What's the craft beer situation like on Royal these days?

NOPE - at least not on Anthem. Had I purchased the drink package I would have been unhappy. At least the poor selection helped me keep my cost down. Not craft, per se, but no Sam Adams and only the pub had Guinness. I was talking to one of the staff about the poor selection and he made a funny comment that the crew bar has much better options.

I've never really been happy with the onboard beer selection. Then again, I've never gone thirsty on a cruise either.

I still wonder why the can't get a couple of kegs of local craft beer from somewhere near the departure port.

I've never really been happy with the onboard beer selection. Then again, I've never gone thirsty on a cruise either.

I still wonder why the can't get a couple of kegs of local craft beer from somewhere near the departure port.

Had a long chat with a beverage manager about this very issue. I get it. A couple of kegs wouldn't cut it and most craft breweries couldn't keep up with the demand. He was actually promoting an onboard brewery with his bosses. That was probably three years ago and I haven't seen it yet.

Had a long chat with a beverage manager about this very issue. I get it. A couple of kegs wouldn't cut it and most craft breweries couldn't keep up with the demand. He was actually promoting an onboard brewery with his bosses. That was probably three years ago and I haven't seen it yet.

Other cruise lines seem to have no problem stocking craft beer.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2120

On my last Oasis cruise, it was nonexistent. They did have some decent imports but very few American craft beers.

On our last cruise on Adventure of the Seas from San Juan they had Dogfish Head 90 minute and Stone IPA. Not a great selection but at least better than the regular light beers on board. They only had it in the pub. Had to ask for it.

A couple of kegs wouldn't cut it and most craft breweries couldn't keep up with the demand. He was actually promoting an onboard brewery with his bosses.

That's ridiculous, plenty of craft breweries can keep enough production going to distribute across their region, there's no reason they couldn't keep a cruise shop supplied. The more likely answer is that RCI has a contract with macrobrewers that excludes craft beers, and RCI wants it fleet wide rather than only on a couple of ships.

Saying that I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years we start seeing the AB owned "craft" breweries representes on board.

And I doubt an on board microbrewery would be feasible due to the complexities of alcohol taxes in the various ports.

I know Princess carried a couple Alaskan Brewery beers on our Alaska cruise, so it's certainly possible, and I'd love it if they all carried something local/regional. That said, the poster that said they've never gone thirsty hit the nail on the head; most cruisers don't care and most of those who do don't care enough to make it a factor in who they cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Other cruise lines seem to have no problem stocking craft beer.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2120

On my last Oasis cruise, it was nonexistent. They did have some decent imports but very few American craft beers.

You can find some of those brews on a Royal ship too. I certainly would like to see an improvement but lets not forget we're in the minority here. They're stocking their for Mass market drinkers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's all about cost. It's way cheaper to stock a smaller amount of beer brand varieties that most people drink than a large variety of smaller brands that some people won't buy. Not everyone is fond of IPA's. I like what Carnival did with the onboard micro brewery. I think that will be a big success for them. The whole gimmick of being brewed onboard is a great idea and RCI might want to take a look at that. Here's a good story on it and again RCI needs to take notice! https://www.craftbeer.com/featured-brewery/red-frog-cruise-ship-craft-brewery

They did have some decent imports but very few American craft beers.

That's something I always found interesting - the "imports" are less expensive on board than the American domestics.:confused:

It's all about cost. It's way cheaper to stock a smaller amount of beer brand varieties that most people drink than a large variety of smaller brands that some people won't buy. Not everyone is fond of IPA's. I like what Carnival did with the onboard micro brewery. I think that will be a big success for them. The whole gimmick of being brewed onboard is a great idea and RCI might want to take a look at that. Here's a good story on it and again RCI needs to take notice! https://www.craftbeer.com/featured-brewery/red-frog-cruise-ship-craft-brewery

I have been brewing my own beers and ales for decades and have one question concerning brewing on a ship.

The water, equipment and all the needed ingredients pose no problem, however the constant movement of the ship might. The fermenting process would be fine with a gentle movement and even a few days of bumping around, however the clarification or settling that brings the TRUB or natural yeast and sediment to the bottom of the fermenting or secondary aging tank might be affected. No problem if you were happy with cloudy brews, but for a crystal clear end product they may have to use filtration and then artificial carbonation similar to what the mass commercial brewers use.

