Newbie***** Questions of basic stuff that I don’t know.. :)

HSNY

So I booked this cruise through Carnival directly, and it was mainly because it included the ports that I wanted to visit. We are flying in from another state for a cruise on Miracle, and I need some tips & pro-tips. I haven’t cruised since I was a child, and this is my first with my own family. After this one, I should be familiar with the customs within cruising. So...

How does everything work? lol...

We’re used to staying at resorts or hotels that have a timeframe for serving breakfast and we wake up late 😫.

Does Miracle have a timeframe for breakfast, and where would we go for breakfast and lunch? Is this in the main buffet or wherever?

Any other tips for a newbie like me?

If anyone wants to participate in this exhausting discussion, please HELP!

Thanks in advance! xx

Hi,

It might help if you had a good look at the Carnival Miracle web site.

Explore the information about the ship and what it has to offer.

Your questions are too broad (except for the one about bkfst) so maybe after reading a bit you'd have more specific ones???

There are many options for breakfast both in the main dining room , the Lido buffet area, and room service. The options will allow you to sleep late and still eat! No worries.

Depending on the ports though , you may want to get up early to explore them.

Hi,

It might help if you had a good look at the Carnival Miracle web site.

Explore the information about the ship and what it has to offer.

Your questions are too broad (except for the one about bkfst) so maybe after reading a bit you'd have more specific ones???

There are many options for breakfast both in the main dining room , the Lido buffet area, and room service. The options will allow you to sleep late and still eat! No worries.

Depending on the ports though , you may want to get up early to explore them.

Thank you, I will look now, and read up. I think that ‘missing meals’ was really my only concern because we have little ones. The port rules and expectations, I have familiarized myself with because of the excursions we booked in advance. Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

If possible fly in at least a day before departure. Granted it adds to the cost, but flight delays and cancellations are far to frequent to risk missing the cruise.

Port times listed on the itinerary are approximate and subject to change. All aboard times are at least a half-hour before the departure time. This is inflexible so do not plan on returning to the ship just before the listed departure time.

If possible fly in at least a day before departure. Granted it adds to the cost, but flight delays and cancellations are far to frequent to risk missing the cruise.

Port times listed on the itinerary are approximate and subject to change. All aboard times are at least a half-hour before the departure time. This is inflexible so do not plan on returning to the ship just before the listed departure time.

Thank you. Yes, we are flying in the day before.

Here is what I know about cruising. I forget what feeling hungry feels like. There is ALWAYS food available. They might shut down for a bit to change between breakfast and lunch, but there is 24 hour pizza, the deli is open, burgers, tacos, just way too many to list. And always roomservice, before 10:00 most of it is it free of charge. (Just be sure to tip a couple bucks) trust me, you will NOT go hungry.

And there are mini fridges in the cabins and you can pilfer from the buffet and keep something in there for the little ones.

As someone else posted there is always food available 24/7. However not necessarily breakfast foods, but foods that go with different meal timeframes.

One MAJOR rule of thumb....ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS stay on ships time. If you use a cell phone for telling time remember it will reset to the time zone you are in.

One MAJOR rule of thumb....ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS stay on ships time. If you use a cell phone for telling time remember it will reset to the time zone you are in.

This is easy to disable on your cell phone.

So I booked this cruise through Carnival directly, and it was mainly because it included the ports that I wanted to visit. We are flying in from another state for a cruise on Miracle, and I need some tips & pro-tips. I haven’t cruised since I was a child, and this is my first with my own family. After this one, I should be familiar with the customs within cruising. So...

How does everything work? lol...

We’re used to staying at resorts or hotels that have a timeframe for serving breakfast and we wake up late 😫.

Does Miracle have a timeframe for breakfast, and where would we go for breakfast and lunch? Is this in the main buffet or wherever?

Any other tips for a newbie like me?

Thanks in advance! xx

Go on YouTube and enter the name of your ship and you will find dozens of videos including ship tours, reviews, vlogs, etc. A couple of hours spent watching some of them will give you a good idea of what's what. Plus it will probably ratchet up the excitement for your upcoming cruise.

Trust me when I say this, you will never go hungry on a cruise. They have food around the clock (pizza and ice cream are the only 24 hour foods). On sea days, the have breakfast until around 12:30 in the dining room. That means that you have to be seated by then. On the Lido (buffet), they have until around 10:30 I believe. On port days they don't serve the sea day brunch in the dining room, but they do have breakfast there and on the Lido.

