What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

CCHelp

1 minute ago, shelbyg19 said:

We just had our offer accepted the other day, about 25 days out from sailing!  We got the spa mini suite for $150 pp from a BD angled balcony.

congrats! That seems early for them to let you know. Exciting! 

1 hour ago, walke2jd said:

In the large majority of cases, they process all bids 2 days before sailing, so you likely pulled your bid right before they would have sent you a decision. 

exactly what I said that is why I pulled it, i had a great bid and the algorithm used was substandard, I am not going to play ncl games.  this is my cruise not theirs 

1 minute ago, Newleno said:

exactly what I said that is why I pulled it, i had a great bid and the algorithm used was substandard, I am not going to play ncl games.  this is my cruise not theirs 

You really don't make any sense... 

You pulled your bid before the algorithm reviewed the bids. They can't accept your "great bid" if you cancel it before they make decisions. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, walke2jd said:

You really don't make any sense... 

You pulled your bid before the algorithm reviewed the bids. They can't accept your "great bid" if you cancel it before they make decisions. 

We all got to do what we think is right, you have your opinion I have mine.  No reason to rehash exactly what I stated in other posts about this particular bid, in addition others have stated they were awarded 25 days out.  My bid was pretty good, not some rinky dink bid/hope i get a room last minute game, if ncl dont want my money they wont get it, not going to play their last minute games, not fun for me, others might think it is a blast and love the program of "winning an auction" not me.

Edited by Newleno
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, shelbyg19 said:

We just had our offer accepted the other day, about 25 days out from sailing!  We got the spa mini suite for $150 pp from a BD angled balcony.

I was going to tease and say you took the cabin I was bidding on (same bid too) but you are on Getaway and I am on Breakaway.  Congratulations!! 😀

Sailing on the Getaway on Sunday, October 28th. I just received two decline e-mails for the bids I submitted. E-mail came out at 2:12pm. We are in a mid-ship inside and I bid $135pp to upgrade to spa balcony and $100pp to upgrade to balcony. Both were in the poor range, albeit the balcony bid was higher poor range. Both declined...this means more money to spend onboard! 

• Like 1

As a followup to my previous post (#1092 on this thread) - Escape's Holloween to Bermuda 10/28/2018 sailing, NCL pretty much held up nearly all the upgrade bids until this morning, most folks on our Roll Call were still pending ... several hours ago.  H4 was one of the last, if not last, to get processed.  Still cabins available - after taking upgrade bids selectively, for Insides only, GTY at $399 p/p and Inside at $799 p/p, plus taxes/fees/expenses ... what a difference in pricing.  Rejection emails being pushed around 2 pm, per other fellow RC members. 

Now, this time - we bidded $75 p/p x 2 to go from Inside (IA - midship, Deck 13) to Oceanview w. picture window (B2 - midship, Deck 5) both sleeps only 2, don't need to worry about bumping into any upper bunk/drop-down pullman.  $125 p/p x 2 offer for Balcony, not accepted - also bidded a low & poor amount for Spa Balcony (mainly, just for fun). 

Footnote - it seemed like for NYC sailing this month, some of the upgrades were not processed & taken until the final week, almost just before the cutoff at 2 days before sailing ... could it be that NCL is changing their algorithm ?

NCL Escape - Halloween 2015 Upgrade Adv - final.jpg

Edited by mking8288

I've read 100s of responses but need a quick answer please.

We booked a cruise on Friday for 12/5.  Today I received 4 upgrade offers.  If I bid on all four, how do they decide which one to offer me?  I don't want to accept the balcony if they are going to approve my mini suite or spa balcony? Thanks for any input.

4 minutes ago, weloverunning said:

I've read 100s of responses but need a quick answer please.

We booked a cruise on Friday for 12/5.  Today I received 4 upgrade offers.  If I bid on all four, how do they decide which one to offer me?  I don't want to accept the balcony if they are going to approve my mini suite or spa balcony? Thanks for any input.

Quick quick answer - only bid a category that you’d actually want to take. Anything you bid on is fair game and once NCL accepts you can’t change your mind. 

35 minutes ago, weloverunning said:

Thanks Princess.

If we bid on mini suite spa balcony and it is rejected, do we then have a chance to bid on a spa balcony, mini suite balcony or balcony  as offered on the email?

