Unlimited Drink Options Included with other lines: will you still book Carnival?

pcrum

I booked my first Carnival cruise (Breeze). Some of this banter makes me a bit nervous. We tend to be more conservative and don’t watch the contests on pool deck, obnoxious drunks, people dancing provocatively and grinding on others, etc...So what is meant by “more fun”? Can we just avoid such things by staying in the family areas, waterslides? Or is that type of stuff rampant throughout? We do love other activities like the game shows, trivia, kids contests, Q&As with crew.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I drive a Ford and am happy with Fords, there isn't a valid reason for me to try Chevrolet. That would be stupid. It is no different with cruise lines. When tried with spouses, it could be dangerous.

There will always a few dissatisfied with life's experiences and perhaps life itself who are compelled to keep searching for something that doesn't exist. Instead of a carrot, they follow perks on a stick. They think they find it, soon become bored, and move on. The grass only looks greener through their green tinted glasses.

There are no free carrots or perks.

I'm not a name brand shopper and I've owned everything from a Buick to a Toyota. Once we figure out where we want to go we choose our cruise based on price. We're perfectly happy with Carnival and our upcoming cruise is unlikely to change that view.

Sounds like you drank the NCL koolaid to me. They are the epitome if nickel and diming. They openly admit it.

LOL....yeah. Carnival partakes in every practice NCL does. They just lack the larger variety due to the design on their smaller ships.

No one on here claims the Carnival steakhouse is a nickle and diming tactic but NCL's selection of restaurants somehow is. Now Carnival is adding Cucina and the Asian Kitchen but still all you hear from the cheerleaders is how it is great to have selections, in the next thread they critique NCL.

LOL....yeah. Carnival partakes in every practice NCL does. They just lack the larger variety due to the design on their smaller ships.

No one on here claims the Carnival steakhouse is a nickle and diming tactic but NCL's selection of restaurants somehow is. Now Carnival is adding Cucina and the Asian Kitchen but still all you hear from the cheerleaders is how it is great to have selections, in the next thread they critique NCL.

Answer me this, how many for pay restaurants are there in the bliss? Is that due to size of the ship or ability to gouge? While Carnival plays in that market it is true, the king of the hill is NCL. Their marketing plan is directly tied to it. Raise the price and throw in freebies (that everybody covers whether they partake or not. Why is it that to say any thing positive about Carnival on a Carnival thread is cheerleading but your comments are facts?

This is similar to the airline business where someone would rather fly Southwest for $400 instead of "being nickle and dimed" by Spirit to do the exact same flight and experience for $250 after fees. Then everyone discusses why their choice is the best.

Spirit most definitely does not offer the same experience as Southwest. Lol.

First of all, teetotaler has nothing to do with tea. Secondly, it is in fact true that the drinks perk on NCL is free. You pay 125 pp for the 20% gratuities. Just like if someone gives you a free certificate at a restaurant, you still tip your server.

It is more like the restaurant having a door charge similar to the cost of dinner, plus gratuity, then giving you a "free" dinner. ;)

I'm not a name brand shopper and I've owned everything from a Buick to a Toyota. Once we figure out where we want to go we choose our cruise based on price. We're perfectly happy with Carnival and our upcoming cruise is unlikely to change that view.

The analogy fails since a cruise lasts for days vs years. If you end up on the cruise from hell, the end is in sight. Although some spend as much on a cruise as a car.

The analogy fails since a cruise lasts for days vs years. If you end up on the cruise from hell, the end is in sight. Although some spend as much on a cruise as a car.

You're the one that brought it up, but the discussion is about being loyal to a company and that can be anything from TV's to vacations.

Edited by sparks1093

Answer me this, how many for pay restaurants are there in the bliss? Is that due to size of the ship or ability to gouge? While Carnival plays in that market it is true, the king of the hill is NCL. Their marketing plan is directly tied to it. Raise the price and throw in freebies (that everybody covers whether they partake or not. Why is it that to say any thing positive about Carnival on a Carnival thread is cheerleading but your comments are facts?

8 if I remember, all popular cuisine types. You are still trying to prove your point using false pretenses.

The fact options exist does no harm to the consumer nor does it affect them financially. There are also 3 main dining rooms, a casual eatery and the normal buffet....all included with the fare.

Any reservation are optional, sames as with those who hit up Bonsai Teppanyaki, Cucina, Jiji, The Steakhouse, Bonsai Sushi or the Seafood Shack on Horizon.

8 if I remember, all popular cuisine types. You are still trying to prove your point using false pretenses.

