Caribbean Princess - Fort Lauerdale, 10:55am flight -worried

culvercitycruiser

Hello,

My friends have booked our flight out of Fort Lauderdale for 10:55am. I am worried about having enough time to get to the airport. We are planning on getting off with our luggage that morning.

Should I be worried? Will we have enough time to debark and get to the airport?

Thanks for anyone who might have done this successfully, I really appreciate your comments.

Thanks,

Christie

Hello,

My friends have booked our flight out of Fort Lauderdale for 10:55am. I am worried about having enough time to get to the airport. We are planning on getting off with our luggage that morning.

Thanks for anyone who might have done this successfully, I really appreciate your comments.

Thanks,

Christie

A couple of weeks ago, I had an 11:19am flight from FLL. No problems whatsoever. We were on the 8:15am group, took the Princess transfer and was there in plenty of time.

Princess recommends flights from 11 am onward for Ft. Lauderdale. You should be fine, but if you don't have a disembarkation time before 8:30 go to the appropriate desk and request an 8 am disembark time. Plan to grab a cab to the airport - it is about a 10 minute trip, might take a bit longer if there is a lot of traffic leaving the port that day. Do you have TSA pre-check and/or GOES? It will speed your way through the security lines if you find any other delays along the way. You should be fine, the only real variable, that is beyond the control of Princess, is the Customs and Immigration part at the port, if there are not enough agents the lines could be long. Oh, we also try to use curbside check in for our bags at the airport, and your flight is just a few minutes too early to be able to use the EZ check offered by Princess.

Maybe.

We have had 6am scheduled ship arrivals to FLL with 11 am flights.

It is not recommended but if everything goes ok it is doable. That is a big IF though.

Check your scheduled arrival in port - 6 am or is it later? The arrival time is simply that. First passenger disembarkation can be an hour or more later depending on many things.

Is it the first time the ship is back to the US or is it returning to FLL many times already? If its the first visit back to FLL there will be inspection delays meaning you can't get off until later.

Can you all walk off with all of your luggage? (Not put it out night before - walk all off in morning unassisted). That gives you best option to get off the ship at the earliest. Then grab taxis to the airport. It is close by and a taxi is faster than ship transfers which wait for the bus to fill. ( we don't use Uber or similar so I can't comment on them)

How many ships in port that day? Officials will be spread across many terminals if many ships and customs lines will be longer. Also port traffic will be heavier.

If all of these things work in your favour, you will have no issues making your flight.

The risk of missing your flight increases with each difficulty.

There are LOTS of threads here about this issue and I think most of them give similar advice.

If you select the early walk off option you should be off the ship by 7:30 or 8:00 at the latest. Catch a taxi for around $20 and you will be at the airport in 10/15 mins. With the early walk off option you wheel all your own luggage. You do not place it in the hall the night before for pick up in the terminal.

Hello,

Thanks,

Christie

The following is from my review of the Royal Princess in December 2017. I booked a 10:45 flight out of FLL and did self disembark. If my luck held out, I would have taken an earlier flight, but booked the 10:45 to be safe. I knew I would be able to make that flight. As it was, I was too late for the 7:45 flight, the 8:45 flight no longer existed and the 9:45 flight was full ...

About this time it is time for me to grab a light breakfast, then back to the cabin to drag my stuff down to deck five. I depart about 6:40am and make it through customs without being asked any questions. Never needed my customs declaration form.

Outside there is a large van that offer to take me (and several others) to the airport for $10. I arrive at the airport about 7:10am. I am too late for the 7:45am flight and the 9:45am flight is full, so I guess I am stuck with my original flight reservation of 10:45am. When booking the flight I was thinking of booking the 8:45am flight. However, after I booked, that flight was changed to 7:45am. I really didn’t like the 9:45am flight, as the layover was only 36 minutes in Atlanta. I was able to go to the Delta Sky Club for $29, so all in all, it worked out okay for me (so far - we are currently on our decent into Atlanta).

The following is from my review of the Royal Princess in December 2017. I booked a 10:45 flight out of FLL and did self disembark. If my luck held out, I would have taken an earlier flight, but booked the 10:45 to be safe. I knew I would be able to make that flight. As it was, I was too late for the 7:45 flight, the 8:45 flight no longer existed and the 9:45 flight was full ...

About this time it is time for me to grab a light breakfast, then back to the cabin to drag my stuff down to deck five. I depart about 6:40am and make it through customs without being asked any questions. Never needed my customs declaration form.

Outside there is a large van that offer to take me (and several others) to the airport for $10. I arrive at the airport about 7:10am. I am too late for the 7:45am flight and the 9:45am flight is full, so I guess I am stuck with my original flight reservation of 10:45am. When booking the flight I was thinking of booking the 8:45am flight. However, after I booked, that flight was changed to 7:45am. I really didn’t like the 9:45am flight, as the layover was only 36 minutes in Atlanta. I was able to go to the Delta Sky Club for $29, so all in all, it worked out okay for me (so far - we are currently on our decent into Atlanta).

Thanks so much!. Hopefully no issues getting of the ship.

Princess recommends flights from 11 am onward for Ft. Lauderdale.

This is true for 6AM arrivals.

Princess' actual recommendation is (from the FAQs under 'Flight Guidelines for Non Princess Flight Guests'):

Disembarking Passengers

Earliest International Flight Departure for Ft. Lauderdale: 5 hours after ship's arrival.

Earliest Domestic Flight Departure for Ft. Lauderdale: 4 hours and 30 minutes after ship's arrival.

If the OP wants actual reassurance we need to know:

Day of week?