Just a thought, and in any case I satisfy myself with the best I can find on board.

bosco

It's all about cost. It's way cheaper to stock a smaller amount of beer brand varieties that most people drink than a large variety of smaller brands that some people won't buy. Not everyone is fond of IPA's.

My favorite beer on Oasis is a German heffeweizen, Paulaner. It as only available at one bar, and I never saw anyone else drinking it onboard, and it's hard to find in bars in the US.

So using the cost/scale argument, that pretty much shoots that theory out of the water.

Royal Caribbean craft beer selection is inferior at best. Celebrity actually has a pretty decent selection. Dogfish, Sierra Nevada, Lagunitis, Stone. I drank a large amount of Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin on Celebrity Equinox in March.

NCL Bliss looks to have a above average Beer bar. Might be my next cruise

My favorite beer on Oasis is a German heffeweizen, Paulaner. It as only available at one bar, and I never saw anyone else drinking it onboard, and it's hard to find in bars in the US.

So using the cost/scale argument, that pretty much shoots that theory out of the water.

Because you've never seen it that shoots that theory out of the water? :confused:

I'm a huge craft beer > liquor guy on land, but I'm not going to get the most bang for my drink package buck that way so cocktails for the entire week. The fact that craft options don't exist anyway just makes it that much easier

Another in that style is Franziskaner. I have found that on a few cruises where Paulaner was not stocked.

bosco

For many years they had Sierra Nevada and/or Sam Adams at most bars on board. In March after boarding Serenade I asked for one at the pool bar and was told they no longer have it and to check at the pub on deck 6. I did not buy a single drink at any of the pool bars after that. The pub had the usual menu as on other ships with pubs except it did have a few Florida brewed beers on special that were at least decent. I am glad I didn’t get the drink package. I ended up saving a lot of money that RCI could have gotten from me on my 21 night B2B.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you all for the input! I'll check in at the promenade pub and see what's available.

I think this will end up going on my comment card at the end of the trip. I drink very little mass market beer and I think that's pretty typical of my demographic, so I'm actually less likely to buy beer on the cruise. Although as someone else said, with all the wine and mixed drinks I'm sure we won't go thirsty ;)

Royal Caribbean craft beer selection is inferior at best. Celebrity actually has a pretty decent selection. Dogfish, Sierra Nevada, Lagunitis, Stone. I drank a large amount of Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin on Celebrity Equinox in March.

NCL Bliss looks to have a above average Beer bar. Might be my next cruise

I just sailed NCL Escape and they have "The District" which is a well above average beer bar for a cruise ship. I mean, it's not great by local standards, but they had to have around 50 or so craft beer options including some local Miami stuff (which is the volume local craft beer but still).

If that is a big deal for you, NCL really does a good job with it all things considered. The District also has some munchies and live music in the evenings plus a great view.

My partner is exactly the same. He found Longhammer in the pub on Navigator that he was ok to drink. It was $8.50 a small bottle and without a drinks package this would made for an expensive cruise! It does make me think Royal have no incentive to stock more expensive beers when most passengers are on packages. That would be a real shame. Craft beer is really taking off in the UK.

Tip: We found going to the specialty restaurants and asking the bars there if they had anything different sometimes works. On Celebrity Eclipse's Sushi restaurant they had a wonderful Japanese IPA and we happy for him to pop in and get one there without dining whilst on their drinks package.

My partner is exactly the same. He found Longhammer in the pub on Navigator that he was ok to drink. It was $8.50 a small bottle and without a drinks package this would made for an expensive cruise! It does make me think Royal have no incentive to stock more expensive beers when most passengers are on packages. That would be a real shame. Craft beer is really taking off in the UK.

Tip: We found going to the specialty restaurants and asking the bars there if they had anything different sometimes works. On Celebrity Eclipse's Sushi restaurant they had a wonderful Japanese IPA and we happy for him to pop in and get one there without dining whilst on their drinks package.

I don't think it has anything to do with people being on packages. NCL has a ton of craft options and I would bet a much higher percentage of guests on packages than Royal. I just dont' think Royal believes it's a big seller.