Anyone on Zaandam Who Can Report How It's Going?

Overtime4me2

this thread is not about how to disinfect your cabin, but information from people who are on board currently....those of us sailing on monday would like to hear from current passengers on the ship situation...not a lecture on sanitation...thx! :D

Sea girl 23 & Trvlwrld:

Yes I will be looking forward to seeing if anybody responds on Monday with any more updates.

Doing my packing and last minute stuff, getting excited!

Maybe we'll meet on board somewhere. Thanks for your thoughts on this board.

Bon voyage to us on Monday!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Looking forwards to hearing peoples' experience on the Zaandam;hopefully they can speak as to what it was like. *waiting patiently*

Do you plan on posting after you board the ship?

Enjoy your cruise.

Bon Voyage.

Barbara

is no one else considering not going? we are on the july 16 sailing--so the sailing after the next--and i'm pretty sure we just won't go. we will be out many thousands of dollars, but i'd rather lose thousands than spend them to be locked in a room with the stomach flu. this seems like kind of a big deal. no?

is no one else considering not going? we are on the july 16 sailing--so the sailing after the next--and i'm pretty sure we just won't go. we will be out many thousands of dollars, but i'd rather lose thousands than spend them to be locked in a room with the stomach flu. this seems like kind of a big deal. no?

That is crazy talk! I am here now and all the procedures are back to normal. I really do think the virus has passed. Just be vigilant about washing your hands and refrain from touching too much stuff. I was able to get through this entire cruise even with the outbreak with not so much as a sniffle (and my mom who's traveling in another cabin had a cold and I was with her the whole time). I used the hand sanitizer, I washed my hands, and I touched things like the elevator buttons with the back of my knuckle, Used my forearm on the railings, etc. Canceling a cruise that is over 2 weeks away would be insanity IMO even if there still were signs of sickness on board, which there are not!

I have been more annoyed by the maintenance issues with the ice/water machines, toilet not flushing or only flushing intermittently, lack of hot water in the shower at 8 AM, etc. The ship needs to be worked on to get up to the expected standards IMO. The norovirus was the least of my complaints and I have had a fantastic cruise.

That is crazy talk! I am here now and all the procedures are back to normal. I really do think the virus has passed. Just be vigilant about washing your hands and refrain from touching too much stuff. I was able to get through this entire cruise even with the outbreak with not so much as a sniffle (and my mom who's traveling in another cabin had a cold and I was with her the whole time). I used the hand sanitizer, I washed my hands, and I touched things like the elevator buttons with the back of my knuckle, Used my forearm on the railings, etc. Canceling a cruise that is over 2 weeks away would be insanity IMO even if there still were signs of sickness on board, which there are not!

I have been more annoyed by the maintenance issues with the ice/water machines, toilet not flushing or only flushing intermittently, lack of hot water in the shower at 8 AM, etc. The ship needs to be worked on to get up to the expected standards IMO. The norovirus was the least of my complaints and I have had a fantastic cruise.

Wait--what? The toilets don't flush? Like your cabin toilet doesn't work? That's more of a deal breaker for me than illness on board (but combine the two and oh dear gods.)

Is this a widespread issue?

If it is, I feel even more certain that we should just stay home. Which is deeply sad, given the amount of money we will have wasted. :(

Wait--what? The toilets don't flush? Like your cabin toilet doesn't work? That's more of a deal breaker for me than illness on board (but combine the two and oh dear gods.)

If it is, I feel even more certain that we should just stay home. Which is deeply sad, given the amount of money we will have wasted. :(

You're joking, right?

When people flush things down the toilet that they are told not to flush down the toilet, it can cause problems with the system. Apparently this happens more during a periods or noro-outbreaks and then perhaps the personal misuse of cabin sanitation products that they also flush down the toilet. Yes, delayed flush can be an issue, but it is not necessarily a problem. Yes, you can have an occasional non-functioning toilet and the ship's technical people work on this right away.

It sounds like your now-repeated high level of concern makes is reasonable for you to carry out your Plan B and cancel. I suspect you will have a terrible time waiting for the "shoe to drop" when you should be having a great vacation.

You're joking, right?

No. How would a cruise on a ship with non-functioning toilets be anything other than a nightmare?

When people flush things down the toilet that they are told not to flush down the toilet, it can cause problems with the system. Apparently this happens more during a periods or noro-outbreaks and then perhaps the personal misuse of cabin sanitation products that they also flush down the toilet. Yes, delayed flush can be an issue, but it is not necessarily a problem. Yes, you can have an occasional non-functioning toilet and the ship's technical people work on this right away.

