Could TA Group Rates account for this?

Toofarfromthesea

I'm researching a February 2020 Caribbean cruise on Equinox. I used the site that allows various TAs to quote on the cruise/cabin/perks you want. In my request I specified an Ocean View.

Most of the quotes I got were useless, as the quoting agency didn't bother to read what I was looking for (Go Best) and gave me Go Better prices.

But one TA gave me a quote on the things I specified and the price was about $3,400 (cat. 07) which was similar to what I had found on my own. But he added that he could make an alternate offer on a Balcony cabin (cat 2c), also including the Go Best package for about $2,800. Which seemed strange to me because, as Jane Austen would have said, 'it is a truth universally acknowledged that a Balcony is a better cabin than an Oceanview'.

I sent the TA an email asking about it and am awaiting a reply, but I got to thinking about how this could be. The only thing I could think of was that the agency (a big one) had a block of rooms on a group rate, but only had blocked balconies, not oceanviews. So the balcony rate was a group rate while the Oceanview rate was just the regular cruise line rate.

But my question here is whether that is even plausible - that group rates can be that much lower than a straight up rate for a lower class of cabin?

Yes, sounds like the agency (most likely part of a consortium) has blocked "open promotional" group space that is significantly lower than the prevailing individual rates. TA group blocks are combinable with all Celebrity national promotions like Summer of Savings and GoBest. Many of the big consortiums will lock in group rates before cruises even go on sale to the public. As the February 2020 cruises have been on sale since last October/November in some cases it is not surprising that current rates are higher, especially considering the price hikes Celebrity seems to be going for in 2019/20.

Also bear in mind that the Equinox (and the Solstice class ships as a whole) have far more balcony rooms that oceanview rooms. It is not uncommon for the 2C/2D rooms to be offered at the same price as the category 07 rooms.

I'd book it while you can!

Yes, sounds like the agency (most likely part of a consortium) has blocked "open promotional" group space that is significantly lower than the prevailing individual rates. TA group blocks are combinable with all Celebrity national promotions like Summer of Savings and GoBest. Many of the big consortiums will lock in group rates before cruises even go on sale to the public. As the February 2020 cruises have been on sale since last October/November in some cases it is not surprising that current rates are higher, especially considering the price hikes Celebrity seems to be going for in 2019/20.

Also bear in mind that the Equinox (and the Solstice class ships as a whole) have far more balcony rooms that oceanview rooms. It is not uncommon for the 2C/2D rooms to be offered at the same price as the category 07 rooms.

I'd book it while you can!

That is the plan, if I get the right answers to my questions. If this is legit I even have a waiver from my wife's rule that we can't have more than 3 futures cruises booked at a time.

That is the plan, if I get the right answers to my questions. If this is legit I even have a waiver from my wife's rule that we can't have more than 3 futures cruises booked at a time.

Just be aware of any fees that the TA may charge for changing the reservation (including price drops), cancellations, etc.

Steve

I'm researching a February 2020 Caribbean cruise on Equinox. I used the site that allows various TAs to quote on the cruise/cabin/perks you want. In my request I specified an Ocean View.

Most of the quotes I got were useless, as the quoting agency didn't bother to read what I was looking for (Go Best) and gave me Go Better prices.

But one TA gave me a quote on the things I specified and the price was about $3,400 (cat. 07) which was similar to what I had found on my own. But he added that he could make an alternate offer on a Balcony cabin (cat 2c), also including the Go Best package for about $2,800. Which seemed strange to me because, as Jane Austen would have said, 'it is a truth universally acknowledged that a Balcony is a better cabin than an Oceanview'.

I sent the TA an email asking about it and am awaiting a reply, but I got to thinking about how this could be. The only thing I could think of was that the agency (a big one) had a block of rooms on a group rate, but only had blocked balconies, not oceanviews. So the balcony rate was a group rate while the Oceanview rate was just the regular cruise line rate.

But my question here is whether that is even plausible - that group rates can be that much lower than a straight up rate for a lower class of cabin?

