Summit vs. Anthem of the Seas

pmctrish

My daughter and family with three children (14, 11, 4) would like to cruise with us from Cape Liberty to Bermuda. My husband and I went on Celebrity Summit two years ago to Bermuda and enjoyed it. I'm considering Anthem of the Seas because it has lots of activities for the children who are active. I'm concerned that they might get bored on the Summit. The only cruise that they have been on is the Disney Dream a few years ago, and they loved it. Any thoughts, pro and con, about the Summit vs. Anthem would be appreciated.

The comparison is Apples to........Watermelons! The Anthem is 4000+ and Summit is half that. Anthem has huge number of things to do for kids, Summit has a play room and a nice kid program but nothing even close to Anthem.

I could go on, but if the point of the cruise is family entertainment, obviously Anthem. If the kids are self-starters and would be happy with some friends and doing fun kid projects and being with their parents, then Summit. No way of knowing without knowing the family dynamics. Our kids loved Celebrity (teens) and our grandkids enjoyed it a great deal, but they enjoyed socializing with other kids a lot, and us, and not into wall climbing, etc.

Having sailed on the huge RCL ships, I as an adult found it of little enjoyment. Great play (Cats and loved it), but if I want to wander Times Square, I go to NYC and i found the crowds overwhelming and tiring. It wasn’t a vacation, it was a time to watch the kids have fun and then vacation later in a different venue.

The Bermuda cruise has more sea days then normal Carribean cruises. Bermuda is a real kick. Enjoy.

Den

We have been on Summit to Bermuda 6 times and Anthem twice. Anthem is a much newer ship and has more things to do for everyone not just kids. Summit is more laid back.

If the kids like a lot of activities I say go with Anthem. Although I'm sure they would have fun on either cruise line.

Pros and cons: Anthem has more activities and better entertainment and much newer ship and in better condition. Although Summit is going through a total renovation in February 2019. So hopefully that will help.

Celebrity has better food and service and it's a smaller ship (which to me is a plus) so doesn't feel as crowded.

Also I think Anthem is only a 5 day cruise? Summit is 7. I always would pick the longer cruise.

If it’s an Anthem single day or even one overnight in Bermuda, I would strongly recommend with taking a longer cruise on the Anthem or take Summit. Bermuda is Not a one day port of call.

Den

I'm taking my family; daughter and her family (4-2 kids age 11+) and my son and his family(4-2kids age 5 and 3) on the Anthem on 8/4.My wife and I have been on 40 cruises and many times to Bermuda on the Summit.The kids would be bored stiff on the Summit.There is so much for them to do on the Anthem.

........The kids would be bored stiff on the Summit.There is so much for them to do on the Anthem.

Since ou know your kids, you know they would bored stiff on the Summit, but no idea of other’s people’s kids would be. Kids differ as much as we differ.

Den

The comparison is Apples to........Watermelons!

:D

Exactly. I’ve sailed on Anthem and on the Summit’s M-class sister ship Infinity. Anthem is an enormous amusement park at sea, fairly disconnected from the water. The M-class ships are laid back cruise ships, and about half the size.

Choosing between such different ships really comes down to who is going and what will interest them.

As for the itineraries, I don’t know the specifics here, but I agree that the more days, the better.

My kids were about the same ages when we did Anthem (15, 14, 11, 7). They would have loved being on a ship for the first day but that is about it. There is no comparison when it comes to kids activities. I've cruised on both and I find the food to be the same.

Anthem= Disney World

Summit = Longwood Gardens

Have a great cruise! My kids cried when we disembarked : )

Been on both. With children I would definitely do the Anthem. If it were just adults would do the Summit.

More option for the kids on the Anthem, plus there is a lot for the adults also.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Been on both. With children I would definitely do the Anthem. If it were just adults would do the Summit.

More option for the kids on the Anthem, plus there is a lot for the adults also.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Agree 100%.

Agree 100%.

I also agree 100%. If your kids are social, the Anthem is much better with more activities. Overall, I find the food on the Summit much better with the exception of the buffet which in my opinion is far better on the Anthem (both in choice and quality).

I have also sailed both ships out of NJ. Both are great experiences. I would agree with those that suggest Anthem is the much better choice with kids. Bumper cars and amusement areas and probably a much better kids club too. You did not mention the stateroom category. If you sail in a suite Celebrity overall is a far better choice than RCCL with the included suite perks. If this helps, if you were a honeymoon couple with no kids looking to just relax, the Summit would be the way to go IMO, especially in a suite.

We're X fans but on Anthem right now, 9 day Bermuda / Caribbean sailing. This is our third Quantum class sailing and ship is much improved from bad old days of a couple of years ago. Booked this sailing because brother and his 3 teens are on board. They are all having a ball, even eating at buffet tonight so as to fit in more activities. Food and service are surprisingly good (still prefer X) and entertainment has been top notch including Journey tribute band that played to a full house the last two nights. Recommend that you consider this 9 day itinerary which gives you a full day in Bermuda plus San Juan, St Martin and Labadee.

Two things that I really like about Royal C ships are the great entertainment and the fantastic Diamond Happy Hour. Happy Hour starts at 4:30 and ends at 8 and you can order a glass of wine at dinner if before 8. We did a 23 day cruise on Explorer of the Seas and didn't spend anything on alcohol the entire cruise.

Two things that I really like about Royal C ships are the great entertainment and the fantastic Diamond Happy Hour. Happy Hour starts at 4:30 and ends at 8 and you can order a glass of wine at dinner if before 8. We did a 23 day cruise on Explorer of the Seas and didn't spend anything on alcohol the entire cruise.

True but the OP might not be Diamond level with RCCL and is traveling with her daughter and grandchildren. That was the basis of her post.