Contemplating Med cruise-some questions

Cruiser1862

We would like to take a trip next summer to Italy, using a tour like Travalgar. Now started to think perhaps a European cruise would be a better option. Some concerns and questions:

1. Of course price. The cruise does not include extra costs such as gratuities (although we’d wait to book when that is offered) and the excursions. Going to 4 ports we’d want to do the excursions to get the most of our limited time in each port

2. Airfare to Europe. With the tours they put that together for you, but how expensive are the fares with EZfare? I’ve always driven to the ports. Looking online the fares are very expensive

I’ve been trying to research whether it’s cost effective. Thank you. Any feedback and opinions are appreciated.

Yes, airfares to Europe are very expensive.

We have been working on accruing as many miles as we can, thinking about our first cruise/visit to Eastern Med. (Italy and Greece). And, to fly that far, I will require good seats that are at least 'COMFORT'... better than main cabin. So, yes, costly!!!!

We hope to use miles, and also want to have control over these flights.. So, I haven't looked at EZ-Air. I hear some post that they get good rates, but I don't think it would probably be THAT much of a discount???

I almost wondered about a cheaper land-tour plus air package and, if that would be able to coincide with a cruise. The consolidated price might not a whole lot more than independent air-far alone???? I had just happened to notice a listing from Globus. I do not know what Travalgar offers. It is too far out to tell, for us, but it doesn't look like Globus has a tour that coincides with our cruise dates.

Have you explored the ships and itineraries that you might want.

We are actually looking at a HAL sailing, later next year, because of the itinerary and the new-build ship.

We will have sailed on three Princess ships.

Happy planning!!!

It depends what cities you'll be visiting. If you want to do inland then you want to do a land tour. Also, with a land tour, you'll probably be able to stay a minimum of two nights in major cities.

It is not hard to arrange private tours off the ship in Greece and Italy.

As for using miles for flying, we do that all the time. If I don't have enough for business class, I'll get main cabin coach, and then pay to upgrade to premium economy. So far that's work for us.

As for easier EZ Air pricing, yes in general I do feel the pricing is very good. and having the flexibility to hold a flight and pricing to me is worth a lot.

We would like to take a trip next summer to Italy, using a tour like Travalgar. Now started to think perhaps a European cruise would be a better option. Some concerns and questions:

1. Of course price. The cruise does not include extra costs such as gratuities (although we’d wait to book when that is offered) and the excursions. Going to 4 ports we’d want to do the excursions to get the most of our limited time in each port

2. Airfare to Europe. With the tours they put that together for you, but how expensive are the fares with EZfare? I’ve always driven to the ports. Looking online the fares are very expensive

I’ve been trying to research whether it’s cost effective. Thank you. Any feedback and opinions are appreciated.

Waiting for a "sale" isn't always cost effective. We are booked for the Search for the Northern Lights cruise in October of 2019. We booked in in April of this year - about 1.5 years in advance. Princess has had a couple of "sales" promos lately. The Landmark Sale which would have given us $1,000 OBC and now the Sip + Sail promo that would give us the beverage package. If we had waited for these promotions we would be paying a lot more that we paid. The $1,000 OBC would have cost us $1,200 more for the cabin. Same with the Sip + Sail promo. Raising the price of the cabin by $500 per person and then offering perks isn't really a sale for us. We booked at $3,549 per person. That's $295.75 per person per day (12 day cruise) before taxes, insurance, etc. The current pricing for the cheapest balcony is $4,149 per person. That's $345.75 per person per day - again that's before taxes, insurance, etc. I thought the original price was steep for 12 days but the new "sale" price is even more crazy.

[

You can search the cruise you want on the Princess.com web site. Besides fares there is information regarding ship's tours and current cost. Don't forget the insurance and transfers. We normally arrive a few days early to tour the embarkation city. If you do that don't forget the hotel and dining expenses. They can be high in Europe. Currently summer 2019 Europe sailing have the Sip&Sail promo with refundable deposit. If you see what you like, book it. If a better promo is offered this fall you can always change it. Don't count on free gratuities that promo may or may not happen.

Look at any on line air site and you can get an idea of the RT air fares. Princess EZ Air is in the same ball park. One advantage of EZ Air is that you normally can book flexible fares for the same or lower than non-flexible ones. You can't actually book the air until you book the cruise. You do this yourself in the cruise personlizer, no need for the T.A. for air. If you are from North America air fares are an added expense. Don't forget you will require a passport.