Time of year? (Holidays?)

Only Princess ship in port that day? If not, which Terminal?

...and the biggie: What time is scheduled for arrival?

Disembarking Royal Princess from Terminal 2 last November I had eaten breakfast, exit the ship on a very crowded gangway, claimed my bags, gone thru customs, and had called my ride for pick up---which arrived simultaneous with Caribbean Princess backing into Terminal 4 at 8:45 AM.

This is true for 6AM arrivals.

Princess' actual recommendation is (from the FAQs under 'Flight Guidelines for Non Princess Flight Guests'):

Disembarking Passengers

Earliest International Flight Departure for Ft. Lauderdale: 5 hours after ship's arrival.

Earliest Domestic Flight Departure for Ft. Lauderdale: 4 hours and 30 minutes after ship's arrival.

If the OP wants actual reassurance we need to know:

Day of week?

Time of year? (Holidays?)

Only Princess ship in port that day? If not, which Terminal?

...and the biggie: What time is scheduled for arrival?

Disembarking Royal Princess from Terminal 2 last November I had eaten breakfast, exit the ship on a very crowded gangway, claimed my bags, gone thru customs, and had called my ride for pick up---which arrived simultaneous with Caribbean Princess backing into Terminal 4 at 8:45 AM.

Saturday, July 21, 2018 is the exact date.

In 2018 we had an early flight...9:50 I think and we were fine. We did walk off, first in line and off and @ airport no problem with curb side check in. Yes, left a bag behind with the spa girl so we could carry 2 bags. I am looking at seriously decreasing amount of stuff to bring!!!

I have seen threads that people got off ship to airport by 7 and at work in Idaho by 9

Unless we are talking 7am and 9pm or the post was made on April 1, I'm not buying it.

First you have to be at the airport one hour early. So the flight takes off at 8am. Then you have a five hour flight, so now it is 1pm. Most of Idaho is in the mountain time zone, the northern part of Idaho is in the Pacific time zone. So we can subtract 2 to 3 hours, which still puts it at 10 to 11am. Then you have to collect your luggage and drive to work, another hour (unless then work at the airport). So now it is 11am to noon. And that is assuming they found a non-stop from FLL to Idaho, which I doubt has ever existed.

FLL is a short and fast ride from the port. It's not like LA where it can be a looooooooong drive to get from the port to LAX. You should be fine with your current flight. Just watch it in case the airline decides to change it to something crazy early.

IF the ship arrives in port on time and has a normal Customs clearance, you'll have no problem at all. We've actually been at the airport as early as 8am (7:30 departure from ship).

On the other hand...stuff happens. We've had cruises where a prolonged Customs clearance tied up the ship for hours. On one cruise we had a 3pm flight....and when we were still in line for Customs at 1pm I was beginning to worry. That is obviously not typical though.

The thing in your favor is that it is about a 10 minute trip from the cruise terminal to the airport. Know which terminal you need at the airport and be dropped off there....you'll be fine.

I have seen threads that people got off ship to airport by 7 and at work in Idaho by 9

Not possible. We travel from FLL to our home in Idaho several times each year. It requires at least one layover somewhere and even with the time change it just can't happen. And I live only 15 minutes from the state's major airport.

Now if we're talking 9 pm then maybe.

I was on a cruise arriving in Ft Lauderdale and was talked to a gentleman who seemed nervous the morning of disembarkation. The ship was due to arrive and he and his wife were to walk off first with luggage. He had a 9am flight and he said he had done it before. All was on time and he was off by 720. I obviously don’t keep if he made it but the stress wouldn’t have been worth it to me. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am feeling much better about this.

I live in the Los Angeles area and our traffic is terrible.

We are about 26 miles from the Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro) but can take 35 to 90 minutes depending on the traffic and time of day.

Glad that the port in Fort Lauderdale is so close.

I've been debating this issue myself. Looking at flights departing out of FLL, the only two reasonable options for our upcoming cruise appear to be 10:45 and 1:55. Both involve layovers in Atlanta. I could get home a few hours earlier on the 10:45, but is worth the stress? Probably not. I'll most likely opt for the 1:55 and get home a little later.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am feeling much better about this.

I live in the Los Angeles area and our traffic is terrible.

We are about 26 miles from the Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro) but can take 35 to 90 minutes depending on the traffic and time of day.

Glad that the port in Fort Lauderdale is so close.

Daughter lives in LA....Fort Lauderdale on a bad day has better traffic than LA on a good day! And the airport at FLL is a lot more like Burbank than LAX.

We had a 10:10 with Virgin. Walked off on our own after a snack at the IC. Quick cab to the airport and we were at the gate by 8:30. That even surprised me. The only airport I would ever consider doing this is FLL because the trip from port to airport is so short and direct. Customs is usually quick if you are among the first off and there are generally a line of taxis ready to go. I don’t think it’s worth the couple of bucks Uber might save you. Security was much quicker than I could have imagined, maybe it was the early hour.

Hello,

Thanks,

Christie

I have an 8:45am flight, and I'm not worried. You will have plenty of time with a 10:55 flight.

We had a 10:10 with Virgin. Walked off on our own after a snack at the IC. Quick cab to the airport and we were at the gate by 8:30. That even surprised me. The only airport I would ever consider doing this is FLL because the trip from port to airport is so short and direct. Customs is usually quick if you are among the first off and there are generally a line of taxis ready to go. I don’t think it’s worth the couple of bucks Uber might save you. Security was much quicker than I could have imagined, maybe it was the early hour.

The airport in San Diego is also very close to the port.