My biggest cruise tip is don't overpack. Most of the day, you will be in a bathing suit anyway. You don't need an new outfit for dinner every night and you don't need shoes to match each one. And you don't need to get overly dressed up for dinner. You also don't need to bring an outfit for every day. Nobody will remember if you wear a shirt or shirts twice. You have to make sure you know how much you are spending on drinks. It may be easy to just give your card, but you can always check your balance using a kiosk or at guest services. The gift shops and photos are also very pricey, so i would recommend you take a lot of your own pictures.

A very important one, bring a lanyard for your sail and sign card to wear around your neck. You won't carry around a wallet or purse because you only pay with your S&S card. Bathing suits don't always have pockets and you always need to have your card. The gift shop sells lanyards for a high price, so bring your own.

Although I said don't overpack, your first cruise is the cruise that you will learn what you use and what you don't use. Also with flying, heavy/big suitcases are costly. Even when we don't fly, most people in my family use one of those suitcases that fits in the overhead compartment on an airplane. Not overpacking also keeps the tiny room from getting too cluttered.

My last tip is not to buy the wifi packages (unless you need it for work). You are on vacation, that can also be a vacation from your phone. It's easier to relax and refresh yourself.

I know I said that was my last tip, but here's another. Try to always carry around a phone, small camera, or GoPro for pictures and videos. I wouldn't bring a $500 Cannon or anything. There are so many moments/memories I wish I could have captured. I would recommend buying a GoPro, I found one for around $120. It is the best way to capture happy moments to remember in the future.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. As you can tell, I like to talk about cruises. :)

So I booked this cruise through Carnival directly, and it was mainly because it included the ports that I wanted to visit.

Thanks in advance! xx

Bolding is mine.

This may be the biggest problem you have. If everything goes well, you probably will visit all the ports. However, you should be aware that any port can be missed because of a myriad list of reasons or the entire itinerary could be changed (usually weather related).

If missing a port will cause you angst and despair, cruising to it is not the best way to visit.

Trust me when I say this, you will never go hungry on a cruise. They have food around the clock (pizza and ice cream are the only 24 hour foods). On sea days, the have breakfast until around 12:30 in the dining room. That means that you have to be seated by then. On the Lido (buffet), they have until around 10:30 I believe. On port days they don't serve the sea day brunch in the dining room, but they do have breakfast there and on the Lido.

My biggest cruise tip is don't overpack. Most of the day, you will be in a bathing suit anyway. You don't need an new outfit for dinner every night and you don't need shoes to match each one. And you don't need to get overly dressed up for dinner. You also don't need to bring an outfit for every day. Nobody will remember if you wear a shirt or shirts twice. You have to make sure you know how much you are spending on drinks. It may be easy to just give your card, but you can always check your balance using a kiosk or at guest services. The gift shops and photos are also very pricey, so i would recommend you take a lot of your own pictures.

A very important one, bring a lanyard for your sail and sign card to wear around your neck. You won't carry around a wallet or purse because you only pay with your S&S card. Bathing suits don't always have pockets and you always need to have your card. The gift shop sells lanyards for a high price, so bring your own.

Although I said don't overpack, your first cruise is the cruise that you will learn what you use and what you don't use. Also with flying, heavy/big suitcases are costly. Even when we don't fly, most people in my family use one of those suitcases that fits in the overhead compartment on an airplane. Not overpacking also keeps the tiny room from getting too cluttered.

My last tip is not to buy the wifi packages (unless you need it for work). You are on vacation, that can also be a vacation from your phone. It's easier to relax and refresh yourself.

I know I said that was my last tip, but here's another. Try to always carry around a phone, small camera, or GoPro for pictures and videos. I wouldn't bring a $500 Cannon or anything. There are so many moments/memories I wish I could have captured. I would recommend buying a GoPro, I found one for around $120. It is the best way to capture happy moments to remember in the future.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. As you can tell, I like to talk about cruises. :)

Thank you! Your response was amazing. Very grateful for your tips! And yes, we recently invested in a GoPro for our snorkeling excursions.