The fact options exist does no harm to the consumer nor does it affect them financially. There are also 3 main dining rooms, a casual eatery and the normal buffet....all included with the fare.

Any reservation are optional, sames as with those who hit up Bonsai Teppanyaki, Cucina, Jiji, The Steakhouse, Bonsai Sushi or the Seafood Shack on Horizon.

I counted 15 when i was on but there was alcohol involved. We can agree to disagree.

The fact is that square footage on a cruise ship is expensive and subsidized by everyone. Even if you don't pay extra for food, you are still paying for the space.

And if you need to pay extra for edible food, it does affect cruisers financially.

Hmmm. Do you usually go to the same doctor or dentist, or do you like to switch them up?

Talk about an inapt analogy (although there are medical franchises out there I guess). As for being a consumer I am not particularly brand loyal. Within certain quality limits jeans are jeans, shoes are shoes, cars are cars. cruises are cruises. Not interested in paying for a big name.

Talk about an inapt analogy (although there are medical franchises out there I guess). As for being a consumer I am not particularly brand loyal. Within certain quality limits jeans are jeans, shoes are shoes, cars are cars. cruises are cruises. Not interested in paying for a big name.

I don't believe Carnival charges extra for their name. Or competes with other cruise lines on marketing gimmicks like drink packages.

They offer some choice for those who insist on it, but don't stick everyone with the cost of "free" packages.

I don't believe Carnival charges extra for their name. Or competes with other cruise lines on marketing gimmicks like drink packages.

They offer some choice for those who insist on it, but don't stick everyone with the cost of "free" packages.

I never said that they did, I like Carnival and feel they offer us a good value for our vacation dollar. But when I have the opportunity to sail on a different line for less than what Carnival charges I'll take it. I'd even sail with NCL again if the price were right.

Carnival and NCL both charge for specialty restaurants and both have free venues. NCL charges for the go-karts and lazer tag on the Bliss. Carnival charges for the IMAX and thrill theatre. Carnival Skyride is free, NCL ropes course is free ..... It's not like there is a huge difference, the study found on board spending was only a matter of few dollars more per passenger on NCL over the others. Your spending habits mary vary.

Carnival and NCL both charge for specialty restaurants and both have free venues. NCL charges for the go-karts and lazer tag on the Bliss. Carnival charges for the IMAX and thrill theatre. Carnival Skyride is free, NCL ropes course is free ..... It's not like there is a huge difference, the study found on board spending was only a matter of few dollars more per passenger on NCL over the others. Your spending habits mary vary.

What study is that? NCL has more specialty extra cost restaurants. Service charge on NCL is higher than daily tips on Carnival, as are gratuities on NCL. I don't think unlimited internet packages are available on most NCL ships, and what about the price of a case of water? Mandatory room service charge? etc. etc.

What study is that? NCL has more specialty extra cost restaurants. Service charge on NCL is higher than daily tips on Carnival, as are gratuities on NCL. I don't think unlimited internet packages are available on most NCL ships, and what about the price of a case of water? Mandatory room service charge? etc. etc.

When I cruise on NCL I don’t do the specialty restaurants, I’m quite happy with the buffet and regular dining rooms and O’Sheehans. And the late night food at the buffet. We also don’t do the room service either.

We did buy the unlimited internet on The Escape and it had pretty good speeds for the most part. But carnival WiFi is a little less as well as the app. But I heard WiFi is pretty bad on Carnival.

Service charges may be slightly higher on NCL as is the water bottles. But again, these are choices and you can be perfectly fine without. I guess my point is that some things are important to some and not others. We always look at total cost for things we want and go from there.

Did you not see this from a couple weeks ago? https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-07/go-karts-on-deck-19-laser-tag-coax-cruisers-to-open-wallets

I guess my point is that some things are important to some and not others. We always look at total cost for things we want and go from there.

^^^^ This.

Many people don't care about drink packages and don't want to subsidize others who do.

Mr. Stuart says it all.....

It’s all about giving customers options, according to Andy Stuart, chief executive of the Norwegian line.

“Someone could come on a cruise and eat in the main restaurants, they can not drink alcohol and they can walk off and not spend a dime if they choose to,” he said in an interview in the Bliss’s Haven lounge. “Someone else can come on the ship and spend a lot of money, depending on the experience they choose.”

Mr. Stuart says it all.....

" they can not drink alcohol and they can walk off and not spend a dime if they choose to"

Lol. Just don't tell them they already paid for the drink package in their inflated cruise fare...