See above.

We booked at $3,549 per person. That's $295.75 per person per day (12 day cruise) before taxes, insurance, etc. The current pricing for the cheapest balcony is $4,149 per person. That's $345.75 per person per day - again that's before taxes, insurance, etc. I thought the original price was steep for 12 days but the new "sale" price is even more crazy.
Why are you paying such a crazy price? Is it really worth that much?

I am amazed how much more Princess typically charges for balcony over an inside. It seems to be worth it for many people so great for them.

Would rather pay less for inside and go on an extra cruise here and there

I just wanted to second what the one person said, that it doesn't always pay to 'wait' for a sale.

You can get the cabin you want, have something locked in... Then if there are any Promotions or Price Drops that come along that you want to take advantage, you can do that. JUST BE SURE IT IS A REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT. HAL, especially, is tricky with that lately.

Again, happy planning!

Going on our second Mediterranean cruise next month- really the best thing you can do is decide what you really need to see and figure out if it really works for you. Many ports are far from the big cities. For example for Rome most ships dock in Civitavecchia which is a good 1 1/2 hours each way to Rome so it's really hard to see or do more then one or two things in Rome from a ship. If you really want to see Rome you should spend some time there before or after the cruise. If however you have already been there or are happy seeing less it can be a great way to get a feeling of what places you might like to come back and spend more time in. To save money on the airfare you can fly into a big airport in the country you are traveling from and take a train to the port city (Our upcoming cruise sails from Marseille but flying into Paris and taking the train to Marseilles was way cheaper, plus we are taking a few days to enjoy Paris)!

Thank you for all your replies. We’re in the very early stages of planning this and have so much to first research.

I do agree about pricing and specials. When we planned our last cruise we got a great deal. Free gratuities, OBC, specialty dining. The price just kept going up every time we checked it even without all the extras we got. We plan on putting money down for a future cruise on our Caribbean cruise this fall.

We have used FF miles in past and will have to start accruing points so that we can hopefully keep the flight at a decent rate. I heard EZair is a good deal so was wondering what a price was for that to compare.

Something fun to look forward to!

You can go to the Princess web site and look up a hypothetical cruise, then do a "flight quote" on EZ Air provided that your return date is no more than 330 days away. Yes, rates will vary somewhat by time of year, but this will give you an idea of what the rates are now. One big advantage of EZ Air is that after you book, you can keep checking fares and refare your flights if the cost drops. I did this twice for our upcoming cruise. EZ Air seems to get the best savings on international trips, particularly if you are interested in business class. The kicker is that no one can give you an exact rate until you have identified your cruise and are within the appropriate time frame.

As to choosing a cabin....always book a cabin where you can be satisfied, even if it isn't exactly what you want. If the cruise isn't selling well, you might get an upsell or upgrade to a much nicer cabin, but you can't count on it. There may be a $1000 difference between an inside and balcony cabin now...and you may be offered an upsell for $199 per person. Or you may not be offered an upsell at all and will be cruising in an inside cabin. It just depends on how the cruise is selling and how lucky you are. The upsell/upgrade fairy does have a tendency to land on first or second time cruisers, but again, it is a matter of luck.

As to deciding on a cabin...people are of two minds on Med cruises. They are port intensive, meaning that you won't spend a lot of time in your cabin. It will be hot, meaning that it may be too warm for a balcony. On the other hand, the weather may be lovely and you might love hanging out on your balcony rather than going to public outdoor spaces.

People who want a specific cruise and cabin will often book that cruise as soon as it becomes available regardless of the price, understanding that very often the price will come down and/or benefits will be added prior to final payment. We booked the Mediterranean cruise we took last month (Club Class Mini) about 18 months in advance. By the time final payment rolled around, we ended up getting the cabin for the same price as a regular mini with a savings of about $3,400 for two based upon our original booking. Is it gamble, yes, but using an FCC or very low down payment to initially book greatly reduces that gamble.

Looking at pricing for European land tours I often find that on a per day basis they are more expensive than a Med cruise on Princess, at least for balconies and lower type cabins.

