Car rental in Fort Lauderdale

Extra Kim

Before our cruise in January we would like to rent a car at Fort Lauderdale airport and return it at Port Everglades a couple of days later. After our cruise we would like to rent a car at Port Everglades and return it at Fort Lauderdale airport. Is this possible or do we have to use the shuttles?

It would be possible if there are car rental companies that have pick up and drop off offices at both the airport and the port - you would have google to check the different rental companies for that. I'm not sure off hand any that do have locations at both and it would probably be easiest to rent and drop off at the airport. Maybe others can confirm.

The port and the airport are only 10 minutes by cab apart and that - or Uber - would probably be the easiest way to handle that short distance as needed.

Both Hertz and Budget have locations in Ft. Lauderdale with free shuttles to the port. Budget has a location that one can easily walk from as well. There are probably others, but you would have to move off CC and look at the rental car sites - unless someone here does the work for you :o

It would be possible if there are car rental companies that have pick up and drop off offices at both the airport and the port - you would have google to check the different rental companies for that. I'm not sure off hand any that do have locations at both and it would probably be easiest to rent and drop off at the airport. Maybe others can confirm.

The port and the airport are only 10 minutes by cab apart and that - or Uber - would probably be the easiest way to handle that short distance as needed.

Agreed...plus if you stay on 17th St., you don't need a car. Everything is walkable and most of the hotels have shuttles from the airport and to the cruise port.

If you look on the Florida Departures board, car rental operations in Ft Lauderdale are discussed daily. There is no car rental place within the port, so you have to get to the rental sites somehow. Shuttle is the common solution. Taxi or Uber is possible, but the off port rental sites are very close.

The easiest thing to do in FLL is to both rent and return to the airport. The distances are so close it is not worth the effort to try to rent at one and return to a different place.

Part of the thing with renting at the airport is that there are extra fees that are mandated by the airport. Returning something to the airport is a different situation.

Budget, Avis & Payless share and off-site location (very close to the piers - lots of them in Port Everglades). Budget used to have an office on 17th, but moved in with Avis, etc. Convenient.

Fly in, rent at the airport and return near the pier; rent near the pier and return to the airport.

I believe Hertz has a similar situation.

Jim

I think that we used Alamo last year but then we returned the car at Miami airport.

Our flight leaves LATE and that's why I want to return the car at the airport.

We are four adults and one baby and I don't want to use the shuttle all the way to the airport without a baby carseat (we have a carseat with us, but I don't think that it will fit on the shuttle bus).