It sounds like your now-repeated high level of concern makes is reasonable for you to carry out your Plan B and cancel. I suspect you will have a terrible time waiting for the "shoe to drop" when you should be having a great vacation.

Full disclosure: this trip is our SECOND attempt at planning a vacation for this summer. We cancelled our first trip because I learned of the frequent, scheduled water outages on the island we were planning on visiting (for 12-24 hours at at time; we were planning on spending 20 days in three locations on this island, two of which we ran the risk of being in during said water outages. During these times, even restaurants can't function because of no sanitation.) So we canceled that and booked this cruise...and now there's norovirus and plumbing issues. :o

It just seems like the travel gods do not want us to travel this year, which makes me sad since travel is kind of my thing. But I'd rather stay home than be trapped in an inside cabin with the stomach flu and no functioning toilet. I can think of few vacation-related situations which would be less enjoyable.

Further full disclosure: I had a very rare form of cancer two years ago and underwent scary/crazy surgery to correct it (it's called 'the mother of all surgeries'--it was not fun.) I am now missing many internal organs. So the idea of a gastrointestinal virus freaks me out (and having no access to functional plumbing is a non-option for me). I understand I may be being unreasonable here, but trauma is a thing and I guess I have it. :(

Edited to add: and yes, the shoe dropping thing is apt. I honestly feel like any joy I had in even looking forward to this trip has disappeared. I went from 'oh yay second honeymoon trip in Alaska!' to 'oh great, I'm boarding a poison boat'.

No. How would a cruise on a ship with non-functioning toilets be anything other than a nightmare?

Full disclosure: this trip is our SECOND attempt at planning a vacation for this summer. We cancelled our first trip because I learned of the frequent, scheduled water outages on the island we were planning on visiting (for 12-24 hours at at time; we were planning on spending 20 days in three locations on this island, two of which we ran the risk of being in during said water outages. During these times, even restaurants can't function because of no sanitation.) So we canceled that and booked this cruise...and now there's norovirus and plumbing issues. :o

It just seems like the travel gods do not want us to travel this year, which makes me sad since travel is kind of my thing. But I'd rather stay home than be trapped in an inside cabin with the stomach flu and no functioning toilet. I can think of few vacation-related situations which would be less enjoyable.

Further full disclosure: I had a very rare form of cancer two years ago and underwent scary/crazy surgery to correct it (it's called 'the mother of all surgeries'--it was not fun.) I am now missing many internal organs. So the idea of a gastrointestinal virus freaks me out (and having no access to functional plumbing is a non-option for me). I understand I may be being unreasonable here, but trauma is a thing and I guess I have it. :(

Edited to add: and yes, the shoe dropping thing is apt. I honestly feel like any joy I had in even looking forward to this trip has disappeared. I went from 'oh yay second honeymoon trip in Alaska!' to 'oh great, I'm boarding a poison boat'.

No, it is not the travel gods. It is your choice. Calling this ship that we were on just a month ago a "poison ship" is pretty close to defamation.

1. The norovirus has been contained and you now have a completely sanitized ship to enjoy.
  2. The toilets are not "non-functioning". They were having intermittent flushing issues which would be quite normal given the type of system ships use in combination with the outbreak. You wait 30 seconds or so then push the flush button again and it works. Kind of like how you have to wait for the tank in your toilet at home to fill before you can flush again.
  3. Sorry to hear of your health crises. I understand your concerns. Try not to let them rule you or they will become self-fulfilling. I've learned to expect that all will be well and, in the end, that's what happens. Don't stop enjoying life based on something that may never happen.

I don't worry about Noro;take the usual precautions and I've been(incredibly) lucky.

However,I would be thinking about the pros and cons of certain things,especially with health issues in the mix;it's not just toilets on the ship that are a worry;in some countries the toilet situation isn't ideal;not trying to talk anyone out of it but it's definitely something to think about.

1. The norovirus has been contained and you now have a completely sanitized ship to enjoy.
  2. The toilets are not "non-functioning". They were having intermittent flushing issues which would be quite normal given the type of system ships use in combination with the outbreak. You wait 30 seconds or so then push the flush button again and it works. Kind of like how you have to wait for the tank in your toilet at home to fill before you can flush again.
  3. Sorry to hear of your health crises. I understand your concerns. Try not to let them rule you or they will become self-fulfilling. I've learned to expect that all will be well and, in the end, that's what happens. Don't stop enjoying life based on something that may never happen.

