What's the craft beer situation like on Royal these days?

Getting on the Grandeur in a few weeks. Anyone know if their bars at least have Guinness? Otherwise I guess it's gonna be a week of whiskey :P

They do indeed. I get a Guinness and then a Newcastle, pour half and half and enjoy my Black Castles...

bosco

I just dont' think Royal believes it's a big seller.

They've been trying to lock in that millennial generation and if they really want to seal the deal, they're going to have to give new things a shot. As is, the under 40 demo seems to gravitate towards Carnival and NCL. Heads up Royal - in 20 years a lot of your current "loyals" aren't going to be around anymore.

They've been trying to lock in that millennial generation and if they really want to seal the deal, they're going to have to give new things a shot. As is, the under 40 demo seems to gravitate towards Carnival and NCL. Heads up Royal - in 20 years a lot of your current "loyals" aren't going to be around anymore.

I agree. And stocking a decent craft beer selection is remarkably easy, too. I see no excuse for their failure to do so. Even if it's just at the pub like NCL does with the 1 location.

Carnival has apparently been able to work around any issues.

https://www.carnival.com/fun-activities/redfrog-pub-brewery

Oh that's cool. Well hopefully RCI borrows that idea. It'd be neat to see them take inspiration from their history, ports and crew members; part of craft beer's allure to me is the sense of place it can create.

I totally agree...that's my demographic and craft beer is what we drink, not bud light. I'm happy to stick with wine as an alternative, but what inspired this thread was talking to a friend about the cruise and her asking what kind of beer was available. I might suggest she look into Norwegian since so many people are mentioning it.

I also wish RCI had a wider variety of craft. As reference, here's the beer list from Harmony's Boot & Bonnet pub on the Dec 23, 2017 sailing:1e26549f8e4494356e9c348ee7de035a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

That's just embarrassing in 2018.

That's just embarrassing in 2018.
Yep. I did ask about the secret stash of Dogfish Head 90 minute, but they weren't stocked with it for that sailing. And the scheduled "beer tasting" event listed in the cruise compass was just sad. The selected beers were Kingfisher, Paulaner Salvator, Bass, Hoegaarden, and Stone IPA. Needed minimum of five for the tasting. Only three including myself showed up, so they cancelled it.

If RCI does indeed have a big contract with AB-Inbev as mentioned earlier, I wouldn't be shocked if they pull some from this list and replaced with Goose Island, Wicked Weed, and Elysian.

If RCI does indeed have a big contract with AB-Inbev as mentioned earlier, I wouldn't be shocked if they pull some from this list and replaced with Goose Island, Wicked Weed, and Elysian.

Ahhh, so THAT's why Elysian has been all over Florida lately. I've never seen or heard of it until earlier this year. I didn't know they were owned by AB. I must say, I did enjoy the Spacedust IPA.

Ahhh, so THAT's why Elysian has been all over Florida lately. I've never seen or heard of it until earlier this year. I didn't know they were owned by AB. I must say, I did enjoy the Spacedust IPA.

You would be surprised by how many craft breweries have been snatched up. Even Funky Buddha recently sold to constellation (Corona).

You would be surprised by how many craft breweries have been snatched up. Even Funky Buddha recently sold to constellation (Corona).

I heard Cigar City was acquired a few years ago as well. Not sure by whom. Hell, that being said, Royal should have all of this stuff onboard, right? :')

I heard Cigar City was acquired a few years ago as well. Not sure by whom. Hell, that being said, Royal should have all of this stuff onboard, right? :')

Cigar City joined up with the Canarchy Group. Which is made up of Oskar Blues, Cigar City, Deep Ellum, Perrin Brewing, Squatters Beer and Wasatch Brewery. There's an investment company backing them. The biggest change with joining them is that brewing is spread out among the different breweries. So Cigar City Jai Alai might be brewed in North Carolina.

And AB thinks craft beers are for savoring like expensive wine, they don't realize that they're drank like every other beer. Which is probably why they haven't pushed RCI to take them aboard, same reason you don't really see them at sporting events.

Call 911,The RC snobs on here are having heart attacks!!!:D

If expecting a beer selection up to par with Carnival makes one a snob, then yeah, I guess I'm a snob.

I guess I need to cruise that fancy Carnival cruise line. :rolleyes:

On the Oasis in January, found only Stone IPA and Sierra Nevada Pale. Only available at the Globe bar.

Yes Carnival is getting more local craft, depending on the port. In Fl that's mostly Cigar City, but the Vista did have JDubs Sea Cow and one of the Saltwater brews and Angel City from Los Angeles, but I think it was brewed at Florida Brewing in Orlando which contracts out to several places to brew their beers.

If Leffe is fresh, it can be a pretty good substitute on RCL.

If expecting a beer selection up to par with Carnival makes one a snob, then yeah, I guess I'm a snob.

I guess I need to cruise that fancy Carnival cruise line. :rolleyes:

Almost one thousand post in seven months,keep up the good work!!:rolleyes:

My favorite beer on Oasis is a German heffeweizen, Paulaner. It as only available at one bar, and I never saw anyone else drinking it onboard, and it's hard to find in bars in the US.

So using the cost/scale argument, that pretty much shoots that theory out of the water.

They had, and we drank, Paulaner on the Enchantment of the Seas when we last sailed her in September.

On the Oasis in January, found only Stone IPA and Sierra Nevada Pale. Only available at the Globe bar.

Yes Carnival is getting more local craft, depending on the port. In Fl that's mostly Cigar City, but the Vista did have JDubs Sea Cow and one of the Saltwater brews and Angel City from Los Angeles, but I think it was brewed at Florida Brewing in Orlando which contracts out to several places to brew their beers.

If Leffe is fresh, it can be a pretty good substitute on RCL.

Sea Cow IS the Saltwater brew. ;)

While it may be a bit of a hassle, cruise (pun intended) around the ship on day one and check out all of the bars. I have found that different venues sometimes carry different items. On my recent cruise to Alaska, I found 3 Alaskan Brewery beers in the windjammer. I stopped at another bar and they didn't have it. Same for booze. Only one bar carried my favorite bourbon.

Just turned 53 have few yrs left on me but my Daughter 27 is a Diamond+ she earned herself, takes her kids. They do/have changed. I started on Royal 30+ yrs ago, cruisers were called the Newlywed and Nearly Dead. But even then was 50 couples my age(22). Now they have best of all worlds, young, old, singles, families. Mid-80's ships had 600-1200 passengers, now....and they still sail Full. Been since right after 9/11 last time sailed with many empty cabins...