You'll get separate decline emails for each bid if you are declined, but you won't be able to put in any new bids after. They don't send the decline emails until bidding on the sailing is closed. Definitely bid only for the rooms you really want and what you are comfortable paying for them. If you would rather get the spa mini than the spa balcony, but don't want to miss out on the balcony entirely, my advice would be to bid pretty low on the balcony and significantly higher on the mini. In the end NCL is going to accept the bid that nets them the most money. So they may still end up taking your lower bid on the balcony, but at least you won't miss out altogether.

To answer your question,  we all have no idea how they decide!!!   From what I understand, you're in the running for all that you actually bid on.  And from what I gather, you're in a similar bid situation as me.  I did not bid on everything.  I passed on the Spa Balcony bc I really like my current balcony location but did put in bids for the Spa Mini Suite and several Haven room but not all.  I am just slightly over the lowest bid on everything except the room I wanted most, where I bid a bit more. 

Unfortunately, you cannot wait until you've received an answer on one to then bid on another.  It would be awesome if it did work that way though.

We have just received THE email everyone bidding waits to receive........."You've been awarded an upgrade advantage!"

We are sailing on the Gem departing from NYC on November 15th so we are 17 days away from sail-away.  We were originally booked in a BB category balcony stateroom on Deck 10, and we will now be in an SC 2-bedroom family suite!  We were also bidding on two different Haven categories, and all of my bids were bare minimum.  I modified our bids lowering them after noticing that the minimum bids had been lowered on the upgrade advantage site roughly 10 days ago.  Everyone needs to periodically check to see if that's the case for your respective sailings.  

It's been 18 years since we've sailed in a suite; we're looking forward to it as it may be another 18 years before we're in a suite again! 😳

• Like 2

Just got our upgrade email!  We're on the Pearl on 12/9 and got upgraded from an inside IC to a BC balcony for $160pp.  The cost we would have paid to just switch was a little over $500pp.  I'm pretty pleased with my first upgrade bid.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, yerdsyerds said:

Just got our upgrade email!  We're on the Pearl on 12/9 and got upgraded from an inside IC to a BC balcony for $160pp.  The cost we would have paid to just switch was a little over $500pp.  I'm pretty pleased with my first upgrade bid.

I'm getting off the Pearl the day you set sail.  We also successfully bid to upgrade from GTY inside to balcony.  Enjoy your cruise and safe travels. 

I just received my upgrade at 5pm today for the Pearl on Dec 9.  I originally paid $999 for obstructed oceanview for 14 nights. It is now going for $1349 and I won the bid at $140 per person for a family balcony. So I paid $1139 for a family balcony that is now selling for $2349 and $200 less than my original obstructed oceanview is selling for now. 

So I saved $1210 per person on the family balcony through the bid! I am very happy indeed. 

Edited by missysworld
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, missysworld said:

I just received my upgrade at 5pm today.  I originally paid $999 for obstructed oceanview for 14 nights. It is now going for $1349 and I won the bid at $140 per person for a family balcony. So I paid $1139 for a family balcony that is now selling for $2349 and $200 less than my origin obstructed oceanview is selling for now. 

So I saved $1210 per person on the family balcony through the bid! I am very happy indeed. 

Congrats! When are you sailing?

My wife and I are sailing on the Epic on January 23.  We're still 85 days out so no upgrade offer yet, but I'm very hopeful to upgrade from our inside room.  I've been studying this thread to try to familiarize myself with the process and get an idea of what I should bid to give myself a real shot at an upgrade.

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to answer this, and I'll probably find out in a few days anyway when the offer unlocks, but I thought I'd ask a curiosity question.  

It's my understanding that when you receive an upgrade offer, you get the chance to bid on two categories above what you've booked.  In most cases, for an inside room like ours, that would mean an ocean view room and a balcony room.  However, the Epic seems different in that it doesn't have ocean view rooms.  Does that mean the upgrade offer should then move up to allow for balcony rooms and mini-suite balcony rooms?

12 minutes ago, Phaedrus78 said:

In most cases, for an inside room like ours, that would mean an ocean view room and a balcony room.  However, the Epic seems different in that it doesn't have ocean view rooms.  Does that mean the upgrade offer should then move up to allow for balcony rooms and mini-suite balcony rooms?

Yes. On the Epic inside rooms can bid up to balconies and mini-suites.

5 minutes ago, Norovirus595 said:

Shoulda kept the angled balcony

I thought the same thing, but didn't say anything. It's really up to the poster whether the bigger bathroom and saving $50 pp (since spa pass outright is $200) is worth giving up the angled balcony. I personally LOVE the angled balconies, so would have just payed the $200 per person for spa access. The larger bathroom doesn't really do anything for me. But everyone has their own motivations and priorities, so I am happy the poster is happy with their upgrade.