Every evening you get a copy of the Fun Times in your stateroom. This lists all dining options, locations, and times for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Not sure about your ship, but some have a Dr Seuss breakfast on sea days, which may be fun for your kids.

Enjoy!

Thank you. I called up Carnival and they said I can’t reserve a seat for Dr. Seuss breakfast until I get on the ship. Boo! I wish I could do that in advance like everything else.

Bolding is mine.

This may be the biggest problem you have. If everything goes well, you probably will visit all the ports. However, you should be aware that any port can be missed because of a myriad list of reasons or the entire itinerary could be changed (usually weather related).

If missing a port will cause you angst and despair, cruising to it is not the best way to visit.

It won’t. Yes, I want to visit those ports, however, it wouldn’t be a game-changer. I’m a pretty positive person when I’m on vacation. Thank you for your response :).

1. Don't try to do everything. It is a vacation, not a marathon.
  2. If you have a question, and you see someone with a gold, platinum, or diamond Sign and Sail card, ask them. They probably have seen it all.
  3. If you order something in the MDR and do not like it, then let your waiter know and order something else. If you see two entrees you want to try, order both.
  4. Get to the shows earlier than the posted time. You can get a better seat.
  5. Leave the laptop at home.
  6. Be friendly to the crew. Smile and say "Hi". They work hard seven days a week to make your vacation better. They also have families. Take a few minutes to ask crew members who you deal with on a regular basis about their families. It goes over very well.
  7. Plan on getting back to the ship in plenty of time. You don't want to be the person the ship (might) wait for to board before departure. The ship will wait for groups booked through the cruise line, if they are delayed. They may not wait for others.
  8. No vacation is perfect. Some things may happen that can be inconvenient. Do not let it ruin your vacation. If you have a complaint, don't go to Guest Relations with a bad attitude. Be pleasant, and you will get better service.
  9. Most people pack their luggage and leave it in the hallway the night before disembarkation per normal procedures. Unless you are self-carrying out your luggage during disembarkation, remember to keep something to wear unpacked. There are no shops open on the morning of disembarkation.

There is an area somewhere on Lido, maybe by the pool, that serves late breakfast. Should be open until about Noon. Check the Fun Times.

You can request that scrambled eggs or omelets be made with real eggs and not the liquid, both in the MDR and on Lido.

If you get Eggs Benedict in the MDR, ask for the sauce on the side.

There is tea time on every sea day about 3 or 3:30.

Interact with the crew. That is one of the best parts of the cruise for us. It's especially fun when you meet someone you know on other cruises.

Fill up empty water bottles on Lido. The water is fine.

Bring a clock for the room.

Shampoo and shower gel are provided in the shower but we bring our own and conditioner.

There is a hair dryer but we bring our own.

You can request twice daily cabin service. We do.

Take lots of pictures with different backgrounds. You are not obligated to buy any of them.

You can order as much as you want in the dining room.

There is room under the bed for luggage.

Have a great time and enjoy your vacation.

Edited by kicia
Added info.

