Unlimited drinks free!

susan1957

Unlimited "FREE' drinks ...PERK....over $250.00 SERVICE CHARGE....are you SERIOUS...how does free fit in here.....What a JOKE....I understand they have to charge the taxes but what is this....like 60% of the actual cost of the drink card? WOW

Unlimited "FREE' drinks ...PERK....over $250.00 SERVICE CHARGE....are you SERIOUS...how does free fit in here.....What a JOKE!

Here we go again. When you get a free meal at a restaurant, you still tip the waiter, right? it is 17 bucks a day for open bar. Take it or leave it.

I didn't understand what the service charge was for but then it was explained to me that covers the tax and gratuities to the bartenders. That's under $20 a day - still a great deal. I still plan to tip a little extra for really good service.

Unlimited "FREE' drinks ...PERK....over $250.00 SERVICE CHARGE....are you SERIOUS...how does free fit in here.....What a JOKE....I understand they have to charge the taxes but what is this....like 60% of the actual cost of the drink card? WOW

It’s 20% not 60 lol. It’s the service charge or gratuity or whatever you want to call it. Still a great deal if you are a drinker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is literally discussed every day on these boards. The alcohol package is roughly $1,500 (including gratuity) for two adults for a 7-night cruise if you paid for it out of pocket. The package is free, they have you pay gratuities equal to 20% of the retail cost of the package to cover tips to the bar staff. You don’t have to take it if you don’t want to. For us, it comes out way cheaper than booking any other cruise line and buying a package.

1. Don't take the UBP promo so you don't have to pay the 20% service charge.
  2. Order your drinks a la carte and you will pay a 20% service charge per drink.
  3. See if you end up paying more than $17.80 per day for drinks.

If your total is more than $17.80 per person per day, you should have taken the promo. If your total is less than $17.80 per person per day, you made the right choice.

Drinks are free, service charge/gratuity is not. BTW, it is 20%, not 60% of the actual cost of the package.

Wondering, what other cruise lines offer a drink package as a perk as often as NCL does? I'd much rather pay the 20% service charge/gratuity then having to pay for the entire program.

Drinks are free, service charge/gratuity is not. BTW, it is 20%, not 60% of the actual cost of the package.

Wondering, what other cruise lines offer a drink package as a perk as often as NCL does? I'd much rather pay the 20% service charge/gratuity then having to pay for the entire program.

Celebrity offers the Classic Beverage package regularly.

Celebrity offers the Classic Beverage package regularly.

I've compared that package, it's not a bad package...I've yet to see a Celebrity rate that compares favorably to NCL....it's really a different experience, based on my older (65+) neighbors, they love it.

This is literally discussed every day on these boards. The alcohol package is roughly $1,500 (including gratuity) for two adults for a 7-night cruise if you paid for it out of pocket. The package is free, they have you pay gratuities equal to 20% of the retail cost of the package to cover tips to the bar staff. You don’t have to take it if you don’t want to. For us, it comes out way cheaper than booking any other cruise line and buying a package.

Celebrity offers it for free on a regular basis

MSC is also offering a free drink package

The other cruise lines that don't have a free cruise package offer it for about 1/2 what it costs on NCL. Many times it's cheaper to buy a drink package on another cruise line than going on NCL with the free package.

I've compared that package, it's not a bad package...I've yet to see a Celebrity rate that compares favorably to NCL....it's really a different experience, based on my older (65+) neighbors, they love it.

Really? In many cases Celebrity comes out ahead of NCL.

For example:

Aug 12th sailing on NCL Getaway (Miami):

Balcony room for 2 with drink & dining package = $2,796 + daily gratuities

Aug 11th sailing on Celebrity Equinox (Miami):

Balcony Veranda room for 2 with deluxe drink package, $150 OBC per person, Unlimited high speed internet, and paid gratuities = $2,791 (gratuities included)

For example:

Balcony Veranda room for 2 with deluxe drink package, $150 OBC per person, Unlimited high speed internet, and paid gratuities = $2,791 (gratuities included)

It's still not my kind of ship...but if you like it, book it. This entire thread started because someone stated they were paying 60% of the cost of the package in service charges.....and I took the bait. Shame on me.

