“The Hump”

On 6/16/2018 at 8:41 PM, captainannoyed! said:

Classic 'Hump' cabins can be seen on the Radiance class. This is really where the difference started and kinda ended.

To fully understand, look at the deck plans for the Radiance of the Seas, deck 8. Now look at the curve at the middle of the ship and find cabin 8088. You can clearly see the balcony is about 2.5 times the size of a 'regular' balcony. I have had this exact cabin on both the Radiance and the Brilliance. Personally, I LOVE having that extra personal space. I live alone, and am used to more personal space than most people. So that is a huge motivator for me.

Now, there are people that have issues with noise from the bordering inner centrum-especially with bands playing at night. Fair point. There is some noise from the centrum. But if you like the night life, as I happen to, then you are probably getting back to the cabin later that the bands play in the centrum anyway. It never bothered me, because I tend to stay out late at night.

So in the end it's really up to you and if that compromise is ok with you then 'Hump' cabins can really be something great. I love them and have the cabin 7094 (8088 on deck 7 essentially) for my next cruise.

After the Radiance class, 'Hump' cabins never had the deep balconies again. Check the deck plans. This design feature is never repeated. Instead, cabins are shifted and balconies are maintained at relative equality. So to my opinion, the only 'Hump' cabins that are truly great are on the Radiance class.

Did you take any pictures of 7094? I have it on the serenade this Sept.  

2 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

Hi!  Yes!  I saw your other thread earlier but I was at work.  I'll share some here then go over to your other thread since that one is specific to this cabin.

good lighting.png

overhang view.png

• Like 1

On 6/16/2018 at 8:41 PM, captainannoyed! said:

Classic 'Hump' cabins can be seen on the Radiance class. This is really where the difference started and kinda ended.

To fully understand, look at the deck plans for the Radiance of the Seas, deck 8. Now look at the curve at the middle of the ship and find cabin 8088. You can clearly see the balcony is about 2.5 times the size of a 'regular' balcony. I have had this exact cabin on both the Radiance and the Brilliance. Personally, I LOVE having that extra personal space. I live alone, and am used to more personal space than most people. So that is a huge motivator for me.

Now, there are people that have issues with noise from the bordering inner centrum-especially with bands playing at night. Fair point. There is some noise from the centrum. But if you like the night life, as I happen to, then you are probably getting back to the cabin later that the bands play in the centrum anyway. It never bothered me, because I tend to stay out late at night.

So in the end it's really up to you and if that compromise is ok with you then 'Hump' cabins can really be something great. I love them and have the cabin 7094 (8088 on deck 7 essentially) for my next cruise.

After the Radiance class, 'Hump' cabins never had the deep balconies again. Check the deck plans. This design feature is never repeated. Instead, cabins are shifted and balconies are maintained at relative equality. So to my opinion, the only 'Hump' cabins that are truly great are on the Radiance class.

2 minutes ago, LadyBerard said:

Yes, those are the balcony.  Let me double check, but I don't think I took any cabin pics.  Ok just checked nothing of cabin proper.  I love the hump cabins.  The only drawback is some noise from the centrum.  But the Balcony is nearly unbeatable, especially given the central location.  Which sailing are you on>  I'm on 9/22 this year, but this time I managed to snag an aft cabin.

Edited by captainannoyed!

On 6/16/2018 at 8:50 PM, captainannoyed! said:

BUT you have to pay suite rates to get that. Hump cabins on Radiance class can be had for balcony rates (though sometimes with a minor upcharge).

Hate to annoy you Captain, but all the Oasis ships have regular balcony cabins on the hump with extra deep balconies. Look at the forward hump.

They are classified as extra large balcony, and there is an upcharge, but it's not to much. 

FWIW, most of the Radiance hump/centrum balconies are fairly normal depth.  It's just the ones on the edges that are deep.

Carry on.

Harmony Deck 7

20180923_091330.thumb.jpg.fed0d9e029a1fe2866a7d89642d8cddd.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Hate to annoy you Captain, but all the Oasis ships have regular balcony cabins on the hump with extra deep balconies. Look at the forward hump.

They are classified as extra large balcony, and there is an upcharge, but it's not to much. 

FWIW, most of the Radiance hump/centrum balconies are fairly normal depth.  It's just the ones on the edges that are deep.

Carry on.

