or the food. However, when it comes to it, that is your opinion and others are entitled too theirs. Overall, the Norwegian Sun reviews on cruise critic are not good enough, and there seem to be a number of issues with the ship. I have never been on it, so can't comment, but some people also seem to have very much enjoyed the ship and the food.

Just to avoid all doubt. My comments on here are not a disagreement with your opinion of the Norwegian Sun. I am not defending NCL or the ship for whatever may or may not have happened when I wasn't there, or commenting on food that I haven't eaten. I am purely responding to your constant attempts to put down anyone who has a different opinion to yours (even when their point is backed up by facts, such as in this case).

Was on Infinity last month. My biggest complaint about the food was too much salt on some dishes but this is a problem I encounter most places as I use very little salt in my food!

You do know that before you sail, they ask if you have any dietary restrictions. You can asked for reduced sodium meals.

One thing I've noticed is that the majority of people who participate on travel message boards (be it cruising, Disney world, etc.) are there to complain - and complain about the most minor stuff. I have learned to not take message board feedback very seriously because it tends to be one sided and nitpicky.

Just to avoid all doubt. My comments on here are not a disagreement with your opinion of the Norwegian Sun. I am not defending NCL or the ship for whatever may or may not have happened when I wasn't there, or commenting on food that I haven't eaten. I am purely responding to your constant attempts to put down anyone who has a different opinion to yours (even when their point is backed up by facts, such as in this case).

Thanks for the research; I was thinking perhaps the Sun did have a problem with food. But alas, we must come down to the final conclusion that "food is subjective".

Also, the disclaimer didn't state this, but were any animals harmed in your post? :)

Thanks for the research; I was thinking perhaps the Sun did have a problem with food. But alas, we must come down to the final conclusion that "food is subjective".

Also, the disclaimer didn't state this, but were any animals harmed in your post? :)

And here are three recent trip reports that mention food quality is an issue. You'll notice one of them is mine. It is fair and balanced and points out that some food was good, some was not. Guess you'll just have to sail on her and see for yourself. :)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2642775

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2635627

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2644432

And here are three recent trip reports that mention food quality is an issue. You'll notice one of them is mine. It is fair and balanced and points out that some food was good, some was not. Guess you'll just have to sail on her and see for yourself. :)

Can I just say that your review looks very balanced and reasonable to me. Obviously, having never been on the ship before I can't comment on any issues or opinions, but it certainly reads very reasonably to me.

i have sailed the Sun and the food did not suck.

the only item we had that truly sucked on an NCL ship was the Cornish Hen in the MDR on Breakaway.

That is my son's absolute favorite meal on any cruise, any restaurant. LOL! Once again, it just shows how tastes vary.

(I wish I had a picture I could post of his plate afterwards looking like a massacre had taken place.)

That’s like saying “I’ve stayed at the Hilton four times and have never had a bad room, but I’ve only stayed in a suite.”

wrong again, since I have stayed in some lousy Hilton suites. But I understand your point, and while I did do 3 specialty dinners, other meals during my non-Haven cruise were either at complimentary areas or even the buffet, all fine.

Good morning fellow cruisers! DH and I are new to NCL, doing the majority of our sailings on Celebrity. I have been scouring the CC NCL threads for tips and reviews and I have noticed an unpleasant theme. Many people comment on the service and food, especially in the MDR as being mediocre to poor. While I am aware of differences in opinions, I cannot help but be worried as food and service is high on my list of cruise priorities. Surely NCL would not continue to be able to build multi million dollar products without some redeeming qualities. And please don't tell me to go back to Celebrity. I am not bashing the NCL product...my next 2 cruises our in Jewel and Bliss...I am just a bit perplexed as to how so many have poor experiences with dining. Perhaps they are the only vocal ones?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I wasn't impressed with the some of the food on offer from the Main Dining room and other free facilities, but some I was. I wouldn't go so far as to say something was horrible, maybe disappointing is the word I'd use.

The service was a mix as well. I also got quite irritated to be told, when having breakfast in the main dining room, that it is going to take a long time for EVERYONE's meal because I ordered an omelet and there is only one person making omelets. Really? I thought that was poor.

It was a mix for me. There is definitely some quality pay for dining though. I would say the included dining was better on Celebrity in my experience. You're also not paying as much as Celebrity either though. NCL is good for its price point.

Did I hurt your feelings because I have an honest review of my experience?

No, just referring to your comment about all recent reviews saying the food sucks. I checked the CC reviews and this is not the case. That's all and just pointing out people have different ideas on good versus bad, versus ok food like we do on most issues in life. There is no one answer, it is all opinion.

the point remains, you said ALL the recent reviews. Some of us are trying to re-assure the OP that not all recent reviews say the food sucks. I still think maybe, had you taken your own advise and tried variety you might have had a better overall view of the food. You said you ate all your meals in the MDR. With so many choices I have to wonder why? But if that was your choice you must have had a reason. Too bad with so many options you didn't venture out a little more. It also appears from you review this was a bit of a different type of cruise, more party type than normal cruises

Good morning fellow cruisers! DH and I are new to NCL, doing the majority of our sailings on Celebrity. I have been scouring the CC NCL threads for tips and reviews and I have noticed an unpleasant theme. Many people comment on the service and food, especially in the MDR as being mediocre to poor. While I am aware of differences in opinions, I cannot help but be worried as food and service is high on my list of cruise priorities. Surely NCL would not continue to be able to build multi million dollar products without some redeeming qualities. And please don't tell me to go back to Celebrity. I am not bashing the NCL product...my next 2 cruises our in Jewel and Bliss...I am just a bit perplexed as to how so many have poor experiences with dining. Perhaps they are the only vocal ones?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Many people will take time to complain, but most will not take time to compliment.

I just got off the Gem from its Memorial Day sailing. Not me, or anyone else in my family had a bad meal the entire trip, whether in the main dining rooms, buffets, or specialty restaurants. Overall, I would rate the food very good to excellent. This has been my experience every time I've cruised on Norwegian.

I thought the entire staff was very friendly, and experienced slow service only one night.

Bottom line - when you read extremely negative reviews, take them with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app