Thank you for the clarification regarding the flushing 'issues'. That seems entirely reasonable and not at all what I was imagining. Thanks!!!!

And yeah. It's been a struggle, the health issues thing. I'm trying to walk the line between 'this is ruling me/ruining my life' and 'this is a wise and reasonable decision to make in order to stay healthy'. It's not as fine a line as I'm making it seem I'm certain. It's just hard to re-learn how to be in the world. I'm still figuring out my real limitations vs. my paranoia.

Hi! We are on the Vaandam. We didn’t really know there was a problem with Noro until we got to our first port in Ketchikan when we were told by the people working in the shops that were were in a “Red Zone” and they were using and selling Purell like crazy! When we boarded the ship that day there were letters in each cabin and the captain did an announcement regarding the situation. The crew has done an amazing job above and beyond their normal work- everything including walls were bleached while we were in port. There were crew members stationed at each entrance to the food areas ensuring that everyone used the sanitizer or used the hand wash machines ( these are soooo cool).

In the dining room, the servers gave out the rolls and butter and we used individual packets of salt and pepper as well as sugar type items. On lido deck they switched out the serving utensils every 30 minutes.

Overall, it was not that bad-and I actually preferred some of the changes! The crew has been amazing and we have had a fabulous trip! The only disappointment was missing Victoria today...

Have fun!

We're getting on Zaandam next Monday and just wondering how the GI illness/Noro is doing? Not too worried, but would like to hear from someone actually on the ship.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Edited by Lovemypuggle
Spelling

I have seen nor have I heard heard of any issues concerning toilets! There are probably a few individual issues not anything that should warrant you needing to cancel! This trip has been a complete pleasure and wish we had a few more days!!!!

I mentioned the intermittent flushing. It has been happening in my room 2704, for several days (since Homer) and also in my parents' cabin 6224, but less often. Flushed nothing other than the TP I swear! ;) Even though it is a bit annoying, it's not a deal breaker by any means. Has created more jokes than anything. Even if I had a health issue I wouldn't cancel over that or the norovirus, etc. You can catch that at your local Walmart or any other public place, for crying out loud. Just follow good hygiene practices and you will have an awesome cruise!

I mentioned the intermittent flushing. It has been happening in my room 2704, for several days (since Homer) and also in my parents' cabin 6224, but less often. Flushed nothing other than the TP I swear! ;) Even though it is a bit annoying, it's not a deal breaker by any means. Has created more jokes than anything. Even if I had a health issue I wouldn't cancel over that or the norovirus, etc. You can catch that at your local Walmart or any other public place, for crying out loud. Just follow good hygiene practices and you will have an awesome cruise!

As I understand the plumbing system, the "clog" doesn't necessarily happen in your cabin but could result because of something your neighboring cabins did. The system is interconnected. That is why everyone needs to be meticulous in what goes into the toilets.

Disembarked the Zaandam today July 2. Lots of people very sick the past two weeks. We embarked on a Monday, on Tuesday evening after dinner we noticed the crew sanitizing the stateroom doors and handles on the main deck. I thought, this is a problem one day in on a 14 day sailing. Every day we witnessed the stateroom inspector and two stewards sanitizing staterooms on our hallway, with masks and plastic coveralls, plastic bagging towels and linens. Captains letter stated that someone brought the GI onboard this cruise. The GI was already on this ship. CDC said 58 guests, I think way more were and are still sick. Update " Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 95 of 1,472 (6.45%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 18 of 591 (3.05%)

Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea "

Edited by wishbone0221

We were also on the Zaandam, luckily did not get sick, although we saw masked, gloved and aproned crew going in to clean several cabins near us. Talked to a few people who had it: duration was 1 day of illness, 1 day to recuperate/very tired. I heard someone saying it was food poisoning, but one of the couples who had it - one 'caught' it from the other, 3 days later.

The cruise director and naturalist were sick the first day we arrived, Captain coughing so much he couldn't give the muster speech, and asst cruise director visible on the 1st night, but didn't see him on the second night. Maybe the illness was already on board?

Off topic, but we'll be on the Zaandam in August and I'd like to know if they added bedside electric/usb outlets in the....cheap rooms? We booked an inside and I like to sleep with a small fan near my face. The battery operated one I have never goes more than 4 hours, but it has a USB cord that I can plug use.

Thanks!