Harmony Deck 7

20180923_091330.thumb.jpg.fed0d9e029a1fe2866a7d89642d8cddd.jpg

Not annoyed at all, lol!  But anytime I've seen a discussion on hump cabins and their balconies, the discussions about the deeper balcony cabins.  Such as we are discussing here, 7094.  It is true that there are more cabins on the hump that have regular or even smaller than regular size balconies.  People may like them for location but no one is particularly excited about the balconies - at least not that I've seen.  7094 is listed as category 1D, equal with 7090 two cabins forward.  The RCCL web site currently, and wrongly, lists the balcony as being 20 sq feet for 1D.  I dug out my most recent paper brochure for reference, and that lists the size as 53 sq feet.  The balcony on 7094 is 117 sq feet, 11.5 short side, 14.5 long side, 9ft height parallelogram.  So the cabin we are talking about has a balcony over double it's price class.

Yeah. I like that.

As far as I know this is unique to the Radiance class.  Yes, oversize balconies exist on Oasis.  Since you directed me to them I decided to check them out.  On deck 7, cabins 7194 (2C Ocean View with Large Balcony) and 7184 (4D Ocean View with Balcony) seem to be what you are referring to in your post.  Fares, as we all know. are constantly in flux on RCCL.  So exactly how much more 7194 costs for a given cruise versus 7184 really all depends upon when you book.  But you typically will pay more.  Balcony sizes are 80 sq feet and 50 sq feet.  So the increased size is more, but still significantly smaller than the difference of the cabins we were talking about on the thread.

Look, all I'm saying is that I happen to really like the Radiance class and the design features that make the class unique.  A lot of other people agree, though not everyone will agree on anything.

Carry on.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2018 at 2:42 PM, Cruzchic1967 said:

Hi. Are cabins on “the hump” good/bad? Why? Still learning cruise lingo. Thanks

We had a “forward” hump cabin on Radiance, for our Alaska cruise.

pros: balcony was deeper than a normal balcony.  The view was great.

cons: we were just off the centrum, so it got a little loud at night.  However, they started closing the door at night, and that really helped 🙂

1 hour ago, captainannoyed! said:

Not annoyed at all, lol!  But anytime I've seen a discussion on hump cabins and their balconies, the discussions about the deeper balcony cabins.  Such as we are discussing here, 7094.  It is true that there are more cabins on the hump that have regular or even smaller than regular size balconies.  People may like them for location but no one is particularly excited about the balconies - at least not that I've seen.  7094 is listed as category 1D, equal with 7090 two cabins forward.  The RCCL web site currently, and wrongly, lists the balcony as being 20 sq feet for 1D.  I dug out my most recent paper brochure for reference, and that lists the size as 53 sq feet.  The balcony on 7094 is 117 sq feet, 11.5 short side, 14.5 long side, 9ft height parallelogram.  So the cabin we are talking about has a balcony over double it's price class.

Yeah. I like that.

As far as I know this is unique to the Radiance class.  Yes, oversize balconies exist on Oasis.  Since you directed me to them I decided to check them out.  On deck 7, cabins 7194 (2C Ocean View with Large Balcony) and 7184 (4D Ocean View with Balcony) seem to be what you are referring to in your post.  Fares, as we all know. are constantly in flux on RCCL.  So exactly how much more 7194 costs for a given cruise versus 7184 really all depends upon when you book.  But you typically will pay more.  Balcony sizes are 80 sq feet and 50 sq feet.  So the increased size is more, but still significantly smaller than the difference of the cabins we were talking about on the thread.

Look, all I'm saying is that I happen to really like the Radiance class and the design features that make the class unique.  A lot of other people agree, though not everyone will agree on anything.

Carry on.

As mentioned earlier, most of the Quantum Class D1's, in the same locations as Radiance, have similar supersized balconies.

If you really want a big balcony, look at deck 7 forward and aft. Personally, I dont like them due to the half walls between cabins. Seems creepy. Also the ones in the aft cant see straight down to the water.

BTW, I see you all mention Centrum, I assuming that is the door into the main area?  We have a Jr Suite 6644 Allure on the Hump.

Since I am relatively new on this type of ship could someone please elaborate for me?

I could not figure how we were to get to our cabin through the stores etc.

5 hours ago, oddly excitered said:

We are in 9576 next year on Radiance, any experience with this cabin? looks to me like the library will block the centrum scuffle!

We had that room!  It was great!  However, at night, close the door to the library, to block the noise.  It was super noisy for us, until we discovered this trick 🙂

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

Does the hump still have overhead shade or is it exposed? I’m on the very end in 11606 on Allure. 

It is just like the other balconys, it is shaded by the balcony floor of the cabin above.  Center hump balcony are about  two feet deeper, yours is first on the hump and will be about a foot. 

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

It is just like the other balconys, it is shaded by the balcony floor of the cabin above.  Center hump balcony are about  two feet deeper, yours is first on the hump and will be about a foot. 

Thank you for answering! I know it might seem like a silly question but I’m coming from a Carnival ship where a whole floor of balconies is exposed! I certainly didn’t want to end up in an area like that.