Restrictions in St. Petersburg

stevenr597

I nearly got into trouble upon arriving back at the pier in St. Petersburg after a tour. The tour bus stopped some distance from where tourists were to re-enter the terminal building. We were closer to the front entrance of the building. I went into the building through the closer, more convenient entrance. A policeman stopped me and, I thought rather rudely, told me that I had to go back out and go in the "correct" way. Another officer, a woman who must have been his Superior, told him to allow me to proceed to security and "back off". I thanked her and went on my way.

I was glad that I was able to visit St. Petersburg. But, with the crowds, the traffic, and the guides whose English left something to be desired at times: I won't be back.

The company that manages the SPB Port is "affiliated" with 5 of the local companies---all of the ones that the Cruiselines use. I think I read that there are around 120 local companies that are approved to pick up passengers in the terminal. I read that there was gridlock getting buses and vans in for everyone so only the "5" companies are allowed in to pick up first then they let in the rest, based on the rules that the Port Authority has implemented. If I can find the article again I will link it. We are going with TJ in August and from what I can see they have adjusted the schedule to do half of the city tour the first day and the other half be starting a half hour earlier the second. I don't think we will miss a thing.

I nearly got into trouble upon arriving back at the pier in St. Petersburg after a tour. The tour bus stopped some distance from where tourists were to re-enter the terminal building. We were closer to the front entrance of the building. I went into the building through the closer, more convenient entrance. A policeman stopped me and, I thought rather rudely, told me that I had to go back out and go in the "correct" way. Another officer, a woman who must have been his Superior, told him to allow me to proceed to security and "back off". I thanked her and went on my way.

I was glad that I was able to visit St. Petersburg. But, with the crowds, the traffic, and the guides whose English left something to be desired at times: I won't be back.

A good guide (which makes all the difference) would have given you a totally different experience

We were amazed at the knowledge our SPB tour guide had. Took us to Faberge museum and she knew so much about each egg' date=' what was in it, why is was made, etc. An 18 year old tour guide could never have the knowledge ours has..[/quote'].

I'm not surprised that your SPB tour guide was so knowledgeable. Our Alla tour guide with all that experience confided to us that she had gone through all the bureaucratic hoops to get her own agency the next season. Her agency is SPB.

From the thread, it seems it is not only passengers on Princess who are affected. Unless something is going on between the cruise lines and the Russian authorities, why would they discriminate against the local tour guides?

Cruise lines hire local tour companies for their excursions. No "discrimination." Its much more probably that the Russian government wants an increased percentage of the tour fee and is forcing this on the companies providing non-ship contracted tours.