I also find that land tours often do not include around 50% of the meals and that there is often free time during which optional excursions are offered. Land tours usually do not have any or just have minimal entertainment provided. And most land tours also do not include the suggested gratuities for your bus driver and tour guide.

And if you are flying to Europe, you need to pay the air fare whether it is a cruise or a land tour. For trans-Atlantic flights EZAir is usually significantly less than what you can book directly with an airline. You can check EZAir pricing on the Princess web site without having actually booked a cruise.

One big advantage of a cruise: Upack just once when you embark onto the ship and pack just once the last evening.

If on a cruise, join the Cruise Critic roll call and see if anyone is organizing private excursions. These can cost less and cover more than Princess excursions.

Having said all that, you need to look at what the itineraries are for both land and sea trips and decide which would be of more interest to you.

Be sure you are comparing apples to apples when calculating the cost/day. In effect, what you are really booking is a number of nights. On Princess a ten day cruise means 10 nights on the ship. On land tours a 10 day tour can mean only eight nights (Day 1: Fly from home to Europe; Day 2: Arrive and that evening meet your group. Day 10: Fly home. On Princess that Day 1 would not be included in the count, nor would that Day 10.)

When going to Europe it is very important to think about what you wish to see/do there. The large cities are very rich in what they have to offer. For most of them you could easily spend a week in each and not see everything!

It is quite different than ports in the Caribbean where you might go to a beach to relax!

IF you want to really "see" Italy I'd do it on land.

IF you want an overview than a cruise might be a good idea.

The idea of going early and staying in your arrival city for a few days before the cruise might also work. It really depends on the type of travel you enjoy.

IF you book First Class/Business airfare with Ez air they will ticket it before you complete paying and you can pick seats. You can get price drops (if they occur) and you can change your mind and cancel the air if you decide to do that too. It is a no lose situation.

As someone who has taken quite a few mediteranian cruises as well as transatlantic - each trip I checked with a variety of airlines as well as ezair and in every case ezair was so much cheaper. Also, ezair allows flexible fares which means if airline fares drop you can change your reservation at no. Additional cost. Further, booking for overseas with ezair, princess guarantees to get you there if flights are cancelled or any other reason.

This year we booked a long transatlantic with ezair. The cruise had dropped about 100. Each. We had paid 435. Each to fly U.S. and return from ft.lauderdale. We thought it was a great price.

Well when the cruise price had dropped I went to ezair about the airfare (and what I am writing is not normal to happen and it is absolutely true) the fare dropped to $188. Each. We rebooked everything and lost nothing. We still have not made final payment as it isn’t due yet.

:):):)

We have done 12+ cruises in Europe and the Mediterranean over the past 40 years. We always book in advance, book our own air, hotels and private transfers. On average these trips run around $12,000 for 2, mini suite category cabin, for all expenses. Some times we use miles to book air if we have miles. When you book directly you are in control of our bookings. Find something you like, that you can afford and just go for it - you will not regret it.

We too debated over land tours vs cruise in Europe. The cost of the cruise ended up far less than a land tour of the same length. We booked early and re-fared for significant savings. (we did travel in the fall both times so I not sure if this would apply to summer savings) We ended up cruising both times. The first cruise we did a balcony because thats what we usually do in the Caribbean, however on the second cruise, being so port intensive in Europe we ended up with an inside near the back of the ship where we could walk up two flights of stairs and have access to a large "balcony area" (Horizon Terrace) with a bar !!

The first one (Island Princess) we flew to Rome arranged for pick up and stayed in the historic centre, transferred next day to Civitaveccia, ended the cruise in Venice. We then stayed two nights and took the train back to Rome for an additional 3 nights, where we had a chance to take small group tours around Rome.

This worked so well that we returned the Mediterranean two years later, this time flew to Paris for three days/two nights, flew to Rome and went direct to Civitaveccia and spent the night. This cruise ended in Barcelona where we stayed for two nights.

We've found this combination of cruise with independent stays before and after has worked great for us and we are planning on doing the same for the British Isles in the near future.

Happy planning....

Depending on where you live, it might be worth checking out nearby airports as well as your home airport. I just did a fare check for a spring 2019 cruise. From my home airport, it was $1200 and up with 2 layovers. For a higher fare, I could get one layover. From my daughter's home airport, it was $733 and up with one layover. With that price difference, I could easily travel to her home and we'd fly together from there.

• 2 weeks later...