• NUMBER OF GUESTS2 guests
  • DEPARTURE DATESAugust 12 - 19, 2018Sunday - Sunday
  • STATEROOM TYPEBalcony
  • STATEROOM CATEGORYcat_B4_GETAWAY.gif Family Balcony
  • YOUR OFFERSUnlimited Open Bar + Specialty Dining

Summary of Charges

• TOTAL 2 GUESTS

$2,198.00

• CHOICE PROMO SRVC CHRG

$276.80

• GOV'T TAXES, FEES & PORT EXPENSES

$321.98

TOTAL

$2,796.78

Looks pretty comparable to me. Choices are good.

Edited by PTC DAWG

It's still not my kind of ship...but if you like it, book it.

I was addressing your statement in regards to the rates, not the experience. In many cases (a majority) NCL is more expensive then MSC and Celebrity with drinks included.

Those that keep saying "oh but it's only 20% for free drinks" are the ones that have very little comprehension of pricing strategies and overall cost. You don't just pay 20% for your drink package, you have to pay a much higher base fare (can't select a sail away rate) which is usually $150-250 higher per person...so add on that cost to that 20% you pay as well.

For example:

Comes to show it's good to shop around. Sometimes Norwegian will be the cheaper option sometimes it will not. I have no preference and book based on date, itinerary, and then price.

I was addressing your statement in regards to the rates, not the experience. In many cases (a majority) NCL is more expensive then MSC and Celebrity with drinks included.

Those that keep saying "oh but it's only 20% for free drinks" are the ones that have very little comprehension of pricing strategies and overall cost. You don't just pay 20% for your drink package, you have to pay a much higher base fare (can't select a sail away rate) which is usually $150-250 higher per person...so add on that cost to that 20% you pay as well.

I posted the Getaway fare...right from the website..they almost look exactly the same. I think the Cruise Lines know this...I know they watch one another's rates...I'm quite sure RCL and NCL etc. have folks that watch this daily....we seem to agree, choices are good...and this debate keeps the board moving for sure.

Side note, is Celebrity tied in with Royal? Their websites work almost exactly the same.

For those that don't drink, etc..the Sailaway rate can be a real steal....but you can't specify your cabin..some don't care, it would bother me...

It’s 20% not 60 lol. It’s the service charge or gratuity or whatever you want to call it. Still a great deal if you are a drinker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if you aren't a big drinker, it makes sense. Well unless all you drink is water, coffee, tea or any of the non-soda options.

OK...my bad.... I get it now...NCL drink package is 750.00 for 7 days...where Carnival is $418.00 all in...:confused: carnival is 15% ...NCL is 20%...:confused: wonder who gets my vote...:'):'):')

OK...my bad.... I get it now...NCL drink package is 750.00 for 7 days...where Carnival is $418.00 all in...:confused: carnival is 15% ...NCL is 20%...:confused: wonder who gets my vote...:'):'):')

No I don't think you get it at all, but carry on.

I posted the Getaway fare...right from the website..they almost look exactly the same. I think the Cruise Lines know this...I know they watch one another's rates...I'm quite sure RCL and NCL etc. have folks that watch this daily....we seem to agree, choices are good...and this debate keeps the board moving for sure.

Side note, is Celebrity tied in with Royal? Their websites work almost exactly the same.

For those that don't drink, etc..the Sailaway rate can be a real steal....but you can't specify your cabin..some don't care, it would bother me...

Celebrity is part of RCL. Just as Princess is part of Carnival. They’re the 2 “higher end” lines for those corporations.

Celebrity is part of RCL. Just as Princess is part of Carnival. They’re the 2 “higher end” lines for those corporations.
\

Thanks for the info...I just looked it up, I knew the websites were very similar. Makes sense.

NCL has such a high price on heir drink package not because it costs them more, but because by inflating the price of the beverage package it also raises the amount of $$$ they get from the “service charge” on the so called free perk they offer.

20% on $723 equals a much higher $$$ amount than 20% on $400. And since NCL pockets the majority of that amount then they use it as a form of revenue. Only a small percentage actually goes as gratuities to the workers and even then its classified as “performance incentives”.

Celebrity offers it for free on a regular basis

MSC is also offering a free drink package

The other cruise lines that don't have a free cruise package offer it for about 1/2 what it costs on NCL. Many times it's cheaper to buy a drink package on another cruise line than going on NCL with the free package.

Sure, if you want to go to bed at 10 PM, sail Celebrity. If you like terrible service and food, sail MSC.

I personally prefer NCL and Royal. Luckily for all of us there are different cruise lines that offer different experiences.