What was the best deal you ever got on a Princess Cruise?

1AL

• 3 months later...

On our second cruise, both to Alaska, we booked a balcony.  When I printed the Boarding Pass, the cabin number had changed.  I called Princess and it turns out we had been upgraded to a Full (not mini) Suite with all the accompanying amenities.  Princess gave no reason for change and we asked no questions!

My upcoming January 10 day Southern Caribbean Medley on the Crown in a comped balcony which we upgraded to a minusuite for a modest cost compliments of the Princess Players Club. With paying out-of-pocket for Taxes, Fees, Port Expenses, Vacation Protection, Upgrade, and Gratuities our cost for this cruise minus air and personal expenses is $600/pp. Sure I had to gamble to get this comp but no more than what the actual cost of the cruise is. So I guess you could say I get rewarded for loosing, but if I do win along the way which I usually do get back at least my out-of-pocket expenses I don't get punished either because the comps keep coming. :classic_smile:

On 8/15/2018 at 8:40 PM, fishywood said:

If you dare to post even just the instructions on how to be assigned a PCC--never mind the name and extension of a specific one--it gets deleted post haste.

Since I recently turned Elite I have been receiving e-mails listing specific sailings that I can get a "special fare just for me" on only by calling my PCC. Haven't put it to the test just yet.

This entire PCC thing has become more myth then fact.  PCCs are simply reservation clerks who have X number of cruisers as part of their work assignment.  We were 4 Star Mariners long before we ever heard from any PCC because we do not book cruises directly with cruise lines (why pay an extra 7-10%+ to do that).  But about 4 years ago we had to cancel a HAL booking (the first cruise we have canceled in over 100 bookings).  The cancellation triggered multiple phone calls directly from HAL wanting to know why we canceled and was there anything they could do to get us change our mind.  At the time part of our reasoning was the smoking policy (which has since been changed for the better).  For about a year we received some phone calls and e-mails from our newly assigned PCC until I finally asked her "why should I book with you and pay more then if I book elsewhere?)  Her response was that I could book with her and then transfer the booking to a cruise agency to get additional perks.  Yes, that is true but it means giving up some leverage with our favored cruise agencies and there is no reason to book with our PCC and then go through the hassles of transferring.  

On our last HAL cruise this became a topic at a large shared dinner table.  One lady kept saying how much she liked her PCC and she would not save that much using a cruise agent.   When we explained that we have saved $3000+ on a HAL booking done elsewhere there was some surprise by that lady.  She had no idea since she had previously only used a local TA who would give her a bottle of wine!

Another reason we prefer cruise agents is that they deal with all the cruise lines.  Our next 4 cruises are with MSC, Seabourn, Princess and HAL!  Although we always shop around for the best deals, most of our dealings are with a single agent/agency since they usually have the best deals.  We are talking about saving $1000+ on nearly every booking!  Our cruise agent understands the entire industry, has contacts at most of the cruise lines.  She also is able to discuss one line vs another in terms of quality and value.  Another big selling point is that our cruise agent works for us...rather then the cruise line.  

Hank

$743 pp for a balcony guarantee, 7-day Caribbean cruise. Upgraded to a full suite, a VS corner suite, 9 days before sailing. 

That was 15 years ago. 

That was truly our best deal. 

Cabin went for around $5, 500. 

Edited by 4cats4me