I agree, ask someone with a color card for tips, those of us that cruise a lot usually love to share our cruise tips. My tip is for the kids, sign them up for the kids club and attend the family orientation the first night. Kids club is free up until 10pm and my son loved it from 3 years old until he turned 12. They have a different age group for the 11 years old and older but still they have a good time in those. When you go to the breakfast buffet, there are boxes of cereal and milk. If you have really small kids, you may want to take back a few of these items for mid day or just times when there may need to be a small snack. Once when my husband and I went, we slept late through breakfast but decided to wait about 15 more mins and they were putting out freshly prepared lunch. You will not go hungry. Another tip is the gym is free to use, they have the best showers and saunas that adults can use if you want a to get dressed sometimes outside of the cabin. In the main dining room, your wait team will know who you are as soon as you get there. They get a passenger list to study before you even arrive. With that said, most of the crew will get to know you and it is amazing how they remember guests when they see so many from cruise to cruise. If you have a set dinner time, make sure to arrive on time, they have started to close the dining room 30 mins after the opening to not allow late guests. The wait team will remember your food preferences after the first night. Depending on your family, you may want to go to the main dining room every night, or some nights you can let the kids have dinner with the camp, they have to be dropped off at the designated area in time for their dinner and the counselors will take them back to camp afterwards. All of the age groups have schedules that they give you all week of the activities. Seuss at sea is awesome, breakfast is 5.00 and you can usually get in but also they have parades and pictures and all other activities that you can participate in all during the cruise. Check the kids club activities. Carry on your own soda in cans and you can also bring a bottle of wine or champagne per adult but carry it with you. Drop your other bags with the porters and make sure the bags are labeled clearly with your luggage tags . The cabin is not very spacious but if you organize it, things will go much better. Empty suitcases can go under the bed or in the closet. It’s best to empty the suitcases as soon as you get them so that you are not tripping over them all week. If you are hot natured bring a small fan. Whether you are hot natured or not, bring a shawl or sweater, the public areas get cold. When you drop off your bags at the start of the cruise, you won’t see them again until that evening, all bags are dropped off at the cabin doors. We love to cruise and cruise both with our kids and family and with just my husband and I. It is the best vacation for us because you can spend a little money or a lot but once on, all you have to worry about is tips , drinks and excursions. All the other heavy expenses are done and only have to unpack once. Enjoy and if you think of anything else just ask.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My advice is "don't over think things" It is a vacation. Just relax and "go with the flow." If you read enough posts on this website you will see that some folks on here have every minute planned from the time they leave their house until they walk back in the door after their vacation. I can't for the life of me understand how that is relaxing in anyway. But that is just me. Meal times and locations are published in the little ships newspaper that gets delivered to your cabin each night. Don't worry about it.

How does everything work? lol... Very broad question, too much to answer here, but I will give a few tips below ;)

We’re used to staying at resorts or hotels that have a timeframe for serving breakfast and we wake up late 😫. Yes and no. Every day, you will get a Funtimes pamphlet in your cabin, and more are available at various places on the ship (Guest Services, Near the Coffee Shop, etc). There are specific times that the buffet and the Main Dining Room (MDR) will be open for breakfast, and brunch as well in the MDR, depending on the day. Keep in mind the MDR is open seating during those times, like a traditional restaurant as opposed to assigned time (more on that below). Later on, the buffets get hut down, and then switched to lunch. As others have said, you will NOT go hungry. Even if you miss a meal, there are usually multiple options. They occasionally have late night snacks, and there is ALWAYS pizza. The Funtimes will list all specific venues and times.

Does Miracle have a timeframe for breakfast, and where would we go for breakfast and lunch? Is this in the main buffet or wherever? I have not been on Miracle, but it will be like all other ships. Yes, there are time frames from breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The buffet is usually the most popular place for breakfast and lunch, but there is also a burger place, deli counter, pizza (24 hrs), and probably a few others. The food choices vary based on the ship, so I will not get too specific here. For breakfast, the buffet is the most popular, but there is usually open seating in one of the main dining rooms, and you can get a high quality breakfast there.

Any other tips for a newbie like me? Since you are concerned about dining, here is something you should know. For dinner time, there are three options, "Early, Late and Your Time." When you book online, the system automatically selects "Early or Late" for you. This means you will have the same table, with the same waitstaff at the same time frame every night. You may share this table with other families, or you may get your own. This is traditional, and many folks prefer it this way. I do not. My wife and I change ours to "Your Time Dining (YTD)," which means, during dinner time, we just shop up at the restaurant when we want to (within dinner hours), and get seated like a traditional land restaurant. it is more flexible, but the cost is if we show up at a busier time, we may have to wait for a table. We have only waited longer than 15 minutes once or twice, and we have had close to 6 cruises by now. Either way, check your booking information online, and see what you have, it will be "Early or Late." If you like it, great. If you want to switch, you can change it then. Sometimes there are waitlists so the sooner you check it out, the better.

Thanks in advance! xx

Specific answers in the quotes, marked blue.

Here are my general tips. some have already been mentioned but are worth repeating, some are original.;)

1) Relax and enjoy yourself. You will NOT do everything, and that is ok. I have seen people get stressed out on their vacation after being overwhelmed by everything available, and try to micromanage every hour of their trip. This can cause a lot more stress than it is worth. Of course do everything you want, but take the time to just enjoy yourself.

2) Faster to the Fun: You can purchase this for you stateroom, which gives you a few priorities like getting on the ship sooner, a shorter line at guest services and tenders, and your room will be ready early. Some say it is worth it, some say not. My wife and I do not use it. It is up to you, but one benefit is if you are some of the first to board, you can drop off your luggage, and do some exploring to get your bearings before the ship is fully loaded.

