RCCL vs. NCL Cruise Costs: Not Happy

wdsted

Symphony = Biggest, newest and best ship, less than six months old. Commands a high price, naturally.

Current price = $2,662 with $100 OBC for cabin you described. $800+ cheaper than what you quoted. I know prices fluctuate, but I watch them, and they didn't drop that much overnight. ;)

AABAgQIECBAIBIQXhG0GQIECBAgQICA8PIDBAgQIECAAIFI4AGWTQHsHvDGLAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Just checked and if you read ALL comparisons I made which was a Spa Balcony(outside) to Central Park ( inside) . And the Symphony is 3,200.00 as of this morning.

Then do the add-ons which I stated . The value is still with NCL.

Just checked and if you read ALL comparisons I made which was a Spa Balcony(outside) to Central Park ( inside) . And the Symphony is 3,200.00 as of this morning.

Then do the add-ons which I stated . The value is still with NCL.

Sometimes the value is with NCL, sometimes it's with Royal, sometimes it's with Carnival. It all depends a great deal on when you are booking and for what time of the year you are booking. Since my Anthem cruise is half of what a comparable cruise on Escape would cost I would say the value is with Royal for that cruise (and I could probably add the drink package and dining package to my Anthem sailing and still come out ahead). It definitely pays to comparison shop.

Sometimes the value is with NCL, sometimes it's with Royal, sometimes it's with Carnival. It all depends a great deal on when you are booking and for what time of the year you are booking. Since my Anthem cruise is half of what a comparable cruise on Escape would cost I would say the value is with Royal for that cruise (and I could probably add the drink package and dining package to my Anthem sailing and still come out ahead). It definitely pays to comparison shop.

And thats why I gave a specific Date of my cruise, that another questioned, in my comparison.

I do plenty of research before choosing a vacation always

comparing exact timeframe and cruise lines Carnival, NCL, and RCCI.

Enjoy all cruises it's just NCL fits all our wants/needs. Last cruise was on Carnival ( again fit timeframe/itinerary) but we paid quite a bit more for it.

Edited by beerman2

Last Sept., we sailed on NCL Dawn out of Boston to Bermuda in an inside midship cabin. Cost, including the gratuities for the beverage package, came to about $2200 for the two of us. This September, we are booked in a mid ship ocean view cabin on RCI Serenade of the Seas out of Boston to Bermuda, and we purchased the deluxe beverage package. Cost came to about $1900. Royal Caribbean is not always more expensive.

It's amusing when a lot of people (and I do it too) expect cruises to be priced according to the value of what they offer. Rather, the cruise line offers an "experience" that is unique to the date (lots of kids or not), itinerary, sailing port and ship, and then prices at whatever it will take to fill the ship at greatest profit (based upon their computer models). Of course the trick is to find the experience that you will like at the lowest price - we got our next cabin at a great "group" rate from our (big) TA that beat any other price I could find by about $500/pp, including NCL, and we got perks for the category too. Personally I think $2000 per person for a balcony cabin 7 day cruise months ahead of the final payment date is a crazy price, but if the boat is close to selling out I guess NCL can do that.

One reason that cruise lines can get away with this is that the "experience" is often difficult to objectively compare beyond the itinerary, let alone subjectively compare food, shows and service. Most lines have a way to let those who what to "game" the system from status perks, unpublished requests you can make (robes, etc), cabin choices and pricing specials that once figured out, amounts to a way to increase brand loyalty. Compare this to the price matching by airlines for that squeezed in seat in the back of economy - in most cases prices for those on the mainline carriers are just about the same.

But if all you want is to compare prices for a certain itinerary with all your alcoholic drinks included, you can do that figuring out the all-in pricing., which is almost never the price initially displayed. Trying to factor in any other things becomes a distraction. But it is fun to debate whose apples vs oranges are better.

It’s also the time you book the cruise and the supply and demand. I’m guessing most people want to be on a brand new ship during its inaugural season, so the prices are higher. I also agree that the Breakaway Class doesn’t compare to RCLs Oasis Class ships. The best comparison for the Breakaway Class is RCLs Freedom Class. The Oasis Class is in a league of its own.

He/she compared Jade to Jewel of the Seas and Jewel of the Seas is not a very new and big ship. I haven't cruised on Jewel of the Seas but I visited her when the was in Stockholm a few years ago and I really think that Norwegian Jade is a better ship.

I have sailed both. A number of times. And they are very comparable ships. Some things a little better on Jade, some things a little better on JOTS.

The value is never with Carnival, IMHO....

Carnival is the only one of the "big 3" lines I haven't sailed. Reason being is that every sailing I've looked at, Royal and NCL are always cheaper. So it's hard for me to justify paying MORE for a line that most deem as inferior (which I suspect isn't true). I only sail out of Port Canaveral so maybe the situation is different at other ports, but I've yet to find Carnival offering a cheaper option.

Sorry...error.

I would not mind paying somewhat more for Getaway/Breakaway (not for the
) than for the closest comparable RCI ship (Anthem).

I prefer NCL for the

, better food (specialty restaurants is the only way [emoji4] to cruise on NCL).

Unfortunately, the pools are too small for the number of passengers.

Another thing (not measureable though): best NCL ships have spirit (NCL is improving their ships), while RCI has not (they are cutting the experience to squeeze more money).

Sent from my iPad using Forums