Another very early arrival for the Escape into New York

bob brown

Just happened to see on the webcam, the Escape is now docking. I have seen this very early arrival more and more....

I know that they do it sometimes because of an urgent medical case, but it seems to be happening more frequently.

Anyone else notice this, and have any idea why this is?

I was on the Escape recently, and it docked around the hour of 4 AM......rumor has it that there was a death of a passenger while in Bermuda, not sure if there was a body on board and that being the reason for early docking, but I did think that we arrived earlier than planned.

Gem was back in NY early from it's NE/Canada run the night before too.

But, looking at live webcam this morning & again just now, they are still coming put & crossing 12th Ave for ground transportation.

BTW, safe travel & happy Fourth, and stay cool with this heat wave.

Sent via Moto G(6) on Project Fi/T-Mobile using Tapatalk

I believe that a lot of this is due to tides. When the tide is ebbing, combined with the river current, turning into the Manhattan piers is difficult.

I hadn't thought of that, thanks.

I have also noticed that some other ships coming into Manhattan lately, that normally dock themselves, have had one or two tug assists. Probably the wind factored into that, as well.

• 5 months later...
11 minutes ago, bob brown said:

Brought this old thread back, because it looks like the Escape is coming in early again.  Real early this time...like maybe 10 hours early?:classic_unsure:

According to passenger onboard it is because of a medical emergency and forecasted inclement weather.

Tracking the Escape too & noticed her speed & ETA earlier ... credits go to fellow CC'er - silverc243 - on the Roll Call for the indirect reporting/relayed info.  Apparently, there's an onboard medical emergency & therefore ... ship expected to come in by 22:00 to dock for patient transfer, but, passengers will remain onboard/disembark in the morning.  

Meanwhile, NYC-OEM and ConEd, etc. has issued travel advisory, anticipating heavy rainful & flash flooding, possible power outages, etc. during the busiest travel period this weekend ahead of the holiday.  

Yeah I was talking to someone on the ship who said they are not aloud off until 8am, even though they are at port now. I assume that is a customs thing? But it's good that they got in before the storm, as the forecast is saying 60 mph winds, ughhh

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:18 AM, chengkp75 said:

I believe that a lot of this is due to tides. When the tide is ebbing, combined with the river current, turning into the Manhattan piers is difficult.

Just off the Escape and during the technical Q&A the captain mentioned that the NY port was one of the most difficult, also mentioning that there is little clearance or room for error with the bow approaching the roadway area.

On 12/21/2018 at 8:29 PM, cathi007 said:

So did you all have an awesome cruise?? I sail on her in just 28 days. My first time on the Escape. I am looking forward to heart from you all. Welcome home 🙂

If she is anything like the Breakaway (she is, just a bit taller), you should have an awesome time.   The 14 day January cruises attract plenty of fun loving people, many repeater's, and especially the solo's....:classic_smile:

On 7/1/2018 at 3:15 AM, bob brown said:

Just happened to see on the webcam, the Escape is now docking. I have seen this very early arrival more and more....

I know that they do it sometimes because of an urgent medical case, but it seems to be happening more frequently.

Anyone else notice this, and have any idea why this is?

Off Gem Saturday...docking was to be 8AM...we were in the Hudson at 4:30 AM...and docked about 3 hours early.  

9 minutes ago, jaja said:

Off Gem Saturday...docking was to be 8AM...we were in the Hudson at 4:30 AM...and docked about 3 hours early.  

My friend was on your cruise, she said it was a bit rocky...probably they wanted to get in a little earlier?

On 12/23/2018 at 12:06 AM, bob brown said:

If she is anything like the Breakaway (she is, just a bit taller), you should have an awesome time.   The 14 day January cruises attract plenty of fun loving people, many repeater's, and especially the solo's....:classic_smile:

True about the fun loving!:classic_wink:

• Like 1