3) Explore the Ship. Get a good night's rest the day before and spend at least an hour exploring the ship. Find your muster station, your dining room, etc early on. This will help you navigate later.

4) Magnets: On every ship I have been on, the cabin walls are magnetic. Go to a dollar store, and get a few cheap magnets with the plastic clips on them. You can put things like shore excursion tickets, extra copies of fun times, or any advertisements for events you are interested in organized, then stick them to the wall. The cabins are small, and easy to lose track of little things. Magnetic walls help :cool:

5) Getting Ready: If you are near the spa/fitness center, or even not near it, the locker room is useful. The cabins are small, and the bathrooms are smaller. If you have multiple people getting dressed, showering, doing their hair, using the toilet, it can get... crazy and a little frustrating. This can be alleviated if one person goes to the spa locker room to shower and get ready. The locker room showers are nicer anyway. My wife takes forever to get ready, so I get out of her way, go there, and it takes less far time for both of us.

6) Port Changes: Though rare, it can happen that the cruise will skip a port (and refund your port fees and sponsored excursions) due to weather, safety, or even other random issues. So while picking a really cool itinerary is a good motivation to choose a cruise, just know ahead of time that it can happen and be prepared to make the best of it.They pretty much all have beaches, snorkeling, etc. I don't now your kids' ages, but if they are not old enough to handle disappointment, I wouldn't get too specific with them. Like I said, it is rare, but it is possible. In six cruises, the closest we have come is arriving to St. Thomas three hours late, and leaving later, and then last year Hurricane Harvey wrecked havoc to our itinerary, but we still hit all our ports (in a different order), except for getting back in time. We had to stop in New Orleans for resupply which is where my wife and I disembarked. Those who stayed on got a few extra days before Galveston opened back up. It all worked out, but like I said, things happen, just be prepared.

7) Kids' Stuff: I don't know your kids' ages, but I am sure you are aware of the kids activities, clubs, etc. I don't have kids so I have no experience with these clubs, but my understanding is the camps are great, but do your kids a favor and go to the initial meetings/sessions. I guess that is when the cliques or whatever form and kids do best when there from the beginning.

8) Dr. Seuss Breakfast: Since you mentioned it, nobody can register for it until on board anyway, so don't worry about that. Sometime on day one, there will be some dining staff somewhere on Lido (usually near the large elevator lobby) with clipboards and some Dr. Seuss accessories registering people. Find them and sign up, and you are good to go. Just to give you an idea, it is basically the same as a main dining room breakfast, with a few options added. It will be decorated with Dr. Seuss stuff, and full mascot costumed characters make an appearance and let you take photos. This event does have a modest charge, but I don't remember how much.

9) Packing: Do not over-pack! My rule of thumb is no more than an "airline approved carry-on" per person. First timers always over-pack. But...

10) Dress-Up: Bring something nice for elegant night. There is a scaled up dress code in the MDR once or twice per cruise. I wouldn't bother going full formal (unless you wanted to), have something nice enough to dress into. For me it is khakis and a button down shirt and for my wife a simple cocktail or summer dress. I usually bring a tie but don't bother using it.

11) Pre-Pay Gratuities: The crew work insane hours, like 80 hrs a week to take care of you, and they are ALWAYS pleasant and smiling. The service will blow you away. Like waiters and waitress back on land in the states, they are paid a very small salary with the expectation that gratuities will supplement. I am not sure what the actual numbers are anymore, but I think around 80-90% of their income is tips. I highly recommend pre-paying the gratuities on your booking, and then you don't need to think about it later, and you know the right amount will go to each person. If you feel someone goes above and beyond, you can always tip them in cash as well. If you don't pre-pay, then near the end of your cruise, your account will be hit with the same gratuities anyway. Many folks then remove them (occasionally but rarely for poor service, more often out of greed). This is a hot button issue on these forums so I will just say, if you pre-pay the auto-gratuities, you can know that the staff who serve you are take care of, and no need to worry :cool:

I am horribly long winded anyway, and it has been a slow night at work, so hopefully you find some useful thoughts in my voluminous reply here. :halo:You will have a great vacation!!!