Yes, it can be... through a TA.

bon voyage

Also check out the TA, we booked a B2B with a TA who responded to our request for a quote. Checked them out all seemed good- fast forward the customer service was horrible, lost many nights sleep, had to get Celebrity to intercede and in the end it cost us just over $2k to salvage our B2B.

Just be aware of any fees that the TA may charge for changing the reservation (including price drops), cancellations, etc.

Steve

If it works out as stated, I think the $600 p.p. savings plus moving up from “Better” to “Best” will more than offset any change fees the TAA might charge. I think you can forget about missing out on price drops as pricing is based on Celebrity’s price and the perks offered with the new price.

Steve

These are the questions I asked in my email (I simplified my OP - I am pricing 2 cruises as a B2B.)

1) I was surprised that the quote for the Oceanview (cat. 07) was $3,391/$3,473 for the consecutive cruises, but you could offer a Balcony (2C) for $2,661/$2,718. And I gather from your response that these all are 'Go Best' rates that include the Celebrity 300 OBC, gratuities, premium bev, unlimited internet perks. If that is correct I have to ask how is it possible that the Balcony is less than the Oceanview.

2) Your quote also mentioned a booking incentive of 'up to' $500. Up to means that is the most. Would a Balcony booking qualify for the full 500? And am I correct in assuming that is for each cruise?

3) Since we would be doing this as a B2B am I correct in assuming it is no problem, booking this early, to get the same room on both of the cruises?

4) Would there be any advantage to looking at 2 earlier dates? It looks like these cruises run every week from 1/11 through the end of February, and we are flexible on dates.

5) please tell me what the deposit requirements would-be for the 2 cruises, what the refundability is of the deposit, and what fees, if any, your agency charges beyond Celebrity's fees

--------------

Did I miss anything important?

Your email seems reasonable and well thought out.

There are MANY instances (with multiple cruise lines) due to supply/demand, group contracts, etc where balcony pricing is lower than an oceanview. Happens quite a bit on the RCCL Oasis class vessels. Heck, I've even seen balcony rooms for less than interior rooms on occasion. As stated before the rates you are being quoted are most likely from group contracts established 7-10 months ago. Those prices ar guaranteed up to a contracted date, for a contracted number of rooms in specific categories. Obviously the current rates for rooms outside of the group allocation are higher than when that contract was established.

There are MANY instances (with multiple cruise lines) due to supply/demand, group contracts, etc where balcony pricing is lower than an oceanview. Happens quite a bit on the RCCL Oasis class vessels. Heck, I've even seen balcony rooms for less than interior rooms on occasion. As stated before the rates you are being quoted are most likely from group contracts established 7-10 months ago. Those prices ar guaranteed up to a contracted date, for a contracted number of rooms in specific categories. Obviously the current rates for rooms outside of the group allocation are higher than when that contract was established.

Thanks, I appreciate the second set of eyes.

Are you a TA?

Just to update, apparently if something sounds too good . . .

In the response to my questions he said the low rates did include the Go Best promotion but they are no longer available. I don't know if this was just legitimate bad timing or some kind of bait and switch but his quote on the Oceanview cabin was nothing special compared to other quotes I got so I just passed.

Just to update, apparently if something sounds too good . . .

In the response to my questions he said the low rates did include the Go Best promotion but they are no longer available. I don't know if this was just legitimate bad timing or some kind of bait and switch but his quote on the Oceanview cabin was nothing special compared to other quotes I got so I just passed.

The group rates with go BEST are approximately $60 less per person than non-group rates. same amenities apply.

the 2C group pricing is currently about $50 less per person than the O7.

Steve

The group rates with go BEST are approximately $60 less per person than non-group rates. same amenities apply.

the 2C group pricing is currently about $50 less per person than the O7.

Steve

Unless there's a fire sail going on for this cruise, the pricing doesn't sound right. We've had the good fortune a getting group rates for balconys, and the savings were in the $200-$300 p.p. range. The discount a TA gets is based on the number of rooms they reserve, 100 rooms will get a bigger percentage than say 50.