Caribbean Princess - Fort Lauerdale, 10:55am flight -worried

culvercitycruiser

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am feeling much better about this.

I live in the Los Angeles area and our traffic is terrible.

We are about 26 miles from the Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro) but can take 35 to 90 minutes depending on the traffic and time of day.

Glad that the port in Fort Lauderdale is so close.

While I agree with you about the traffic in LA, by the time you get to LAX you will have already stopped worrying about making your flight at FLL. I live about 26 miles north of LAX. On Wednesday afternoon, on the day before Thanksgiving, that is about a three hour commute. On the week between Christmas and New Years, it can be done in about 35 minutes because all the Hughes employees get that week off.

The only time I would be nervous about a 10:55 am flight out of Fort Lauderdale is if I were disembarking from a trans-Atlantic cruise or any other one that was calling on a US port for the first time in months. Those returning ships are subjected to increased inspections of the crew and ship that can result in delayed disembarkation and delayed embarkation of the following cruise. Princess has gotten better in the past few years notifying embarking passengers that boarding will be delayed until early afternoon but I'm not sure how good they are about warning disembarking passengers about possible delays. On one of our first Princess cruises on the old Royal Princess (capacity 680 passengers) the ship was returning from the summer overseas and when we arrived for embarkation at noon they were still disembarking passengers and then we had to wait while some other inspection was completed.

For people interested in just how close Port Everglades is to FLL, take a look at the map from the port's website. The southwest edge of the port and the east edge of the airport are only separated by a highway and a surrounding land buffer. https://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Everglades_Map_REVISED_November_30_2016_bae57d31-04c5-41d1-b193-a4bf242d9293.pdf

I have an 8:45am flight, and I'm not worried. You will have plenty of time with a 10:55 flight.

what time does the next plane leave and what is the availability of seating as your backup plan when you miss the flight ?...:confused:

what time does the next plane leave and what is the availability of seating as your backup plan when you miss the flight ?...:confused:

8:45am is doable if every thing goes as it should. However, if the ship is late, the airport is very crowded, or if there is a delay in debarking, things could get tight.

I made it to the airport by 7:10am. Even a half hour later (7:40am) I still would have been on time for the 8:45am flight - had there been one on the day I was there.

Hello,

My friends have booked our flight out of Fort Lauderdale for 10:55am. I am worried about having enough time to get to the airport. We are planning on getting off with our luggage that morning.

Should I be worried? Will we have enough time to debark and get to the airport?

Thanks for anyone who might have done this successfully, I really appreciate your comments.

Thanks,

Christie

On our last cruise, we disembarked, grabbed an Uber and were at FLL by 8:30. That's without an early walkoff.

8:45am is doable if every thing goes as it should. However, if the ship is late, the airport is very crowded, or if there is a delay in debarking, things could get tight.

I made it to the airport by 7:10am. Even a half hour later (7:40am) I still would have been on time for the 8:45am flight - had there been one on the day I was there.

Yeah, this is my experience too.

10:45, 9:45, 8:45 anyone for 7:45?

I almost booked a 7:45am flight on our last cruise, which docked at 6am. It was either 7:45am or 10:45am, and I didn't want to sit around the airport. But, I decided not to book the earlier flight.

However, as a test, I did do express walkoff, and walked off with the first group, I was probably 100 in line for that, and still got to the airport at 6:40am. Would have easily made it, but even I have limitations on what I consider comfortable. If I knew for sure the ship and all would be ontime, I would easily book at 7:45am flight.

10:45, 9:45, 8:45 anyone for 7:45?

I almost booked a 7:45am flight on our last cruise, which docked at 6am. It was either 7:45am or 10:45am, and I didn't want to sit around the airport. But, I decided not to book the earlier flight.

However, as a test, I did do express walkoff, and walked off with the first group, I was probably 100 in line for that, and still got to the airport at 6:40am. Would have easily made it, but even I have limitations on what I consider comfortable. If I knew for sure the ship and all would be ontime, I would easily book at 7:45am flight.

I was going to book an 8:45am flight. Fortunately I didn't, as that got changed to a 7:45am flight. I did self debarkation and arrived at the airport at 7:10am which was too late for the 7:45am flight. However, even 1/2 hour later I would still be on time for the 8:45am flight - had there been one. I ended up leaving the ship at 6:40am.