My packing list. Would you add anything?

bbtbear

I couldn’t imagine taking all that! But I’m also a converted carry on only type of person. You’re not going into the wild, it’s a cruise, and then New Orleans. You can buy something if you really need. But it’s your trip, so who am I to tell you what to bring?

Did you have makeup on the list?

OP, I hope you enjoy your vacation, and I truly mean that sincerely. :)

~

Also, a polite note to other members - could you please not re-post the entire first post in your reply.... you can quote OP and just edit out what you don't need. When you hit the "Quote" button in reply but don't change anything, it just gets really looooong on the boards... when many members do this, wow... it just gets so busy. :)

• Like 1

I do like to have some toilet paper in my day bag because sometimes one runs into restrooms that are out. But usually, I just make a small roll from the bathroom in my room.

Travel first aid kits often have very tiny quantities like a couple of single use packets of antibiotic ointment. I'd take one small tube and ditch what came with the kit.

I've taken rehydration salts on one trip, but it was 3 weeks on land in China where we planned on eating street food. We wanted something along so we could replenish salts if we go a stomach bug without having to go to an emergency room. We never needed tbem. (It was 20 years ago. I probably wouldn't take it far China today.) I wouldn't bother with them on a cruise.

Sometimes, I'll change into a fresh shirt/blouse for dinner & then also wear it the next day.

I use a drawer or two for my laundry. If using a self service machine, I just stuff it into a laundry bag from the room to take it there rather than bringing a hamper.

Admittedly, I'm from the light packer side of humanity.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I notice that you have Flonase in your toiletries bag, not your carry-on. If you need it regularly, it should be in your carry-on for the plane.

I take immodium in my med kit. Sometimes, the travel change of diet upsets my digestion in a direction where that's helpful. I guess we all tend to personalize a bit for our individual suceptabilities. Like I don't take an antacid because I've never used one.

For me, the essential OTC medications are:

daily allergy pill

decongestant - psuedofed (the real stuff, not the worthless substitute)

pain/anti-inflammatory/anti-fever

immodium

benedryl (I've only very rarely needed it, but good to have on hand in case of an allergic reaction)

cough drops (the largest item, but if I get sick, I usually get a bad cough and I'm picky about them - I have something that's affective for me with acceptable flavor)

OP I second the advice to get some photos taken with your sister, they will help remind you of precious times together :)

You mention taking a power strip/adapter for the bathroom (I know you have said you won't take one with a surge protector :) ) but, as far as I know, most bathrooms only have the 2 pin 'shaver' outlets.

Great list and extremely well-thought out. You likely will not use a lot of it, but how will you know until you actually cruise? As you will be the one schlepping the bags around, you should bring whatever you think you will need.

I lost both a brother and a BIL this year so I can relate to how you were able to relieve stress. I hope you continue to heal.

Thanks so much for the support. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother and brother in law. I know just how painful that must have been. I hope you had something wonderful to look forward to as well. <3

You seem to have all your bases covered. Well thought out.

I cruise with a lot less. Out of your first 5 packing cubes, I bring oil free biodegradable sunscreen, deet, a pen, and something I didn't see there, a small flashlight.

For dining, my 7 outfits are mix & match, so I don't bring 7 full sets.

Everything I bring fits into my 21" roll on piece of luggage which I roll up to my cabin myself, and a small shoulder bag. Now that I moved close to 3 Florida ports that I can drive to, that won't change. To me, less is more.

OP: You are not going into the wilderness. If you leave about 75% of that stuff at home you will be fine, and still have too much. If you were doing a car trip and staying in a hotel how much of that would you take. A cruise is not really any different.

LOL I would take most of this to a hotel. I'd leave behind a handful of things. But this all packs into a medium suitcase and two carryons. I'd want to be prepared no matter where I went and I don't mind carrying the stuff.

Don't pay any attention to negative responses, it is you and your sister's cruises. Have a great time on your cruise and at Mardi Gras. I think you have everything, maybe some more sunscreen especially if you and your sis have a fair complexion.

I'm sorry for your losses.

Thanks so much! I do have additional sunscreen, I just have 6 of the little travel sized ones for port days, etc. :)

I couldn’t imagine taking all that! But I’m also a converted carry on only type of person. You’re not going into the wild, it’s a cruise, and then New Orleans. You can buy something if you really need. But it’s your trip, so who am I to tell you what to bring?

Did you have makeup on the list?

Thanks! I'd rather buy things in advance than have to deal with that while traveling. Luckily, most of the stuff on my list can be re-used for other trips over and over again. I do have makeup on the list. :)

OP, I hope you enjoy your vacation, and I truly mean that sincerely. :)

~

Also, a polite note to other members - could you please not re-post the entire first post in your reply.... you can quote OP and just edit out what you don't need. When you hit the "Quote" button in reply but don't change anything, it just gets really looooong on the boards... when many members do this, wow... it just gets so busy. :)

I truly and sincerely thank you. :)

I do like to have some toilet paper in my day bag because sometimes one runs into restrooms that are out. But usually, I just make a small roll from the bathroom in my room.

