Ultimate Beverage Package-Free Perk

First time on NCL, doing Breakaway in December. Chose the Ultimate Package as our free perk. Is it all drinks under $15 are free or are there exceptions? Can you get bottles of water and cans of soda on your package? Is there a place(s) to get free specialty coffees during the day, ie, espresso, lattes, etc. Thank you!

I was looking into this "free" option last night and it appears that they also add on the 20% gratuity (about $130 for a 7 night cruise) as a service charge to the bill.

Sent from a handheld device with more computing power than the space shuttle.*

This has never been discussed here, ever...fascinating topic.

lol.

To the OP, yes, there is a service charge that you have to pay up front, for gratuities, that comes to about $17 a day, or the price of two drinks. If you only have one drink a day, it's not worth it, otherwise, it is.

lol.

To the OP, yes, there is a service charge that you have to pay up front, for gratuities, that comes to about $17 a day, or the price of two drinks. If you only have one drink a day, it's not worth it, otherwise, it is.

The OP didn't inquire at all about the gratuities or if it's worth it. The question was simply about what is included.

Yes to water, and coffee like everyone else. No to bottled water and specialty coffee. Yes to soda, not aware of any cans available. When they increased the allowance from $12 to $15 they took away many options, including mid level liquors and upgraded wine by the glass. All beers are covered.

Here's an overview of the changes.

in 2016, Norwegian “enhanced” their drink package from $12per drink to $15 per drink, but the new drink package has been anything but anenhancement, it has actually been somewhat of a disappointment in a few areas.

Several enjoyable mid-range wines were removed from the “bythe glass” wine list, because Norwegian doesn’t want to pay the slightly highercost associated with their new $15 “benefit”. The only wines remaining by theglass are very low entry level wines. Norwegian doesn’t even offer a list of“upgrades” or “higher priced” wines by the glass, even if you were interestedin paying a few dollars more per glass. RC by contract, boasts a substantiallylarger wine list by the glass within their $12/$13 allowance, and approximatelytwenty upscale wines at a higher cost per glass

In the area of bourbons, we also saw a major cutback. A Manhattan made with Makers Mark was $11.95in 2016 prior to the change in the drink package and was covered completely bythe $12 drink package allowance. At that time Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve and few other bourbons were $1-3more per drink, very reasonable. Today, after the new $15 drink package“enhancement”, the only bourbon available that’s “included” in the drinkpackage is very low end bulleit bourbon. The new price for a Makers Mark Manhattan on Norwegian is $18.95, higherthan most restaurants in Manhattan NY charge.

When it comes to bringing unopened bottles of wine on board,they want to confiscate your bottles and charge you a $15 corkage fee even ifyou have the drink package. Ridiculous.

Norwegian now has the highest cost drink package in theindustry, with the lowest value in the industry; particularly for wine drinkers.

Yes to water, and coffee like everyone else. No to bottled water and specialty coffee. Yes to soda, not aware of any cans available. When they increased the allowance from $12 to $15 they took away many options, including mid level liquors and upgraded wine by the glass. All beers are covered.

in 2016, Norwegian “enhanced” their drink package from $12per drink to $15 per drink, but the new drink package has been anything but anenhancement, it has actually been somewhat of a disappointment in a few areas.

Several enjoyable mid-range wines were removed from the “bythe glass” wine list, because Norwegian doesn’t want to pay the slightly highercost associated with their new $15 “benefit”. The only wines remaining by theglass are very low entry level wines. Norwegian doesn’t even offer a list of“upgrades” or “higher priced” wines by the glass, even if you were interestedin paying a few dollars more per glass. RC by contract, boasts a substantiallylarger wine list by the glass within their $12/$13 allowance, and approximatelytwenty upscale wines at a higher cost per glass

In the area of bourbons, we also saw a major cutback. A Manhattan made with Makers Mark was $11.95in 2016 prior to the change in the drink package and was covered completely bythe $12 drink package allowance. At that time Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve and few other bourbons were $1-3more per drink, very reasonable. Today, after the new $15 drink package“enhancement”, the only bourbon available that’s “included” in the drinkpackage is very low end bulleit bourbon. The new price for a Makers Mark Manhattan on Norwegian is $18.95, higherthan most restaurants in Manhattan NY charge.

When it comes to bringing unopened bottles of wine on board,they want to confiscate your bottles and charge you a $15 corkage fee even ifyou have the drink package. Ridiculous.

Norwegian now has the highest cost drink package in theindustry, with the lowest value in the industry; particularly for wine drinkers.

I would comment that it doesn't matter how much the booze package is to buy when you choose it as a perk and pay about $17/day for the service charge and that everybody who drinks on a cruise takes that perk and that makes it a great value for those who do opt in, but that simple observation would draw another 30 responses.

So I’m guessing you won’t be cruising on Norwegian any more??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You cannot get bottled water on the ship with the drink package? I was just trying to see, if you used it as a perk, what can you get? So NCL doesn't have just a regular coffee bar that's included versus you're regular, usually bad, buffet coffee. Or, you can't get an espresso/cappucino with dinner. Thank you, and I apologize to those I bothered by beating a dead horse.

My perks are free for me. I wont book if I cannot select my cabin so I cannot ever use the SailAway rate. I have to select the higher cabin fare regardless of whether or not it comes with perks. However I am happy to accept some discounted cruise excursions and Internet since that’s less money I have to spend and is free to me.

You cannot get bottled water on the ship with the drink package? I was just trying to see, if you used it as a perk, what can you get? So NCL doesn't have just a regular coffee bar that's included versus you're regular, usually bad, buffet coffee. Or, you can't get an espresso/cappucino with dinner. Thank you, and I apologize to those I bothered by beating a dead horse.

No need to apologize. Your questions are legitimate concerns. This is just the snippiest board on Cruise Critic.

NCL does not include bottled water in the drink package, although other lines do. Then NCL will charge exorbitant prices for purchased bottles. FWIW the tap water is fine-- I have never had a problem with ship tap water.

NCL does not include specialty coffee in the package either, although other lines do.

Don't choose NCL for the included drink package, it is not always the great deal it appears to be.

Way back in post #2...... right after your's..... Colin provided a link to the T&Cs that explained in detail what you get.

My perks are free for me. I wont book if I cannot select my cabin so I cannot ever use the SailAway rate. I have to select the higher cabin fare regardless of whether or not it comes with perks. However I am happy to accept some discounted cruise excursions and Internet since that’s less money I have to spend and is free to me.

I’m the same way, unlimited booze for $18 a day, biggest no brainer in the history of earth, for non teetotalers...

• 3 weeks later...

Great Points VA. It’s sad how NCL has mathmaticly positioned is better alcoholic beverages out side the $15 max. I enjoyed having Makers Mark and Woodford. We usually tip $2 extra per drink order .... now that I have to pay extra ... I am wondering if my gratuity rate will continue 😱. #NCL #Bringbackpremiumwineandliquor

On my last cruise the cans of soda were not included. It is certainly worth it, great perk.

Mike

First time on NCL, doing Breakaway in December. Chose the Ultimate Package as our free perk. Is it all drinks under $15 are free or are there exceptions? Can you get bottles of water and cans of soda on your package? Is there a place(s) to get free specialty coffees during the day, ie, espresso, lattes, etc. Thank you!

On my last cruise the cans of soda were not included. It is certainly worth it, great perk.

Mike

Is "Gun Soda" that you get at the bar included? Or can I ask; "Give me a rum and Coke and hold the rum."? :D:D:D

Take care,

Mike