Question about Harmony sailing on Saturday- one of our group can't go

So, my daughter-in-law may not be able to go with us when we leave for our Harmony cruise this week! (work issues) I know the trip is non-refundable. My questions are: has this happened to anyone before and they worked something out with you? Do you have to let Royal know ahead of time? Could we "replace her" with someone else for the cruise? I am going to call them, just thought I'd ask here first and see if anyone had any advice... Thanks all!

Lori

You can change the name up to (I think) 24 hours before departure. No extra cost for a name change as long as at least one of the original passengers on the reservation is still the same. If she's just a no show then taxes and port fees will be refunded, everything else is lost. No need to let the cruise line know ahead of time unless you're changing names, just have her not show up.

Thanks, we are just sick about it, obviously! I wish they would offer some on board credit or something. Keeping our fingers crossed that she gets it worked out and can go.

Did you buy travel insurance? We always get travel insurance with cancel for work reasons for just this situation.

I’ll go, I’m free. My 3 kids home from college are ticking some nerves...have they bothered to clean their bathroom in 6 weeks? How long does it take to unload the dishwasher without being asked (I know, when all the mugs are left in their bathrooms or bedrooms)...so, I’ll be happy to join you all. It’d be a sacrifice, but someone has to make it!

On our last Harmony I had 4 cabins booked and 3 out of our extended family of 10 ended up not being able to go. Port fees and taxes were refunded to me (since I paid) and no one at the terminal or onboard asked or cared.

Hope it all works out for you...but for us another reason to plan another cruise.

Call now. Last I heard you had to make the change a minimum of 72 hours in advance.

Name changes can be done up to 24 hours in advance of the cruise. No charge.

Royal Caribbean provides complimentary electronic cruise documents (eDocs) for all guests. You also have the option to request printed cruise documents for $35 per document. Contact us if you require these documents to be reissued. Please note, however, that a reissue fee may apply. Names may be changed up to 24 hours prior to sailing provided one of the original names remains on the reservations.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/electronic-cruise-documents

This makes me sad. There is almost nothing that can’t wait a week (other than say hospital workers). Vacations are important to recharge batteries and her boss should know that. We all think we can’t miss but we really can. Hope it works out!

Her boss or company should refund her for her cancelled trip.

Yes, but this is assuming that she had confirmed vacation time already scheduled and approved by her boss. If she was just assuming she'd be able to get the time off and then as it turned out she couldn't, that is on her, unfortunately.

Yes, but this is assuming that she had confirmed vacation time already scheduled and approved by her boss. If she was just assuming she'd be able to get the time off and then as it turned out she couldn't, that is on her, unfortunately.

It's been on the calendar at work since May

It's been on the calendar at work since May

Wow. I don't know her work situation and am not pretending to, but if it's been approved for months, in my own situation I'd just say sorry I can't change my vacation plans, and they'd just have to deal with it. What a horrible situation. Her supervisor clearly doesn't know how to plan properly, and sure isn't scoring high in the "employee morale" department. What would they do if God forbid she was hit by a bus tomorrow and was in the hospital for a week? Well, they should do the same in this situation!

I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this. The lead up to vacation should be fun, not stressful!

Thanks, we are just sick about it, obviously! I wish they would offer some on board credit or something. Keeping our fingers crossed that she gets it worked out and can go.

I hope your family member can cruise with you and understand you will be sad if she cannot but that is why one purchases insurance. Why do you think the cruise line should offer anything?

We purchase insurance for every cruise and quite frankly I am disappointed when I read that the cruise line offered something back to a passenger who chose not to spend money on insurance. I wonder why I spend the money.

If you had no homeowners insurance and had house damage, would you expect any business to pay for your repairs?

Life happens and we need to prepare for interruptions and that is why folks purchase insurance. I had to cancel 2 cruise after final payment and my insurance covered all the costs. I had no idea I would be diagnosed with major medical issues just prior to the cruises. The insurance is a small price pay for peace of mind.

I know this post sounds cold, and I apologize for that and hopefully you will purchase insurance for future travel.

Best wishes.

M

I hope your family member can cruise with you and understand you will be sad if she cannot but that is why one purchases insurance. Why do you think the cruise line should offer anything?

We purchase insurance for every cruise and quite frankly I am disappointed when I read that the cruise line offered something back to a passenger who chose not to spend money on insurance. I wonder why I spend the money.

If you had no homeowners insurance and had house damage, would you expect any business to pay for your repairs?

Life happens and we need to prepare for interruptions and that is why folks purchase insurance. I had to cancel 2 cruise after final payment and my insurance covered all the costs. I had no idea I would be diagnosed with major medical issues just prior to the cruises. The insurance is a small price pay for peace of mind.

I know this post sounds cold, and I apologize for that and hopefully you will purchase insurance for future travel.

Best wishes.

M

In this instance, the OP's DIL might not make it because her boss appears to want to cancel her already approved vacation. In order to be covered for a work related issue, one has to have purchased a specific type of insurance policy that has the work cancellation rider. I know that when I do insurance, my main policy does not cover work related cancellations; I need to upgrade to the CFAR insurance to get that coverage.

I have not done that, as my job luckily has not acted in such a fashion, so once approved, it's done. And most people believe that once they get their time off approved, they don't have to worry. Unfortunate that the boss feels the need to do this.

In this instance, the OP's DIL might not make it because her boss appears to want to cancel her already approved vacation. In order to be covered for a work related issue, one has to have purchased a specific type of insurance policy that has the work cancellation rider. I know that when I do insurance, my main policy does not cover work related cancellations; I need to upgrade to the CFAR insurance to get that coverage.

I have not done that, as my job luckily has not acted in such a fashion, so once approved, it's done. And most people believe that once they get their time off approved, they don't have to worry. Unfortunate that the boss feels the need to do this.

There are a lot of jobs where that is a very real risk, and the exact rules of approved vacation time should be outlined in the employee handbook. I always get travel insurance and I always get a plan with a work cancellation rider. (TravelGuard Gold specifically)

My husband works for the federal government and approved time off can be cancelled for a government shutdown or any event that requires more than the usual number of employees on shift or that causes employees to be deployed to a different location. If there isn't enough coverage in the office they can cancel any approved vacation time that hasn't already begun.

My private sector job also has a section in the employee handbook that says they will always try to honor any approved PTO, but PTO can be revoked at any time if necessary to meet minimum staffing.

Unfortunately, believing that you don't have to worry is not the same thing as actually not having to worry. What if the company goes out of business? Has layoffs? Fires you? Gets bought out? You could easily lose approved PTO for a large number of reasons, not just your boss deciding to revoke it. Insurance is there to cover the situations that you don't expect to happen but do.

I do agree that you have to be very alert about what your travel insurance does and does not cover. Many do not cover work related cancellations, cancel for any reason, pre-existing medical conditions, etc. Some will only cover if the traveler gets sick and can't travel while others will cover for any immediate family member. Some nowadays are even adding pet illness riders, so if your pet gets seriously ill you can cancel.