In San Juan ATT

On our San Juan cruises, my friend had AT&T, I have Sprint, we were both fine in San Juan.

Yes, surprised when figured that out in 2000 that they were both local, thought was so Kool. Back then was still so many dead zones in Continental US...

Oh that's right! Forgot about those islands also. Don't go there much, but were in St. Croix last year. :)

Funny thing, once I board the ship the phone gets turned off, thrown in the safe and never seen again until the last day of the cruise. I've never used it on any of our cruises.

Funny thing, once I board the ship the phone gets turned off, thrown in the safe and never seen again until the last day of the cruise. I've never used it on any of our cruises.

Same thing with Bucky. Me, ....I use my phone as email service mostly. Gets me extra days in those AT&T ports that I don't have to use RCI internet and take up my D+ freebie time. ;) I have relatives and neighbors who love updates and pictures, and most important...receiving email updates from my cat sitter. ;)

Anytime you see your carrier on your display, that means you are on your carrier’s network and you are not roaming. Only when you see a different carrier (like Cellular at Sea when cruising) are you roaming.

Yup, goes into "airplane mode" when that comes up. ;)

Just a quick point. Roaming is when you are outside a service area, as controlled by the rate plan you are on. Not all rate plans cover places outside the mainland. Now, that is very rare today, but some older phones, and most likely older people that never changed the rate plan, could very well have a plan that San Juan, and other USA territories would be roaming.

Always check with your phone carrier. Also remember, that if you receive a "weak" signal, and you are close to a boarder line, you can accidently pick up a stronger signal internationally. Very unlikely, but can happen also.