Preventing Your Kids From Breaking Curfew!!

On one of our cruises, we noticed tiny pieces of folded paper on the rugs outside the doors in our area. We deduced it was our cabin steward who placed them in the door jambs late night/early morning so he knew when we went to breakfast so he could make up our rooms. Clever enough and the rooms were always made up timely.

If I couldn't trust my kids, they would not be in another cabin

I'm kinda in this camp too, but my kids have always been rule-followers without me having to bring down the hammer very often (must be their Catholic school upbringing ;p)

We cruised in April with our 15 year old daughter and her friend in the cabin next to ours. On this particular ship, the two cabin doors were very close together and I could easily hear each and every time they came and went from their rooms during the entire cruise. Those doors are heavy and not quiet at all, and there's virtually no way to close them quietly (I've been a light sleeper ever since my oldest was born 23 years ago). I asked them to be back to the rooms by midnight and they were always back by 11 or so.

I suppose that if they broke rules, we'd switch to one adult and one kid in each cabin.

Yes my friend has told me a lot of parents ask, not for a printout but did they leave their cabin?.Plus remember there are cameras everywhere so they will know where they are going.

You think RCCL would review the footage from hundreds of cameras to track them for the parents? Too funny.

Who cares if they leave the cabin?

How far can they go???

cruise line policy dictates that after 3 am? ( might be 1 am) minors cannot out and about on their own. they must be either participating in a scheduled activity from the kids clubs, or with an adult.

Security WILL get involved if they see kids out past the curfew. even if they are behaving

Op do what you think is best for your kids! I personally like the scare tactics. It kept me safe when I was a teen. I was afraid I would disappoint my parents. And the old tape on the door trick Is great too.

I believe in trusting your kids to a point. But I also believed it was my job to keep them safe. And they needed to earn and keep that trust. Your kids may meet a new friend on the cruise who could influence them to do something they might not do at home.

Don’t let your guard down on vacation.

Op do what you think is best for your kids! I personally like the scare tactics. It kept me safe when I was a teen. I was afraid I would disappoint my parents. And the old tape on the door trick Is great too.

I believe in trusting your kids to a point. But I also believed it was my job to keep them safe. And they needed to earn and keep that trust. Your kids may meet a new friend on the cruise who could influence them to do something they might not do at home.

Don’t let your guard down on vacation.

Couldn't agree more!!

We're all going to be up late, so there's very little reason to try anything stupid!!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Forums mobile app

How far can they go???

This speaks as if you have no kids. No kids means no worriying. But you asked two questions.

1. I care. My wife cares. All of our fellow neighboring cruiser cares. Even the cruisers we'll never meet that are located on a different floor, they care.

2. Busting curfew at 1am on a cruise ship, anywhere they go is too far.

Whether at home or on a vaction, life is full of rules and consequences. It is not a responsible person, adult, or cruiser that offers the type of response as you have. I think you know this. But based on your set of questions, I also think you don't know how to apply the concept of personal responsibility.

I see your kids are 16 and 13. The issue of breaking curfew is merely one issue of concern that of course needs to be discussed & managed. However there are many additional issues as well that warrant concern and discussion with the children. Mainly how to keep your children (safe).

Please consider doing a search in regarding (keeping children safe on a cruise). You'll come across a lot of helpful information, such as; practicing in-cabin safety with your kids, how to be safe on the balcony, using the buddy system, adult areas are off limits, never go into someone else's cabin or invite someone into yours, no running, pushing, shoving or cursing in public areas, say please and thank you, no cutting in lines, shouting in the halls, and so on & so on.....

Many unforeseen things can occur. Don't allow you or your children to become complacent while on vacation.

One main factor, don't be naive. Make sure you & your kids read the cruise line's (code of conduct), together.. It is listed on Royal Caribbean's website. A simple search & you'll locate that. Keep the communication wide open with your kids & hopefully all will be fine. Good luck!

:cool:

First....... well done looking at the rules and trying to come up with ways to obey them.

Second...... sounds like you're doing an excellent job of setting your own terms and guidelines within those.

Lastly....... I like the tape idea, but I'm guessing you'd have to make sure you were up and around in the morning before the kids left for breakfast?

I can't help but wonder if many of the "how could you do that"/ "you don't trust"/ "that's not appropriate" people are also the same who would be on here screaming about unattended kids at any time of the day....................

Yes you can get a log of card swipes but treating your kids like responsible young adults will get you more mileage.

Sometimes doing that doesn't always work. :eek:

Old fashioned grandma here but we used to put a piece of tape on the door after they turn in. Once the door is reopened there’s no way to replace the tape from the inside.

Ha ha, that's a good one.

How far can they go???

Just because you're on a cruise ship doesn't mean there aren't bad people with bad intentions... If I recall correctly, there was just a case awhile back where a man beat up a teenager because he had said something "out of line" to his niece (or some relative).

Yep. Tape. Perfect.

But kids live in a digital age. I would think they'd fully understand the concept of being tracked by all the cameras.

Trust but verify....

Parents aren't always here to be a child's best friend. They need to know the rules, that the rules are enforced, and that there will be consequences.

And, don't feed the trolls.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

It's not a lie!! I can get the information! Thank you for the free parenting advice!!

Yeah, but by your own words you told them that before you knew.

Do you think that that's an actual thing?? Or is it just a lie that a parent will tell to strike fear in their kids??

Okay, so my kids have their own cabin on our upcoming cruise. I told them if they tried to sneak out after curfew that I could find out by asking guest services for a list containing the dates and times that the cabin door was opened and closed.

Personally, I'm glad to hear that you're taking responsibility for your kids. Do what you think is best and ignore the rest.

On one of our cruises, we noticed tiny pieces of folded paper on the rugs outside the doors in our area. We deduced it was our cabin steward who placed them in the door jambs late night/early morning so he knew when we went to breakfast so he could make up our rooms. Clever enough and the rooms were always made up timely.

Haha - I was a "good" kid, but I did sneak out by bedroom window 2-3 times when I was a teenager. "Good" in that I wasn't sneaking out to drink, do drugs or have sex - just wanted to see if I could run in to a boy I liked. :o Worst punishment ever for me was disappointing my mom!

Anyway - I used this trick on the inside of my bedroom door. If the paper had fallen I knew I'd been caught. If it hadn't, I could go to bed peacefully. ;p Probably learned it from a mystery/detective book I read. :evilsmile:

Trust, but verify! :p

Most important rule is the cabin one!!! Don't go in someone else's!!! Don't allow anyone into yours!!!

Okay, so my kids have their own cabin on our upcoming cruise. I told them if they tried to sneak out after curfew that I could find out by asking guest services for a list containing the dates and times that the cabin door was opened and closed.

Do you think that that's an actual thing?? Or is it just a lie that a parent will tell to strike fear in their kids??

Screw the critics. More important is your concern. Trust but verify. Have a great cruise.