Any way to upgrade VIFP quicker?

For me perks and status are one and the same. I don't think many would be interested in the titles, platinum or diamond, if they didn't have the perks attached to them.

I agree.

However, there are those ... cough cough RCCL ... who think having a different color cruise card makes them a more important person or a higher "class" person. (one of my main gripes with RCCL)

Clue: They are not :)

I agree.

However, there are those ... cough cough RCCL ... who think having a different color cruise card makes them a more important person or a higher "class" person. (one of my main gripes with RCCL)

There are more than a few Carnival cruisers that act that way too. Ever read some of the letters that John Heald gets and posts on his FB page? And, I've experienced it first hand. On our most recent cruise, while my wife and I were at the buffet getting our food, a woman cut in front of me rather than wait her turn in line. I spoke up and said "Excuse me! You have to wait your turn in line just like everyone else." She replied "I'm Platinum and have been on 16 cruises." Before she said anything further, she realized that the people behind us were glaring at her too. Without saying another word, she turned around and walked away.

Edited by beachbum53

There are more than a few Carnival cruisers that act that way too. Ever read some of the letters that John Heald gets and posts on his FB page?

Yup, I have seen those. Thankfully it is a LOT less frequent than with the RCCL passengers. :)

An example of the difference between buying a perk and buying status for the perk. Some say how they have spent thousands to obtain status that grants perks, I suggest it is cheaper to just pay for the perks if you don't care about status.

If you are only going to cruise once or twice, yes. Over the long haul it is not cheaper to purchase fttf time and time again. I paid the same prices for my cruises that I would have paid even if Carnival did not have VIFP. Furthermore, I did not cruise primarily with Carnival in order to get my perks. They are simply that, perks, and cost me nothing extra. I would have booked the same number of cruises with Carnival, perks or no perks. Therefore, they cost me nothing. Thanks for explaining your question. I wasn't being snarky. I simply didn't grasp what you were getting at. Happy cruising! :)

I agree.

Those folks obviously have low self esteem issues, regardless of cruise line.

Have you ever seen it denied?

I haven’t and it’s been that way for as long as I remember. It’s even printed on the VIFP letter you get in your cabin. If you want to get technical, the first cabin access isn’t listed in the T&C that BlerkOne referred to in a previous thread either yet we all know that it is still a perk for Diamond and Platinum cruisers.

What’s more important to you....free laundry at 75 days or free drinks for 3 hours at 80 days? LOL
I don't drink, so... But actually neither is all that important to me. Being able to drop bags off at my room as soon as I board is another story. That's pretty nice. :-)

I agree.

Unless you are in a suite, all RCCL set sail cards are blue. However, I do meet more cruise snobs on Royal.

If you are only going to cruise once or twice, yes. Over the long haul it is not cheaper to purchase fttf time and time again. I paid the same prices for my cruises that I would have paid even if Carnival did not have VIFP. Furthermore, I did not cruise primarily with Carnival in order to get my perks. They are simply that, perks, and cost me nothing extra. I would have booked the same number of cruises with Carnival, perks or no perks. Therefore, they cost me nothing. Thanks for explaining your question. I wasn't being snarky. I simply didn't grasp what you were getting at. Happy cruising! :)

You don't have to purchase FTTF time and again. Once you make Platinum, you no longer need, but you will have had some of the perks all along.

You don't have to purchase FTTF time and again. Once you make Platinum, you no longer need, but you will have had some of the perks all along.
Well, you'd have to purchase fttf eleven times, assuming seven night cruises, before reaching platinum. That's eleven times more than I purchased it. Perks are nice, but a luxury, and not required to enjoy cruising. I just realized I no longer know what point we are debating.:confused: LOL. Time to call it quits, I'd say. Happy cruising!

What’s more important to you....free laundry at 75 days or free drinks for 3 hours at 80 days? LOL

Hi

On Carnival, you do actually get 1 hr. of free drinks...at the plat/diamond party. I guess some people who enjoy getting drunk more than getting free laundry could see the benefit of 3hrs. of drinking, but for some of us a few free drinks is enough.

It's all included in the fare, so why on earth would anyone select their cruise based on the "perks" offered by the cruise line...you have already paid for what you are getting.

Hi

On Carnival, you do actually get 1 hr. of free drinks...at the plat/diamond party. I guess some people who enjoy getting drunk more than getting free laundry could see the benefit of 3hrs. of drinking, but for some of us a few free drinks is enough.

It's all included in the fare, so why on earth would anyone select their cruise based on the "perks" offered by the cruise line...you have already paid for what you are getting.

On the free drinks comparison, Carnival offers 1 party on the last night for 45 minutes to an hour. On Royal Caribbean, the Diamond lounge is available with snacks and drinks for 3 1/2 hours every day.

On the free drinks comparison, Carnival offers 1 party on the last night for 45 minutes to an hour. On Royal Caribbean, the Diamond lounge is available with snacks and drinks for 3 1/2 hours every day.

Hi

As I said, for those that like to get drunk a 3 hr. open bar sounds really great. For some of us just a few drinks is enough. By the way, the parties I have attended were an hour, and they do serve hors d'oeuvres, but more food isn't always what we need on a cruise.

Maybe 40 yrs. ago the 3 hr. open bar would have looked better :), but not today. Today I appreciate free laundry. I have only cruised with Royal 5 times (and not recently), so I wouldn't know, do they give you free laundry?

Also, as I said, the cost of those "free" perks are built into the cruise fare, just like all the other "freebies" they come up with in their promotions. By the time you get them, you have paid for them. So I ask again, why on earth would someone choose a cruise based on the "perks" offered through the rewards program?

Ok you guys really don't have this perk; but priority tendering. Get to the island & you can get off first to enjoy the fun 7 get the best spots on the beach...

I do wish Carnival gave double points when you sail in a suite.. like other lines do...

Ok you guys really don't have this perk; but priority tendering. Get to the island & you can get off first to enjoy the fun 7 get the best spots on the beach...

I do wish Carnival gave double points when you sail in a suite.. like other lines do...

Who doesn’t have Priority tendering?