Preventing Your Kids From Breaking Curfew!!

cruise line policy dictates that after 3 am? ( might be 1 am) minors cannot out and about on their own. they must be either participating in a scheduled activity from the kids clubs, or with an adult.

Security WILL get involved if they see kids out past the curfew. even if they are behaving

It's 1:00 AM.

Okay, so my kids have their own cabin on our upcoming cruise. I told them if they tried to sneak out after curfew that I could find out by asking guest services for a list containing the dates and times that the cabin door was opened and closed.

Do you think that that's an actual thing?? Or is it just a lie that a parent will tell to strike fear in their kids??

Your kids could simply prevent the door from closing when they sneak out, and nothing would be recorded. If my parents would have threatened to ask for the list, I would certainly have tested that method even if I didn't want to sneak out.:evilsmile:

Minor (under 21 y/o) kids can't occupy a cabin without an adult (over 21 y/o).
Not true. On RCI, you can book your own minor children into their own cabin as long as it is next to, or directly across from, your cabin. It is not required to have an adult booked into, or occupying, the cabin.

Who cares if they leave the cabin?

How far can they go???

There was a very recent CC thread where a young (12/13) year old boy was, apparently, sexually assaulted on a cruise ship by an adult male.

The boy was out wandering around the ship at almost 2 a.m. ....after curfew.

You think RCCL would review the footage from hundreds of cameras to track them for the parents? Too funny.

They don't need to review all the footage.

1 camera showing the door. Once they leave, you then watch the proper camera to follow them.

Haven't you ever watched Person of Interest? :D

Not true. On RCI, you can book your own minor children into their own cabin as long as it is next to, or directly across from, your cabin. It is not required to have an adult booked into, or occupying, the cabin.

Ok, In stand corrected. :o No kids so I guess I misunderstood past posts.

There’s this: on another cruise line, I was sick (bad food), had been in bed all day...Dh kept the kids out of our room and told them to stay out just in case it was norovirus...he went to the slides with our daughters and our 17 year old son was in the teen club. They closed at midnight so they knew to come back with a ten minute window. My Dh was dead to the world, when I woke at 12:30am and no son..I said I would just check the arcade and other spots...after going to front desk they downplayed my concern and assured me he was probably already back at my room. 1:30am...nope, went back to desk and they said they would have security check. By 2:30am, I had walked every deck, every nook, every stairwell..mind you, I’m recovering from food poisoning-so every bathroom. At this point, I go to security and demand they find my son. My mind had him thrown over (this was just a few weeks after another guest around his age had disappeared), security came and told me they tracked him and 5 other teens to the big Whig suite where that father had said his daughter could have her friends over..he was not even in the suite! No supervision, my son did say 2 of them drank beers from her dad’s bar...I was furious at my son for not calling us, made him apologize to security for having to track him down, and the next day he was parentally bound...he was also required to get 6 photos with characters (the one thing he detested)...seeing him stand in line (6’3) behind an hour long line of toddlers in princess gowns...was the best punishment we could think of having no sleep and coming off a day of relentless illness. My kid is now 23, graduated from college, doesn’t drink, never had a ticket, and still doesn’t like character pictures

Minor (under 21 y/o) kids can't occupy a cabin without an adult (over 21 y/o).

Not true...we booked my two sons (18 & 20) in their own room at the other end of the ship, several floors down.

Oh, and as the parent of 5 boys, all teenagers at the SAME time, GO MOM! Trust but verify. I'm sure your kids are great kids, but a little fear never hurt anyone. I would also second the poster that said maybe to read the Contract of Carriage over with your teens. There are some pretty stiff penalties in there (like getting tossed off the ship) that wouldn't hurt the reality check either. Have a blast!

There are two things I learned raising kids:

1. Good kids can't be trusted

2. Bad kids can be trusted

Simply put, just because you think a good kid won't do something, means that you are oblivious to reality. However, you can always trust a bad kid, will do exactly what you tell them not to.

As an adult, I don't go out, and drink 10 drinks a day, but on the ship I do. Is that not the same thing? Good in real life, but on the ship, drink and gamble.

Not true...we booked my two sons (18 & 20) in their own room at the other end of the ship, several floors down.

Oh, and as the parent of 5 boys, all teenagers at the SAME time, GO MOM! Trust but verify. I'm sure your kids are great kids, but a little fear never hurt anyone. I would also second the poster that said maybe to read the Contract of Carriage over with your teens. There are some pretty stiff penalties in there (like getting tossed off the ship) that wouldn't hurt the reality check either. Have a blast!

I already posted I stand corrected. However very interesting two different examples. :confused: We don't have kids so no dog in this fight.

Sorry, but to the person who had their kid paged after curfew, that would really make me angry as it would probably wake me up. And, I would be surprised that GS did it too.

When our kids were teens we just laid the law down. If they were not back in the cabin when they were supposed to be then they got "garaged" for a month when they got home. And, they knew we would follow through as we had done so many times before. Each kid had a car for their use, but we never put the cars into their names until they graduated from college. Then we went down to the County Clerk's office and had the car put in their name. We didn't care if they were over 18 or not, and what the cruise line said about curfew. They knew it was their parents they did not dare cross.

I love to see it coming home to roost as our oldest son is dealing with his 11 year old who thinks he's 18 and tries to turn everything into a negotiation.