Service charge question

MikeNKim

Was looking to book a cruise on NCL but while going through the FAQ there apparently is a mandatory service charge

Is this in place of tips or are you expected to tip as well?

Thank you

Kim

Was looking to book a cruise on NCL but while going through the FAQ there apparently is a mandatory service charge

Thank you

Kim[/

I will bite!

You have been on numerous cruisers and on cruise Critic since 2006...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not sure what kind of answer that is but yes I have been on many cruises but never NCL since you took the time to look at my cruise history couldn’t you have just answered my question or scrolled right on by

I did read the FAQ which is how I found out about the service charge, maybe it is because I am reading on my phone but couldn’t see if there was tips as well

Yes. It is a gratuity. Just like Carnivals prepaid gratuity.

I did read the FAQ which is how I found out about the service charge, maybe it is because I am reading on my phone but couldn’t see if there was tips as well

What about Gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 20% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 20% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

The DSC is required to be paid - either prepaid or after your cruise.

If you choose the drinking package or the dining package, you are already charged for the 20 % gratuity.

So you do not need to tip extra unless you wanted to or if they did something special for you.

It is up to you if you wanted to tip your room steward.

If you are in Haven & uses any services - you should tip the butler.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi. We will be taking our first NCL cruise next April. My travel agent confirmed that the mandatory service charge is the same as the automatic gratuity on Carnival. I don't know about the difference in price (if any), but it covers the tips. Enjoy your cruise!

I am not sure what kind of answer that is but yes I have been on many cruises but never NCL since you took the time to look at my cruise history couldn’t you have just answered my question or scrolled right on by

Basically there are who knows how many threads all over CC about tipping and gratuities etc...

Hi. We will be taking our first NCL cruise next April. My travel agent confirmed that the mandatory service charge is the same as the automatic gratuity on Carnival. I don't know about the difference in price (if any), but it covers the tips. Enjoy your cruise!

Your travel agent is not an employee of any cruise lien and cannot speak to the issue on their behalf.

What about Gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 20% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 20% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

The DSC is required to be paid - either prepaid or after your cruise.

If you choose the drinking package or the dining package, you are already charged for the 20 % gratuity.

So you do not need to tip extra unless you wanted to or if they did something special for you.

It is up to you if you wanted to tip your room steward.

If you are in Haven & uses any services - you should tip the butler.

Enjoy your cruise!

Incorrect. You can pre-pay it OR it will be added to your on board account as you cruise. You do not have the option of paying it AFTER you cruise.

My travel agent confirmed that the mandatory service charge is the same as the automatic gratuity on Carnival.

Your travel agent is not an employee of any cruise lien and cannot speak to the issue on their behalf.

Nice of you to chime in, but what the TA said IS correct. So there's no reason to cause the OP doubt in her TA's ability.

OP, once the DSC is paid, either prior to boarding as part of your final payment or at the end of your cruise (you'll see the daily charges on your on board statement), there is no need for ANY additional tip.

Incorrect. You can pre-pay it OR it will be added to your on board account as you cruise. You do not have the option of paying it AFTER you cruise.

Maniacal Cruiser -

Anyone would know that it added on the on board account each day if you do not prepaid it.

It would be shown on their bill or listed on the account (shown on the TV in the stateroom).

However, technically, after your cruise - especially if you are going to use a credit card.

Not paying by cash/to settle the payment on the last day.

Either ways, the DSC charge still have to pay to NCL.

Unless fill out the form after the cruise, which is another story.

Sorry for my original nearly answer but I thought you were trying to start up another tipping debate.

Maniacal Cruiser -

Anyone would know that it added on the on board account each day if you do not prepay it.

It would be shown on their bill or listed on the account (shown on the TV in the stateroom).

However, technically, after your cruise - especially if you are going to use a credit card.

Not paying by cash/to settle the payment on the last day.

Either ways, the DSC charge still have to pay to NCL.

Unless fill out the form after the cruise, which is another story.

Apparently not since I quoted "The DSC is required to be paid - either prepaid or after your cruise." You either pre-pay it or pay it while you cruise. There is no option to pay it after you cruise.

Btw the NCL statement about tips service charges etc is totally different to MSC who we usually travel with!

24e0856a595a9debfa41b9d499da0f95.jpg

We are doing our first NCL at end of September and it is interesting what the service will be like.

Also we have booked the NCL Cruise from the U.K. site and our price INCLUDES service charges and the daily service charge.

Btw the NCL statement about tips service charges etc is totally different to MSC who we usually travel with!

24e0856a595a9debfa41b9d499da0f95.jpg

We are doing our first NCL at end of September and it is interesting what the service will be like.

Also we have booked the NCL Cruise from the U.K. site and our price INCLUDES service charges and the daily service charge.

Actually NCL says almost the same thing if you read the FAQ about tips. To paraphrase 'tipping is optional' and the DSC is an 'crew incentive program to encourage crew members to work together'.

Actually NCL says almost the same thing if you read the FAQ about tips. To paraphrase 'tipping is optional' and the DSC is an 'crew incentive program to encourage crew members to work together'.

MSC do not encourage tipping but NCL do.

Thank you

Kim

Kim, all mass marketed lines now have and have had for many years a mandatory service charge and yes, it takes the place of tipping. Some of us still add a tip for outstanding service but no one should expect this. We do, usually leave about $20 for a 7 day cruise to our cabin steward if he/she has done a good job. We also will leave a buck or 2 for good bar service it we find a bar we really enjoy, but again, no one should expect this nor is it a policy. May I add, this seems like a strange question to ask, since checking your profile you have cruised many times in the past 10 years on more than one line. You certainly know the answer.