Travel first aid kits often have very tiny quantities like a couple of single use packets of antibiotic ointment. I'd take one small tube and ditch what came with the kit.

I've taken rehydration salts on one trip, but it was 3 weeks on land in China where we planned on eating street food. We wanted something along so we could replenish salts if we go a stomach bug without having to go to an emergency room. We never needed tbem. (It was 20 years ago. I probably wouldn't take it far China today.) I wouldn't bother with them on a cruise.

Sometimes, I'll change into a fresh shirt/blouse for dinner & then also wear it the next day.

I use a drawer or two for my laundry. If using a self service machine, I just stuff it into a laundry bag from the room to take it there rather than bringing a hamper.

Admittedly, I'm from the light packer side of humanity.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. I just pulled the roll of t.p. out of some hiking gear I already have. It's small and enclosed in plastic in case of rain.

Almost all of the medication listed is tiny, blister pack sized medicine that came with the bag. Enough to fix us up until we can get to a shop to buy more if needed. The rehydration salts came with the travel first aid kit I bought. I was going to remove the packet, but thought if we ended up with Montezuma's revenge or something, it might just come in handy. Since it's just a thin packet, I just left it in there.

I definitely think I'll be recycling clothes throughout the 2 weeks. I'd be doing laundry all the time or have to pack two or 3 times as many clothes, otherwise!

I notice that you have Flonase in your toiletries bag, not your carry-on. If you need it regularly, it should be in your carry-on for the plane. Thanks, I don't regularly use it, but it's a god send when I get a cold

I take immodium in my med kit. Sometimes, the travel change of diet upsets my digestion in a direction where that's helpful. I guess we all tend to personalize a bit for our individual suceptabilities. Like I don't take an antacid because I've never used one. Yes, there is some pepto bismol in there. :)

For me, the essential OTC medications are:

daily allergy pill

decongestant - psuedofed (the real stuff, not the worthless substitute)

pain/anti-inflammatory/anti-fever

immodium

benedryl (I've only very rarely needed it, but good to have on hand in case of an allergic reaction)

cough drops (the largest item, but if I get sick, I usually get a bad cough and I'm picky about them - I have something that's affective for me with acceptable flavor)

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback! Much appreciated!

On one of our first 3-day cruises my husband and I brought a 28-inch suitcase...each! I've learned to downsize. :p

Your list is fine (especially the reef safe sunscreen) and I think you'll have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks so much! I sure hope we do! Looking forward to it every day! (221 days to go! lol!)

OP I second the advice to get some photos taken with your sister, they will help remind you of precious times together :)

You mention taking a power strip/adapter for the bathroom (I know you have said you won't take one with a surge protector :) ) but, as far as I know, most bathrooms only have the 2 pin 'shaver' outlets.

Thanks so much! I wonder if I couldn't plug one power strip into the other and increase the # of available outlets if the bathroom outlet doesn't lend itself to supporting a power strip.

You seem to have all your bases covered. Well thought out.

I cruise with a lot less. Out of your first 5 packing cubes, I bring oil free biodegradable sunscreen, deet, a pen, and something I didn't see there, a small flashlight.

For dining, my 7 outfits are mix & match, so I don't bring 7 full sets.

Everything I bring fits into my 21" roll on piece of luggage which I roll up to my cabin myself, and a small shoulder bag. Now that I moved close to 3 Florida ports that I can drive to, that won't change. To me, less is more.

I can see how that would really appeal and if I were traveling alone, my list would probably be VERY different. This list is mostly a result of me assuring my sister that she didn't have to worry, that I would think of everything. So I'm trying to live up to that commitment for this trip. I want everything to be as easy as possible with every detail taken care of because of the circumstances.

Thanks so much! I wonder if I couldn't plug one power strip into the other and increase the # of available outlets if the bathroom outlet doesn't lend itself to supporting a power strip.

Might be too much of a total amperage draw on the flimsy electrical wiring of the ship, but Chengpk would be better able to determine that than me.

Many of the cabin lamps are now equipped with USB charging outlets, eliminating the need for many outlet electrical plugs.

Might be too much of a total amperage draw on the flimsy electrical wiring of the ship, but Chengpk would be better able to determine that than me.

Many of the cabin lamps are now equipped with USB charging outlets, eliminating the need for many outlet electrical plugs.

Cool. I wonder if there's a way to find out if that will be the case on the Dream in Feb.

Another list the OP might make is to notice if any items on the original list were not used and might be eliminated from their next cruise.

I'll definitely be paying attention to this and hoping and praying there is a next cruise! :)

I normally sail RC or Celebrity so cannot say for certain about Carnival. However, every cruise ship I have sailed has an small outlet in the bathroom for electric razors only. Outlet does not accept a regular plug.

I would not take any kind of power strip or extension cord on a ship. They are incredibly picky (and I totally agree) because of the fire danger. Even when traveling with cabin mates we were just careful about plugging stuff in and removing when charged so that everything got charged. There are usually two outlets on the desk area. Too many reports of supposedly allowed power strips/cords bring confiscated to make it worthwhile.

If you need an extension cord for medical reasons, CPAP for example, ship will provide.